Pickleball "true" advanced beginner schedule

Closed Thread
Old 11-18-2021, 07:10 AM

Come to Saddlebrook, Sat. & Wed., 10-12n. Let the group you're about to play with know that you are a Beginner. 90% will take it easy on you and help you learn the game. It's a good mix of Beginner to Intermediate.
If you come, look me up.
Randy
Old 11-18-2021, 08:18 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by roob1 View Post
Could it be that some enjoy competition, and obtain satisfaction from defeating others in a sport? Nothing wrong with that. After all, competition is an integral part of sports.
everyone who plays wants to win.....just some of us can appreciate the other aspects of the game if we don't win every time.
Old 11-18-2021, 11:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,343 Times in 519 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdOfFive View Post
My wife and I just got back from playing tennis at El Santiago. The pickleball courts abut the tennis courts.

Frankly, I don't see the allure.
I find pickle ball players less snobbish
Old 11-21-2021, 02:28 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Driver8 View Post
You got that right! It was almost enough to stop me from playing!
I’ve got to say I’m thinking of switching back to tennis where everything is well organized…one word that comes right to mind.

Cue up the Villagers who are going to say…oh never mind.

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 11-21-2021 at 02:47 PM.
Old 11-21-2021, 02:39 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by npwalters View Post
When my wife was a beginner we found the same thing. She went to the courts scheduled for beginners at 10 am and many of the players were actually the same folks that started playing during open play and were definitely NOT beginners. This was the case at 3 locations we tried.

Sad that many players won't leave and let the lower level player have their time. The rec center employees will seldom enforce it even if asked to.

The solution was to join a private group. Most meet at noon or later. A problem when the weather is hot but doable this time of year.
Another solution is to switch to tennis like I’m considering. Seems to be a much more easy-going and considerate sport. And much less crowded too. AND the courts are lighted for night play, so you can avoid the heat and sun, unlike pickleball.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:44 PM
Veteran member

I've played racquet sports both tennis and racquet ball in my 20s and 30s. I was also a runner and an amateur triathlete for 25 years. When I went to the beginners class the guy who instructed us and took us to play live as part of pickelball 101 told me I should try another sport. I thought OK, what a great way to treat a newcomer. I'm a gentleman otherwise I would have told him to put that pickle ball racquet where the sun don't shine.
Old 11-21-2021, 03:52 PM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,176 Times in 757 Posts

I thought "beginner" meant "beginner"..
Old 11-21-2021, 05:10 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by B-flat View Post
I've played racquet sports both tennis and racquet ball in my 20s and 30s. I was also a runner and an amateur triathlete for 25 years. When I went to the beginners class the guy who instructed us and took us to play live as part of pickelball 101 told me I should try another sport. I thought OK, what a great way to treat a newcomer. I'm a gentleman otherwise I would have told him to put that pickle ball racquet where the sun don't shine.
I can relate. I recently went to a local "open play" and when I said I'm an advanced beginner, one of the players told me "(Rec Center x) might be more to your liking." Nice.

Gotta love us Villagers here in America's Friendliest Hometown.
Old 11-21-2021, 05:42 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
Another solution is to switch to tennis like I’m considering. Seems to be a much more easy-going and considerate sport. And much less crowded too. AND the courts are lighted for night play, so you can avoid the heat and sun, unlike pickleball.
but the beauty of designated times for adv. begginer is that you can always find someone to play with. I recently looked at Latitudes in Daytona and no one was playing on their courts. there you must have to find others yourself to play with. I like the fact that if I wake up with relatively less aches and pains that day, that I can find a place to play. I'm just careful about where I go now. Though I make it a point to go back to the place where the woman told me she didn't want to play with me every chance I get, but luckily it's more crowded now and I can avoid playing with her.

I do enjoy watching her and noting she's not nearly as good as she thinks she it.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:09 PM
Veteran member

The advantage of tennis, the way it is usually set up here, is that you know you have exactly the number of players needed for a game. No waiting for someone to show up, no lines to sub in.

The disadvantage of tennis is you are committed to the days you sign up for. If you want to sleep in, sorry. If you feel like playing a set today, but didn’t signup, too bad. If you play a few games and just aren’t into it, you keep playing rather than leaving others in the lurch.

I do dislike they refer to early morning pickle ball as open play. Some courts are definitely advanced , some are advanced intermediate, and some are intermediate. They really should label them so new folks know what they are getting into.
Old 11-21-2021, 07:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiverpoolWalrus View Post
I can relate. I recently went to a local "open play" and when I said I'm an advanced beginner, one of the players told me "(Rec Center x) might be more to your liking." Nice.

Gotta love us Villagers here in America's Friendliest Hometown.
Yup the friendliest hometown.
Old 11-21-2021, 08:27 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by charmed59 View Post

I do dislike they refer to early morning pickle ball as open play. Some courts are definitely advanced , some are advanced intermediate, and some are intermediate. They really should label them so new folks know what they are getting into.
"Advanced beginner" is definitely labeled as such in Rec News, showing the location and times but it is overwhelmed by players who are not advanced beginners.

Last week I had to wait in line for over a half hour during an advanced beginner session. When my partner and I lost to two advanced players, the line was just as long as before. I decided it was not worth waiting another half hour to play again, just to encounter the same situation. Needless to say, the wait would not have been necessary if the higher level people weren't there.

Last edited by LiverpoolWalrus; 11-21-2021 at 08:41 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
advanced, beginner, pickleball, true, play

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.