Will Covid restrict the best player in US Open?

Closed Thread
Old 07-13-2022, 05:16 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 2,139 Times in 882 Posts

What I don't understand about these vaccination mandates is the fact that everyone can be a host for the virus, therefore able to spread it, vaccinated or not. So it seems preventing people from any activities because of vaccination status makes no sense for preventing spread of disease. I think preventing people who CHOOSE to not be vaccinated (not "unable to" for various reasons) from being treated for COVID in hospitals makes more sense.
Old 07-13-2022, 05:31 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,388 Times in 2,066 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by La lamy View Post
What I don't understand about these vaccination mandates is the fact that everyone can be a host for the virus, therefore able to spread it, vaccinated or not. So it seems preventing people from any activities because of vaccination status makes no sense for preventing spread of disease. I think preventing people who CHOOSE to not be vaccinated (not "unable to" for various reasons) from being treated for COVID in hospitals makes more sense.
Initially it was to prevent spread of the disease and to minimize hospitalizations at a time when hospitals were overwhelmed. The vaccine still helps with both today but at a lesser extent than a year ago.

In my opinion, a lot of what is happening with vaccination mandates today are businesses deciding their employees are not going to just wait them out. It doesn't matter that the urgent need for everyone to be vaccinated has passed, they don't want to let the hold-outs win. I can understand that, they need to choose a precedent to set for next time - do their mandates have any teeth or can an individual just delay until the mandate is dropped?

Victor, NY
Randallstown, MD
Yakima, WA
Stevensville, MD
Village of Hillsborough
Old 07-13-2022, 05:37 AM

I'll post so you can understand. If they shut down all sports, it would be fine with me. We have forgotten that it's a game and has no bearing on society. Over paid with little contribution to the world and its problems. It's time to take sports off the pedestal and quit worshipping it
Old 07-13-2022, 05:40 AM

You mean the #7 ranked player...

Pos Player Points
1 D. Medvedev 7775
2 A. Zverev 6850
3 R. Nadal 6165
4 S. Tsitsipas 5150
5 C. Ruud 5050
6 C. Alcaraz 4845
7 N. Djokovic 4770
8 A. Rublev 3700
9 F. Auger-Aliassime 3445
10 J. Sinner 3185
Old 07-13-2022, 06:28 AM
Sage
Location: The Villages and the Northern Neck on the Chesapeake Bay, VA.
Thanked 3,110 Times in 1,342 Posts

Control. A must for some, a free ride for others. No matter how many times you are poked you can still catch and spread it to others.
Old 07-13-2022, 06:56 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,682 Times in 1,534 Posts

Quote:
I agree. Of course it doesn't make any sense.

But just how much of this through-the-looking-glass world we have today DOES make sense?
Old 07-13-2022, 06:59 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,722 Times in 665 Posts

Quote:
Nothing is 100%. Vaccines help reduce the spread. If everyone had gotten vaccinated last year, then we probably would be done with COVID, since combining that with people's immunity that got it would more than likely push us past herd immunity. But, a few people (I think the number was 12) on the internet started spreading nonsense theories about the vaccination and those theories went viral. So, we are stuck where we are - heading for Dark Ages v2.0
Old 07-13-2022, 07:01 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captainpd View Post
I'll post so you can understand. If they shut down all sports, it would be fine with me. We have forgotten that it's a game and has no bearing on society. Over paid with little contribution to the world and its problems. It's time to take sports off the pedestal and quit worshipping it
Sadly, too many are still into tribalism with a little idol worship thrown in, and sports is just another my village can kick your villages a$$.

I agree with you, btw.
Old 07-13-2022, 07:06 AM
Default Wrong

First of all is is not a vaccine second to refuse medical treatment to anyone is barbaric shame on you…
Old 07-13-2022, 08:16 AM

Take the shot or don’t play. Seems reasonable unless you’re an anti vaxer in which case you don’t play.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:24 AM
Soaring Eagle member

Novak can make his choice to get vaccinated but he’s basically a guest to play in the U.S. Open, it’s not mandatory that he a shoe in just because of his ranking. Just like when he did & he didn’t mean to smack a ball & hit a line judge. You could see he was very sadden that he did it & was disqualified from tournament. He knows the rules just like all the other players. I know because I played tennis for 50 yrs. & have a grandson that’s tennis pro here in Texas. I’ve seen disqualifications for less than not getting a Covid vaccination! But I do agree with Novak & the USPTA.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:26 AM

Why are we still denying natural immunity?
Old 07-13-2022, 08:31 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wamley View Post
Why are we still denying natural immunity?
Who said anything about denying "natural immunity" (I assume you mean immunity conferred by having had COVID?) Rules are Rules as some people say here, and there is a rule, no jab no play.

It seems he really just doesn't think rules apply to him.
Old 07-13-2022, 08:31 AM
Soaring Eagle member

It doesn’t make any difference if he is ranked #7 or #107 he knows the rules. Pro’s aren’t automatically in tournaments, they’re guest!
Old 07-13-2022, 09:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,922 Times in 2,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartinSE View Post
Nothing is 100%. Vaccines help reduce the spread. If everyone had gotten vaccinated last year, then we probably would be done with COVID, since combining that with people's immunity that got it would more than likely push us past herd immunity. But, a few people (I think the number was 12) on the internet started spreading nonsense theories about the vaccination and those theories went viral. So, we are stuck where we are - heading for Dark Ages v2.0

Wrong. Most people with Covid had it before, the vaccine just reduces symptoms in most cases it don’t and will never prevent spread. If it did I never would of got it with 3 shots.

Last edited by Topspinmo; 07-13-2022 at 01:28 PM.
Closed Thread

Tags
open, covid, ban, solely, player

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.