Bright Line Eating Program created by Susan Pierce Thompson

Closed Thread
Old 01-08-2020, 07:32 AM
Default Bright Line Eating Program created by Susan Pierce Thompson

We are looking for anyone else who is living the Bright Line Eating Program. My husband and I just started the Boot Camp Program this year and were wondering if anyone else in TV were also members of it. If you are, would you like to meet and maybe start a support group here?
Old 01-08-2020, 08:28 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

I would be wary of any "diet" that boasts "Happy, THIN, and free" as their catch-phrase. It is designed to shame everyone who is not "thin" - which would be the vast majority of the world. It's also designed to celebrate low weight as a measure of success, rather than overall health and fitness. Thinness comes with its own medical headaches. Thin does not equate with health, just as plump does not equate with ill health. There is obesity, and there is emaciation - all else is inbetween, and thin is not, and should not, be the #1 priority.
Old 01-08-2020, 06:37 PM

Wrong on all judgements of a program that 15 years later is the only program in the world with an 83% success rate for keeping off the weight for more than 10 years and beyond. Perhaps you should read the book.
Old 01-08-2020, 07:25 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

That sounds amazing! Most of the people I know go back to their previous weight a bit after they stop the diet. Food can be addictive, I love delicious food but health is even more addictive.
Old 01-08-2020, 08:20 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by dfjcschaich View Post
Wrong on all judgements of a program that 15 years later is the only program in the world with an 83% success rate for keeping off the weight for more than 10 years and beyond. Perhaps you should read the book.
The program was invented in 2014. So that's only 6 years, not 15, and it certainly isn't possible to measure a success rate of 10+ years, since it's only existed for 6.
Old 01-09-2020, 07:31 AM

Susan Pierce Thompson PHD is a doctor of Brain and Cognitive Science Disorders. She personally created this program 15 years ago and went public with in 2014 after seeing results with a small group of friends. Since then, the number of members has grown to a few thousand world-wide and most of them are still following the plan. Her book, Bright Line Eating, explains how the brain becomes addicted to sugar, flour, alcohol, nicotine, drugs, etc. The program rewires the brain to stop the addictions to food through a food plan that allows for grains, vegetables, fruits, dairy, plant and meat protein. However, it doesn’t allow for added sugar or flour of any kind. That is tough for most of the population, therefore, the reason for the world’s obesity rate. Members eat three meals a day and in the (large) quantities stated in the plan. For instance, Dinner is 4 oz of any plant or meat protein you like, 6 oz of any vegetable, 8 oz of a salad and 1 oz of a fat. Use a scale to measure out any of these and see what I mean by large quantities. Breakfast and lunch includes 6 oz of fruit, but cuts the salad. Breakfast includes a grain, but cuts the vegetable. Anyway, the focus is on losing the weight by breaking the addictions, getting healthy and fit, taking away the obsession of counting calories or points, no fake food to eat, no group weigh-ins, no shaming, nothing like any other programs out there. It does have a huge online, private support group, hundreds of teaching and informational videos by Dr. Thompson, and other support items. No exercise programs to start unless you’ve already been enjoying one. There’s a great video by Susan Pierce Thompson on the website, Home - Bright Line Eating™ that explains what the program is all about. I would also recommend reading her book before a person makes harsh judgements about it without fully understanding what the program entails and why the success rate remains 83% no matter how many years it’s been available to the public. It’s working wonderfully for my husband and I.
Old 01-09-2020, 09:32 AM
Sage

You're getting sucked right in to this without paying attention to the numbers that are even in their own advertising blurb. Here are THEIR numbers, pulled directly from your post and from the website:

15 years ago she came up with the idea. She got a "small group of friends" to try it with her. 83% of that small group of friends are still doing it, 15 years later. Sounds great right? But here's the rest:

The program became "official" in 2014, just 6 years ago. So NO ONE who has used the program since it became official and commercialized has successfully continued it for 15 years. ZERO PERCENT.

That means of the "thousands" who are on the program, a very minute percentage of people who are using it now, have successfully continued using it for 15 years.

I'd like to see the data source that proves that ANY significant percentage of paying customers show a success rate of sustainability.

This is an incredibly limited, restricted, and strict diet. It appears to be based on caloric intake. Calories in, calories out.

The only people who can't handle sugar and flour are people with medical issues, and with people who over-eat these things. Not everyone over-eats these - you can look at all the people who are NOT obese, but consume foods containing both sugar and flour, as your proof. Like me, as one example. I'm overweight - but I've never hopped into the category of obese. My body type used to be referred to as "plump" or "curvy" back in the day. I don't waddle around, I don't have a triple chin, and I can see my toes when I look down. I wear a size 12. I eat bread almost every day. When I make my pastries I always have a few of them. I like milk chocolate, and usually have a piece or two every week.

I've actually lost 10 pounds in the 2 months I've been living here. Why? Because I was stressed previously, not getting enough exercise, not being outdoors enough, not moving as much, and eating more fast food and less whole food.

Now I get out almost every day, walk wherever and whenever I can (including 8/10th of a mile to the postal station and back if it's not raining), I'm eating more whole foods and fewer fast foods. The only things I've completely eliminated so far is pizza - something I might have once or twice in a month and certainly not enough to cause a 10-pound weight difference.

MOST people in the world are not obese. MOST people in the world eat foods containing flour, and foods containing sugar, on a weekly if not daily basis.

In fact, there are people in the world who are obese, who don't eat any flour or sugar - and they don't lose the weight.

Real actual research is likely to show you that eliminating flour and sugar from your diet is not what will lose the weight for you and if you are brought up consuming these things, it could even set you up for a relapse gain when you realize you miss these foods too much to sustain a diet that way.

Is it guaranteed that you'll fall off the diet? Nope. But that 83% only refers to the "small handful of friends" she started this journey with. I see no evidence, no science, no medical studies, no spreadsheets, that indicates that this diet has an 83% success rate.
Old 01-09-2020, 10:10 AM
Platinum member
Thanked 1,780 Times in 728 Posts

Quote:
Susan Pierce Thompson PHD is a doctor of Brain and Cognitive Science Disorders. She personally created this program 15 years ago and went public with in 2014 after seeing results with a small group of friends. Since then, the number of members has grown to a few thousand world-wide and most of them are still following the plan. Her book, Bright Line Eating, explains how the brain becomes addicted to sugar, flour, alcohol, nicotine, drugs, etc. The program rewires the brain to stop the addictions to food through a food plan that allows for grains, vegetables, fruits, dairy, plant and meat protein. However, it doesn’t allow for added sugar or flour of any kind. That is tough for most of the population, therefore, the reason for the world’s obesity rate. Members eat three meals a day and in the (large) quantities stated in the plan. For instance, Dinner is 4 oz of any plant or meat protein you like, 6 oz of any vegetable, 8 oz of a salad and 1 oz of a fat. Use a scale to measure out any of these and see what I mean by large quantities. Breakfast and lunch includes 6 oz of fruit, but cuts the salad. Breakfast includes a grain, but cuts the vegetable. Anyway, the focus is on losing the weight by breaking the addictions, getting healthy and fit, taking away the obsession of counting calories or points, no fake food to eat, no group weigh-ins, no shaming, nothing like any other programs out there. It does have a huge online, private support group, hundreds of teaching and informational videos by Dr. Thompson, and other support items. No exercise programs to start unless you’ve already been enjoying one. There’s a great video by Susan Pierce Thompson on the website, Home - Bright Line Eating™ that explains what the program is all about. I would also recommend reading her book before a person makes harsh judgements about it without fully understanding what the program entails and why the success rate remains 83% no matter how many years it’s been available to the public. It’s working wonderfully for my husband and I.
Thank you for providing this information. There definitely is an obese America and it’s getting worse. Thin is not a naughty word. A Dr. Gott who was featured years ago in newspaper columns encouraged the population to eliminate white flour and sugar from their diets and their health and weight would change for the better. Your author and Dr. Gott are so right! Dr. Gott also advised against white potatoes and white rice. It’s a given that exercise is important along with a healthy diet but for those whose brains are addicted to sugar, (yes there are studies proving the brain does react to sugar), this diet change can be amazing. I removed the suggested foods from my diet in mid October when I started with a cold. I didn’t add those foods back because the cold was surprisingly short, I began sleeping so much better and best of all, I was dropping weight! Twenty two pounds have disappeared since mid October and I feel terrific. Sleeping through the night is wonderful too. If we look at the generations before us, we can see the population as a whole is in trouble with weight, especially our children. A good, common sense food plan certainly can’t hurt. Btw, it takes a couple of weeks off of sugar and those two starches before you begin to feel better. Stopping sugar leaves one feeling crummy, it’s breaking an addiction. One doesn’t have to scour packaging for every bit of sugar, just avoid the sweets and white starches, food craving is gone.
Old 01-09-2020, 11:04 AM

Thank you! You described the benefits of the Bright Line Eating Program very well. My addiction besides sugar was chocolate, the number one addiction for women. I’m all aware of the “health benefits” in chocolate and that’s the sabotaging self-talk to keep me addicted to it. Blueberries are far more higher in all of the nutrients found in chocolate. I was eating the 85% dark chocolate for “health reasons” until I realized through BLE it’s also a trigger to keep the sugar/chocolate addiction alive and doing well, hence the extra pounds of fat around my middle. We’ve only just started this program the beginning of the year and the weight is coming off nicely and neither my husband nor I feel deprived of any food groups. The sleeping more soundly is a nice bonus!
Old 01-09-2020, 03:07 PM

I’ve learned there is a group of Bright Lifers established in TV and I will be meeting them tomorrow so there’s no longer any need to continue posting. My inquiry did exactly as I had set out to do. I wish you a happy life.
Old 01-09-2020, 04:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aces4 View Post
Thank you for providing this information. There definitely is an obese America and it’s getting worse. Thin is not a naughty word. A Dr. Gott who was featured years ago in newspaper columns encouraged the population to eliminate white flour and sugar from their diets and their health and weight would change for the better. Your author and Dr. Gott are so right! Dr. Gott also advised against white potatoes and white rice. It’s a given that exercise is important along with a healthy diet but for those whose brains are addicted to sugar, (yes there are studies proving the brain does react to sugar), this diet change can be amazing. I removed the suggested foods from my diet in mid October when I started with a cold. I didn’t add those foods back because the cold was surprisingly short, I began sleeping so much better and best of all, I was dropping weight! Twenty two pounds have disappeared since mid October and I feel terrific. Sleeping through the night is wonderful too. If we look at the generations before us, we can see the population as a whole is in trouble with weight, especially our children. A good, common sense food plan certainly can’t hurt. Btw, it takes a couple of weeks off of sugar and those two starches before you begin to feel better. Stopping sugar leaves one feeling crummy, it’s breaking an addiction. One doesn’t have to scour packaging for every bit of sugar, just avoid the sweets and white starches, food craving is gone.
Congratulations on the loss. It sounds like you were eating too many calories and not enough nutrition. You're now eating fewer calories which automatically results in a net loss. If you had cut out ANY foods with the same number of calories, you would have the same net loss of weight.

Keep in mind though - ALL fruits contain sugar. So if you want to truly "walk the walk" you'll need to eliminate all fruits. Otherwise, you're not really eliminating all sugars at all. Just refined white sugar. Which is fine - just don't fool yourself. That's when people fall off their diets and add the weight right back again.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Congratulations on the loss. It sounds like you were eating too many calories and not enough nutrition. You're now eating fewer calories which automatically results in a net loss. If you had cut out ANY foods with the same number of calories, you would have the same net loss of weight.

Keep in mind though - ALL fruits contain sugar. So if you want to truly "walk the walk" you'll need to eliminate all fruits. Otherwise, you're not really eliminating all sugars at all. Just refined white sugar. Which is fine - just don't fool yourself. That's when people fall off their diets and add the weight right back again.
Yes, I was doing the same thing you and most of the rest of America is doing, eating a diet with refined sugar. This nutrition guideline is eliminating refined sugar and not fruit’s natural sugars which are a mix of glucose, fructose and lactose. Following the eating guidelines removing refined sugar leaves no craving for overindulgence in any one food including fruit. I’m not dieting, done with diets and counting points, calories, etc. This is a nutrition change and eating healthy has never been easier for me. By the same token, I seldom eat fried food.
Old 01-09-2020, 05:38 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
I’ve learned there is a group of Bright Lifers established in TV and I will be meeting them tomorrow so there’s no longer any need to continue posting. My inquiry did exactly as I had set out to do. I wish you a happy life.
Excellent, happy it worked out for you.
Old 01-12-2020, 08:33 AM

Thank you for your reply. You are correct. BLE cuts out refined, added sugar plus refined and processed flour. The two food items that block the hormone leptin from doing it's job, and wrecks havoc with the dopamine levels in the brain which then affects levels of insulin in the blood. No one needs added sugar nor flour in the food they eat daily. I highly recommend reading the book to fully understand how all of this affects weight gain and loss plus learn all of the science behind this plan.
Old 01-12-2020, 09:13 AM
Sage
Thanked 7,279 Times in 2,480 Posts

If you are an arthritis sufferer, cutting out all processed foods will go along way to helping lessen the symptoms, and pain.
Closed Thread

Tags
program, bright, line, eating, members

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.