Caregivers Support Group (non Alzheimers)

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2018, 08:54 PM
Thumbs up Caregivers Support Group (non Alzheimers)

I would like to start a caregivers support group for those involved in caring for a loved one with a physical or mental disability other than alzheimers. If you are interested in such a group please contact me at caroren32@gmail.com

Last edited by Villager32; 05-07-2018 at 08:56 PM. Reason: Addition
Old 05-08-2018, 05:43 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Villager32 View Post
I would like to start a caregivers support group for those involved in caring for a loved one with a physical or mental disability other than alzheimers. If you are interested in such a group please contact me at caroren32@gmail.com
This is an excellent idea and is already working in both Hadley and Summerhill, maybe other Villages too. You may wish to contact Pat Worcester at 352-399-5239 who leads the Summerhill Caring Neighbors. She has information on help that is available from the United Way to set up these groups.

Good luck with starting your group, it is a lot of work, but very important in a retirement community.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 05-24-2018, 09:49 PM

Thank you for your suggestion. I will look into them. I also have someone from TriCounty Resource Center who would like to help get this started. Please let me know of anyone who is interested in a group like this.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:16 AM

Hi Caroren,

I founded a group called AACID (Advocates for Adult Children with Intellectual Disabilities) here in the Villages 4 years ago with 12 families I now have 170 plus families in the group.

Call me or send you number and I’ll call you to give more details about my group. It might be what you are looking for if not I may know of another group that might work for you.

I sent you an email yesterday my email address is jtklangan@aol.com

If you like you are welcome to come to one of my meetings to see if any of my families are interested in helping you set up your support group. Just let me know.

My group is more about providing information and helping families plan and find services, agencies, residential and financial future. Feel free to email me as I don’t get on TV that much any more. My wife kind of keeps me aware of special needs posts. Thank you Coach John.
Ps. AACID is not a none for profit nor a company. I am just a retired dad of a 30 son with Intellectual disabilities, Autism and a seizure disorder and I just wanted to help families in need. Have a blessed day.
Old 06-04-2018, 10:28 AM

I understand that The Tri-County Caregiver Resource Center is in the process of starting such a group. They are a non-profit serving seniors and their families in The Villages and surrounding areas. Their email address is info@tricountycaregiverresourcecenter.com. I'm sure they would love to know about your interest and any ideas that you have.

Closed Thread

Tags
caregivers, alzheimers, support, group, physical

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.