Dementia support available

Closed Thread
Old 05-21-2021, 06:18 AM
Question Dementia support available

Hi,
We've been snowbirding in The Villages for many years and love it. When we got home last year, after noticing behavioral and ability changes in my husband, our doctor advised he be evaluated and was he was formally diagnosed with dementia. He is no longer driving and there are many things that he can't do that he used to. However, he's very verbal and still makes jokes and can participate in clubs and activities so I want to come down again for 4 or so months this coming winter.
My questions are: 1. Support groups for him; 2. getting a companion to stay with him if I want to go to a club that he doesn't want to and, finally, 3. if things go downhill rapidly (hopefully they won't), where can I find help?
I did call Visiting Angels as I saw their cars around last year. They want a 4 hour minimum and would prefer a regular schedule. Obviously, if I have to go this route I will but it would be sooooooooooo nice to just be able to call someone to come by for 2 or 3 hours so I could go to pilates or a book club. I was thinking of inviting someone to come down and stay with us in exchange for this type of companionship with him a few hours a week.
Any and all suggestions would be extremely welcome. Thank you!!!
Old 05-21-2021, 06:40 AM
Sage
Thanked 9,370 Times in 3,050 Posts

There is a group called the Day-Break Club, where caregivers can get a few hours of time away while volunteers entertain and keep company with the people who need care. It meets once a week at Odell Rec center, Tuesdays from 1-4. You have to sign up for it and I believe there's a waiting list. You can check their website, Home
Old 05-21-2021, 08:00 AM

My wife runs a free on-line Savvy support group for caregivers for Your Key to Senior Living Options. Her name is Josephine Cirrinone. The number is (352) 446-5749
Old 05-21-2021, 09:48 AM
Sage
Thanked 2,008 Times in 1,003 Posts

i've seen help available for caregivers, but none really for the patient. my hubby sounds like yours, & i've been looking for a club that would have activities he could engage in with other guys for the male bonding thing. it's a tough find, let us know if you hear of something.
Old 05-23-2021, 06:24 AM

Thank you so much!!!
Old 05-23-2021, 06:25 AM

Thank you!
Old 05-23-2021, 06:35 AM

Thank you. I know I can't be alone as we've met people at clubs who were obviously memory impaired. I've found a few online support groups that are virtual through the alzheimers association and AARP had listings but I suspect they will soon not be virtual.
As a temporary resident (I rent) I can't start a group but I'd be very very happy to help in starting one. I'm going to try and get down by December latest, depending on how he does and how difficult I find it to get there with him and our cat. I'm learning how to navigate this site so I will post if I can if and when I get down. I agree totally they need to talk and interact with others going through the same thing. Right now that's my first priority.
Old 05-26-2021, 11:42 AM
Sage

I volunteer for a wonderful group that provides support for caregivers to have three hours every week to themselves. The caregivers drop off their charges to a very positive setting where there is nurse care, live entertainment, games, and a generally very happy, fun environment. The group is designed to give the caregivers some free time, but the ones they care for love it and look forward to it every week. I know this from experience.

As you might have guessed, the group has not met in some time. But the organizers and volunteers are back meeting again, and the plan is for full functioning weekly gatherings to start up again in July.

This is a fixed-schedule event each week, but if you have any interest at all or would like further information, you are welcome to PM me or post a reply here and I could contact you.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:20 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

https://trustedhcs.com/

I have been using this group but they also want a fairly regular schedule and come for shifts of four hours or more. It is well worth the money though to get a break.

There are many other such providers too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by safelsen View Post
Hi,
We've been snowbirding in The Villages for many years and love it. When we got home last year, after noticing behavioral and ability changes in my husband, our doctor advised he be evaluated and was he was formally diagnosed with dementia. He is no longer driving and there are many things that he can't do that he used to. However, he's very verbal and still makes jokes and can participate in clubs and activities so I want to come down again for 4 or so months this coming winter.
My questions are: 1. Support groups for him; 2. getting a companion to stay with him if I want to go to a club that he doesn't want to and, finally, 3. if things go downhill rapidly (hopefully they won't), where can I find help?
I did call Visiting Angels as I saw their cars around last year. They want a 4 hour minimum and would prefer a regular schedule. Obviously, if I have to go this route I will but it would be sooooooooooo nice to just be able to call someone to come by for 2 or 3 hours so I could go to pilates or a book club. I was thinking of inviting someone to come down and stay with us in exchange for this type of companionship with him a few hours a week.
Any and all suggestions would be extremely welcome. Thank you!!!
Old 05-26-2021, 01:30 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I volunteer for a wonderful group that provides support for caregivers to have three hours every week to themselves. The caregivers drop off their charges to a very positive setting where there is nurse care, live entertainment, games, and a generally very happy, fun environment. The group is designed to give the caregivers some free time, but the ones they care for love it and look forward to it every week. I know this from experience.

As you might have guessed, the group has not met in some time. But the organizers and volunteers are back meeting again, and the plan is for full functioning weekly gatherings to start up again in July.

This is a fixed-schedule event each week, but if you have any interest at all or would like further information, you are welcome to PM me or post a reply here and I could contact you.
Unless there's more than one, that's the Day-Break club that I described above. I'm a volunteer there too!
Old 05-26-2021, 01:40 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts

Tri-County Caregiver Resource Center.

The Villages Caregiver Resource Center of Lake, Sumter & Marion County

I have found the woman who runs this quite helpful.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 05-26-2021 at 01:47 PM.
Old 05-26-2021, 01:47 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrangeBlossomBaby View Post
Unless there's more than one, that's the Day-Break club that I described above. I'm a volunteer there too!
Nope. Something different.

They do appear to be similar groups though.
Old 05-26-2021, 06:28 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Nope. Something different.

They do appear to be similar groups though.
That's awesome! It's good to know there are options for care-givers to "get a break" a few times a week, to run errands, enjoy an hour or two by themselves or socializing with others, while their loved ones are kept safe, entertained, and engaged in their own socialization activities.
Closed Thread

Tags
things, dementia, call, support, stay

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.