Major Depression symptom list

Closed Thread
Old 09-03-2013, 08:13 AM
Sage
Default Major Depression symptom list

Major D happens to a lot of us. Often preceded by stressful life events, especially those we can't control.

In the same way an m.d. uses criteria for making a diagnosis, we can use this checklist of behavior and mood. There is comfort in knowing that we all do and feel about the same when our brain chemistry is out of kilter.

Major Depressive Episode Symptoms | Psych Central site has interactive quiz too.

I worked in social work and mental health for years and saw many magical turnarounds in people who felt like they were in the bottom of a black barrel and would never enjoy life again. My favorite turnaround was my own, following divorce.

Antidepressants are misunderstood as being feel good chemicals. Not so; their main thrust is to inhibit the brain from excessive reabsorption of serotonin, which is normally present in the tissues.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:40 AM
Platinum member

Thank you Kitty! Sometimes that little bit of awareness can encourage people to seek treatment, knowing that there are effective treatments that can make life better.
Old 09-03-2013, 08:44 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post
Major D happens to a lot of us. Often preceded by stressful life events, especially those we can't control.

In the same way an m.d. uses criteria for making a diagnosis, we can use this checklist of behavior and mood. There is comfort in knowing that we all do and feel about the same when our brain chemistry is out of kilter.

Major Depressive Episode Symptoms | Psych Central site has interactive quiz too.

I worked in social work and mental health for years and saw many magical turnarounds in people who felt like they were in the bottom of a black barrel and would never enjoy life again. My favorite turnaround was my own, following divorce.

Antidepressants are misunderstood as being feel good chemicals. Not so; their main thrust is to inhibit the brain from excessive reabsorption of serotonin, which is normally present in the tissues.

You are right Kitty. In the sixties and seventies many people would brag about taking "nerve pills". Often for just having a hectic day.

Now we know that many things can trigger a change in the normally occurring levels of serotonin in our brain. Science can restore that level to normal. If you ask a lot of well functioning and normal souls they will tell you that they have been prescribed medicine that helped them.

Many people have problems with serotonin just simply because we are growing older.

That does not take away from the other kinds of help available, such as warmth and friendship and support from folks who care.

We may need, or be better for, both.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:14 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygilchrist View Post

Good to see you posting stuff like this. NAMI also has support groups which may be of help to some people. http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Sec...iateFinder.cfm
http://www.nami.org/Template.cfm?Sec...e=FL&lstid=799
Old 09-07-2013, 08:24 AM
Sage
Smile

Lifestream Behavioral Center across 466a from Walgreens would be a good place to start for counseling and medication management. 352-259-4762
340 Heald Way, Suite 208, The Villages. Thanks for pointing this out. A person never knows when they may need the service of an expert.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:26 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I wouldn't like to feel "drugged", but new medications can help people who are very anxious, worried, or down and do not make them feel drugged or make them addicted. It is hard for some of us older folks to realize that it isn't a lack of character that causes us to have these symptoms.

Unfortunately many of those folks live alone and don't have someone to MAKE them seek help.

It is hard to help people in that situation, especially if they think "It will pass".

It is much easier for folks around someone who needs some professional help to see they need it then the person who needs it to see it.
Old 09-07-2013, 08:33 AM
Sage

thanks to Tal and jnieman for the info. I've had conversations with people here who had difficulty finding a psychiatrist. I'm glad to know about Lifestream for myself to cope with seasonal disorder (shudder, November is coming.)
I hope the open view to the east in my new house will help--it's the reason I bought this lot and am happy to be even as little as 60 miles farther south.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.