One Blood attempted platelet donation. 10/08/2015

Closed Thread
Old 10-09-2015, 07:49 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,295 Times in 2,044 Posts
Exclamation One Blood attempted platelet donation. 10/08/2015

The Villages Florida

This was a hot mess with the vein punctured through-and-through and my not noticing it and doing something about it right away. This was my 65th or thereabouts donation according to OneBlood but that does not count the few donations to LifeSouth and Tampa Bay area donation centers in visits after I gave them the donation estimate in 2007.

The vein has only been skewered through like this three times in the about 72 times I have tried to donate blood.

I will have to take a break for my arm to heal completely though for 56 days.

I did get to watch 30 minutes of The Descendants but probably would have had my arm explode if we continued all the way through it. My high pain threshold is not an asset is certain situations like this one.

I will be the 56 year old male Villager who looks like he came out of a Walking Dead set-- at least my arm anyway-- for a few weeks. I am not craving brains though.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 10-09-2015 at 07:59 AM.
Old 10-09-2015, 08:48 AM
Veteran member

You've done your share of good for others. You might want to quit while you're ahead.

That is a risky procedure, with putting back into the donor's body the unused portion of the blood taken, which runs thru tubing and machinery subject to contamination. Human beings running that, and the required safeguards, are not perfect and they can and do make mistakes.
Old 10-10-2015, 11:13 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by goodtimesintv View Post
You've done your share of good for others. You might want to quit while you're ahead.

That is a risky procedure, with putting back into the donor's body the unused portion of the blood taken, which runs thru tubing and machinery subject to contamination. Human beings running that, and the required safeguards, are not perfect and they can and do make mistakes.
They only make mistakes very rarely and I should have spoke up as soon as I felt that something was off with the donation process.

I do have a kind of milquetoast personality unless fighting for survivors/victims of crimes on Facebook and Findlaw and elsewhere in my 224 613 Project. I can though assert myself when needed as I would not have gotten through law school at the University of Minnesota without taking a stand for something I believed in at that time.

I am sure that the woman who pushed the needle through felt terrible about the mistake she made. She sure apologized profusely.
Old 10-10-2015, 02:34 PM
Gold member

Sorry to hear about your issue. I hope the pain doesn't last too long. I gave another triple yesterday. There were several of the Loud Boys there donating because they had a game today.
Old 10-12-2015, 03:59 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftyf View Post
Sorry to hear about your issue. I hope the pain doesn't last too long. I gave another triple yesterday. There were several of the Loud Boys there donating because they had a game today.
Glad that you are doing this.

My arm is going through a rainbow of colors as it heals.

Next donation though as soon as I feel so much as a prick for more than five seconds I am going to have to have them pull the plug so to speak. George Clooney is a good actor at times but Descendants was not that good to suffer an unsightly arm for a month or so.
Closed Thread

Tags
arm, donation, times, blood, vein, continued, high, pain, explode, descendants, minutes, watch, threshold, asset, set--, dead, walking, anyway--, weeks, loco, brains, craving, situations, year, male

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.