Senior orphans

Closed Thread
Old 07-16-2018, 08:18 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tall4mom View Post
I thought the message meant there was no family around for friendship and support. Did not think she was talking about parents.
I may be wrong in the original poster's interpretation of an "orphan", but I thought he was referring to people who are now single, whose parents have passed, no siblings and no family support, i.e. no one to turn to when you may get too old to handle your own affairs.

I have a acquaintance who takes an orphaned lady out for lunch once a month - there is no payment involved, she does it out of respect and friendship, and because she enjoys her company. The orphan has no intention of being in an assisted living home and continues to live by herself at the age of 90+. There must be many people living in TV in these circumstances.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-16-2018, 08:35 AM
Default Senior orphans

Interesting idea you have. I am in that boat as well. Starting a family of senior orphans group would be excellent. Count me in and I would be glad to help set up a group. Lynn Moore email address is lmodesigns@bellsouth.net Thanks and have a great day
Old 07-16-2018, 08:38 AM

I am alone with out spouse, children or siblings.

Those saying "join an existing club" don't know what it is like to be alone. People in clubs are not going to help you with the worries a family member would. You need help if you are seriously ill, you need a power of attorney, you need a medical POA, etc.

You need to be checked on because its likely you will die and sit for weeks in your house.

I've been hear a year. I have found friendly people but no one who formed a friendship that involved regularly calling me outside of club time - maybe occasionally but not regularly. People are not *that* friendly.

Before replying in this thread: If you have family to help you in life, try to imagine, in detail, what your life would be like with absolutely no family. What does family do for you? What would you do if you had no one to do those things? Do you really think a friend would do *everything* for you that family does? I think there are very few friends like that, and they certainly are not commonly made by older people coming alone to a new area. So the suggestion is that such people support each other. That's what this post is about.
Old 07-16-2018, 09:00 AM

There are a number of singles groups in TV whose purpose is to give single “orphans” the opportunity to connect through various activities. Try Single Baby Boomers, or if you live south of 466A, Single Baby Boomers South. There is golf for singles as well as dance groups and others I don’t know about. SBB has sign up sheets for dinners out, cards, etc. as well as kayaking, golf, and bicycling. Check out the clubs! Best of luck!
Old 07-16-2018, 02:48 PM

Excellent legal resource for seniors: Millhorn Elder Law Planning Group, 11294 US Hwy 301, Oxford, 352.753.9333.
Old 07-16-2018, 06:04 PM
Smile "elder orphans"

LOL - that is most of us! Try doing some singles/widows/etc groups. You will find friends who are supportive. Help set up a neighborhood watch were you have a "sign" with a neighbor that you are ok each morning.
For example: Raise a particular blind or current so neighbors are aware you are up and about.
I held a Christmas Orphan party last 2 years for anyone not planning to be with family for Christmas dinner. I made a turkey and ham and everyone else contributed what they felt like bringing. We had over 32 people for a sit down dinner in a small 2 br Villa - Great fun and will be doing it again this year.
Just a thought.
Old 07-16-2018, 07:31 PM

I don't fall into the category, but there are several single clubs. Is it possible they have what you are looking for? If not, you can check with the Rec Dept about finding enough interest to start a group. Also, some of the special interest clubs are good places to connect with people who enjoy similar activities--my husband and I have a small group of other couples we found to share holidays with. Good luck finding a group where you have the support and friendship you're looking for.
Old 07-16-2018, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
Is there a support group in TV for senior orphans?
I am in the same boat.I would be glad to join a Senior Orphan Group or ck on you whenever you want and you could do the same for me.I am concerned about needing help and not being able to contact anyone.
Old 07-18-2018, 01:25 PM
Smile Community for senior orphans

Dear "Senior Orphans",
I just created a social group under the "Community" section at the top of the TOTV website. Please join and welcome!
Old 07-18-2018, 03:09 PM

thank you for explaining the elder orphan exactly. it means having no one literally "no one" to have your back. i just returned from trying to join a group. no hello or welcome. just was chastised for not wearing their uniform of black top & silver necklace. mean girls grow up & turn into mean old women.
Old 07-18-2018, 03:27 PM
Gold member
Location: British Columbia, Seattle and Haciendas at Mission Hills

this was in the news where we moved from today, just sharing for interest.

Edmonds author starts a group for 'Elder Orphans' - My Edmonds News
Old 07-18-2018, 03:51 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post

Jane, thank you for posting this. It is no surprise to me that there is a need for an Elder Orphans Group right here in TV. I have a neighbor who fights loneliness due to the early death of her spouse, she is part of a small group of ladies all handling the loneliness of aging alone. At one time we had a lovely neighbor who sold up and with two other "orphans" purchased a Premier home so that they had company and could help each other.

I am fortunate to have two sons who would probably take care of my needs, but I have no wish to live where they live and would much rather stay in TV in my own home.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-19-2018, 11:20 AM
Post Thank you

Dear Jane,
Thank you for posting the link re "Elder Orphans". It is nice to have your support and input regarding this subject.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jane032657 View Post

Old 07-19-2018, 11:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
Dear Jane,
Thank you for posting the link re "Elder Orphans". It is nice to have your support and input regarding this subject.
Jane is a good and kind and ethical person and has a business called "The Other Daughter" that does a lot of helpful things for older people who need an extra bit of help.

Tags
senior, orphans, group, support

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.