Senior orphans

Closed Thread
Old 07-04-2018, 12:13 PM
Question Senior orphans

Is there a support group in TV for senior orphans?

Last edited by VILLAGERBB; 07-04-2018 at 12:22 PM.
Old 07-04-2018, 03:26 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Wouldn’t that apply to at least 90% of TV residents?

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 07-04-2018, 05:38 PM
Veteran member
Location: MI, LA, IN, IL, MI (2), MA, NC, CA (2)A, FL, VA, RI, NH, OR (2), FL (2), WI (2), MN

Senior orphans? I have never heard this term before as most senior citizens when they become seniors no longer have living parents. Maybe you are thinking of the one in Polk County? Home - Senior Orphans of Polk County Florida which was set up for seniors who have no familial support and are indigent.
Old 07-04-2018, 09:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VILLAGERBB View Post
Is there a support group in TV for senior orphans?
Define please so we can respond...

Sent from my SM-N920R4 using Tapatalk
Old 07-05-2018, 02:23 PM

AARP refers to seniors living alone without family or friend support as "Elder Orphans".
I am not looking for a caregiver but rather would like to join a group of folks who might be interested in networking with each other.

Last edited by VILLAGERBB; 07-06-2018 at 02:07 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 08:18 AM
Gold member

I'm 68 and my parents are deceased--I consider myself a senior orphan ( still miss them)
Old 07-07-2018, 09:06 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts

Quote:
AARP refers to seniors living alone without family or friend support as "Elder Orphans".
I am not looking for a caregiver but rather would like to join a group of folks who might be interested in networking with each other.
I do know what you are looking for and the best place to meet Senior Orphans is at Sumter Landing on Thanksgiving Day and Christmas Day. We always go down for a coffee in the morning and Starbucks is packed with "orphans" looking for someone to talk with for a short while before they head home or go out for dinner.

You could try to form a group yourself, but is there a room big enough!

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-07-2018, 02:14 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Smile Sad Responses

It is really sad when someone with a serious question and actual need must tolerate the foolishness and lack of caring as demonstrated in some of the responses. I doubt that most do not know the writer is referring to being an Orphan and potentially raised in a foster home or of parents that cared enough to adopt her/him as their own. I know of a few who have been "adopted" and the questions it leaves in the child as they grow. It would be a great support group for the adults who grew up never knowing their real parents. I really hope some will put away the temptation to play comedian or be cute and have the depth to understand the writers quest and help him or her.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:22 PM

Thank you Madelaine Amee. It will be so nice to spend time with other orphans during the holiday season; However, I am hoping we (orphans) can meet regularly throughout the year.

Last edited by VILLAGERBB; 07-10-2018 at 12:13 PM.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:31 PM

PennBF...your post was very thoughtful but I am not an orphan per se. I had a wonderful family but it was very small and unfortunately due to deaths and no close family connections I consider myself a senior orphan. Am hoping to establish relationships with others who find themselves alone in TV and would like to create a network of support and friendship.
Old 07-07-2018, 02:46 PM
Sage

I don't know of a group per se....but if you have a belief system you may find others at a church. As we age-out, maybe like you have small families there most likely will be folks who would love companionship or friendships. I know of folks who were married (or not) and never had children or their kids are estranged or some other issue. There are many forms to which you speak of. I do hope you find a group such as you're looking for!!
Old 07-07-2018, 03:16 PM
Sage

Quote:
Thank you Madelaine Amee. It will be so nice to spend time with other orphans during the holiday season. Please stay in touch.
Go and sit outside Starbucks with a coffee whenever you are in need of company and I could "almost" guarantee you will finally end up meeting people looking for what you are.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 07-07-2018, 03:19 PM
Sage

Quote:
PennBF...your post was very thoughtful but I am not an orphan per se. I had a wonderful family but it was very small and unfortunately due to deaths and no close family connections I consider myself a senior orphan. Am hoping to establish relationships with others who find themselves alone in TV and would like to create a network of support and friendship.
You might also consider getting in touch with Chachacha who posts here on this board. I believe she still runs the group and I think it is probably what you need. I know they have holiday parties and pot luck holiday dinners. You will find what you need, but it does take time.

Old 07-10-2018, 12:20 PM

I use the term "senior orphan" but the true expression is "elder orphan". It generally refers to those who have no one to assist with legal, financial or health situations if an "orphan" should become incapacitated. I believe most people prepare in advance for assisted living and such but for those of us without a family or close friend, should an unexpected illness or accident occur, will probably end up having our lives managed by total strangers.
Old 07-10-2018, 12:22 PM
Smile Thank you

Thank you Madelaine Amee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madelaine Amee View Post
You might also consider getting in touch with Chachacha who posts here on this board. I believe she still runs the group and I think it is probably what you need. I know they have holiday parties and pot luck holiday dinners. You will find what you need, but it does take time.
Closed Thread

Tags
senior, orphans, group, support

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.