Any support group for losing an adult child?

Closed Thread
Old 10-11-2008, 02:59 PM
Default Any support group for losing an adult child?

I am thinking of moving to TV and am wondering if there is a support group for those who have lost their adult children. On Aug. 5th my beloved son and nephew were killed together in a work related accident -- I am at a complete loss of how to go on and yet I know I have to for the rest of my family. Are there any support groups for this situation??
Old 10-11-2008, 03:36 PM
Platinum member

angel222:

Last Thursday's Daily Sun's issue of the "Recreation News" included:

1) The Compassionate Friends, "offering friendship and understanding to families grieving the death of a child of any age. . ." Tina Nelson 352-750-2045 or Linda Minor 352-687-4005. Third Tuesday, 7:00pm.

2) Grief Support Group. Trinity Lutheran Church 352-307-4500 or toll-free 877-832-2187. Every Thursday 10:00am.

3) Grief Share support group. Village View Church 352-307-7303 or Kay Hasson 352-259-8900. Wednesdays at 6:15pm.

I hope these help you!

SWR

Last edited by swrinfla; 10-11-2008 at 03:37 PM. Reason: Add info
Old 10-11-2008, 11:14 PM
Default The Compassionate Friends

Angel222:
While I'm just a Villages Wannabe, I do want to let you know that I have personal experience with The Compassionate Friends. In 2003 we lost our 21 year old daughter. She had just begun her senior year at college and was in an accident. My next door neighbor, who had also lost her adult son about 2 years prior, invited me to go with her to a meeting of The Compassionate Friends. I do not know how I could have gotten through that time without them. Everyone there had lost a child and was very understanding. The meetings started off with an address by the president, dealing with a different topic each meeting (we met once a month). Then we would break into smaller groups, with new members seated together for extra TLC and guidance. Each small group was led by a volunteer leader, and you could speak if you wish, or just listen. I chose to just listen because everytime I tried to talk about my daughter, I just broke down. It's devastating, and no one understands what a parent goes through unless you've been there. It's unlike any other kind of grief. The most important thing I learned was that everyone grieves differently, and what you are feeling is perfectly ok. And there were no judgments made at the meetings. Everyone's experience and feelings were respected. I learned so much from them; mostly, that what you are feeling is perfectly normal, and you will get through this. It's a difficult journey, but you really need to share with someone who understands. Perhaps you can look in your community newspaper for a local group. Or feel free to check their national web site for informatioin on local meetings and other help: http://www.compassionatefriends.org/
My heart is with you, Angel222. God bless.
Old 10-13-2008, 08:41 PM

thanks so much for your help....this is such a terrible time and I will be looking into your suggestions....God Bless
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.