The End of Power

Closed Thread
Old 01-07-2015, 07:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default The End of Power

Our family just left and our granddaughter was telling us about Mark Zuckerberg starting a "book club", where he will suggest a book to read and the first one is The End of Power.

She made it sound so interesting that I can't wait to read it. Anybody read it?
Old 01-07-2015, 09:34 AM
Sage
Default Hijack!!!

No, but Mark Z also stated he didn't want his new forum to have comments made about the book, unless someone, has read it.

Similar to comments made on TOTV, by some people who have never bothered to real all of the posts in a thread and or not having any sense of, "where someone is coming from".

Just my observations over a long period of time.

Back to the original thread.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 01-07-2015, 11:00 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
No, but Mark Z also stated he didn't want his new forum to have comments made about the book, unless someone, has read it.

Similar to comments made on TOTV, by some people who have never bothered to real all of the posts in a thread and or not having any sense of, "where someone is coming from".

Just my observations over a long period of time.

Back to the original thread.

It saddens me that we lose many nice people because they are put off by the few nasty people that attack other people's posts, often time with out reading or understanding the post. What ever happened to "if you can't say anything nice, don't say anything at all." To me it seems that some people use this informational forum to gripe and, IMHO that was not the reason it was set up.
There are so many nice people on this forum that the friendships are a great addition to the information.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 01-07-2015, 11:07 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

I found this editorial review. Granddaughter said she had just begun to read it but felt that it was going to be very interesting.

Editorial Reviews

From [ame="http://www.amazon.com/gp/feature.html/?docId=1000027801"]Booklist[/ame]

Naím, scholar and columnist, explains that “power is what we exercise over others that leads them to behave in ways they would not otherwise have behaved.” He builds his case for the decay of power claiming that power no longer buys as much; it is easier to get, harder to use, and easier to lose. Presidents, executives in financial services and oil companies, international religious leaders, and politicians continue to wield great power, but less so than their predecessors; today’s leaders have more challenges, competitors, and constraints in the form of citizen activism, global markets, and the ever-present media. The decay of power has made space globally for new ventures, companies, voices, and more opportunities, but it also holds great potential for instability. Naím concludes that now we are more vulnerable to bad ideas and bad leaders, and strongly recommends a conversation not on the obsession with “who/what is Number One” but “what is going on inside those nations, political movements, corporations, and religions.” A timely and timeless book. --Mary Whaley

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.