Was anyone able to read The Darkest Evening of the year

Closed Thread
Old 01-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Default Was anyone able to read The Darkest Evening of the year

Dean Koontz's novel was just to hard for me to continue with. It seems that dogs play a big part of the book, but it was just too hard for me. Talked about puppy mills and the horrible conditions the dogs endure, and some other instances of mistreatment and I HAD TO THROW IT DOWN. There were also people getting killed but the dogs got to me. Can anyone who finished it say they finally enjoyed it. I just have to many other books I'm in a hurry to explore. Herb
Old 01-28-2009, 12:04 PM

Hi Herb;

I am a HUGE Dean Koontz fan and I did finish "The Darkest Evening of the Year". I think perhaps this book was a bit cathartic for Dean as it followed close on the death of his beloved Trixie. It did sell in large numbers and received excellent reviews. However, some people can like an author's work but one book comes along that leaves them at a loss. This may be the case with you. You've done the right thing though in setting this work aside. If it doesn't sing to you there are a lot of good reads available and frequently not enough time. Go on to something else and share your feelings with us. I'm always looking for another good book.
Old 06-24-2009, 12:12 PM
Thumbs down

Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb View Post
Dean Koontz's novel was just to hard for me to continue with. It seems that dogs play a big part of the book, but it was just too hard for me. Talked about puppy mills and the horrible conditions the dogs endure, and some other instances of mistreatment and I HAD TO THROW IT DOWN. There were also people getting killed but the dogs got to me. Can anyone who finished it say they finally enjoyed it. I just have to many other books I'm in a hurry to explore. Herb
Couldn't agree MORE!!! I finished the book but cannot recommend it. Just too weird & pointlessly rambling. I only hung in there for the dog anyway. My husband attempted to read it too but gave up quickly. So you're not alone, Herb! Anyway, as you said, too many books, too little time. . .
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.