Studs Terkel, one of my favorite writers...

Closed Thread
Old 10-31-2008, 07:31 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Studs Terkel, one of my favorite writers...

Studs Terkel died today at the age of 96. His oral histories are among my favorite books.

Working: People Talk About What They Do All Day and How They Feel About What They Do

Hard Times: An Oral History of The Great Depression

American Dreams, Lost and Found

The Good War: An Oral History Of World War II (This one is my favorite and I think it won the Pulitzer.)

...and there are others.

Terkel interviewed everyday people. He cared about their stories. The stories that built America. When I read these oral histories I become totally immersed.

Many of you, I am sure, know about Studs Terkel's books, and his passing may make you a little sad, too.

If you do not know about these oral histories and you like stories told by ordinary people about their lives and times, you may want to look up Studs Terkel.

I am linking you here to NPR's coverage of Studs Terkel today.

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=94573985

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 10-31-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 11-02-2008, 04:12 PM
Gold member

Boomer, I've heard about Studs Terkel but with so many books to read and so much to do, I never read any of his works. Thanks to you mentioning his name here yesterday and a piece on CBS Sunday Morning Show this morning featuring an earlier interview with Studs, I now know something about him and I definitely want to know more. I've printed off your suggestions and they're on my list of books to read/listen to very soon. I so appreciate the heads up you send out to all of us from time to time!
Old 11-02-2008, 08:38 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Peachie,

Thanks.

And I know exactly what you mean about that "so many books, so little time" thing.

I admire Studs Terkel's work so much. I am a big fan of oral histories. I think Studs got me officially started on them long ago.

So many of us know that oral histories are something that can become a part of family gatherings. Something as simple around a dinner table as, "Hey, Grandpa, how did you meet Grandma? Where did you go on your first date? How much money did you spend? What kind of car did you have? What do you think was different about dating then and dating now?" can turn into wonderful family stories and the more generations involved, the better. If major events in history are incorporated into those stories -- even better. We probably don't grab enough of the chances to collect those stories.

(insert shameless confession here) I might never tell my grandchildren this, but I can remember clearly my white hot terror during the Cuban Missile Crisis. I was in high school at the time. And I was so afraid, so scared, so really, truly, absolutely terrified that I was going to die! Yes, afraid I was going to die! So very afraid I was going to DIE -- WHILE STILL AS PURE AS THE DRIVEN SNOW!!!! (And that is an absolutely true story. Not a story worthy of a Studs Terkel book, but a true story, just the same, ...all so very long ago.)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 11-02-2008 at 09:56 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.