Old 08-23-2008, 03:11 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default Re: Audiobooks - better than the real thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
Hey Munc,

I had not heard of these mysteries. And so I Amazoned the author just now. Sounds good. Sounds like fun. The next time Borders sends me one of those online coupons they send me every 15 minutes or so, I will run right over there and get a couple of these.

I do so love anything set in the South.

Thanks.

Miss Boomerbelle

Have I told you Miss Boomerbelle, that I think you are a hoot and a half. Your name was mentioned several times on the back porch this morning as my daughters and I were having coffee. Gretchen asked when she could meet you. HUMPH. sigh. :dontknow: Oh well. (These are guilt inflicting expressions that have worked well on my kids)

[/quote]
Old 08-25-2008, 01:09 AM
Platinum member

Muncle, I wrote down the names of the authors. I hadn't heard of them, either. I do love a good mystery!

Dorothy Sayers' Lord Peter Wimsey series is on cassette tape. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lord_Peter_Wimsey

I spent many hours in the car listening to Lord Peter's stories and his man Bunter's shenanigans. You really need to listen to them in order. He starts as a bachelor, then about 4 books later he marries, then the kids come along, but he always solves the mysteries!
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 09-12-2008, 10:28 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
. . .there is a danger, of course. listen to an ann george southern sisters mystery and you might find yourself laughing too hard to see the traffic.
I had not heard of the "Southern Sisters Mysteries" by Anne George before I read this recommendation here from Munc a couple of weeks ago. About a week after that, I asked a friend who is a great fan of light mysteries if she knew about these. She walked immediately to her bookshelves, retrieved one of them, and put it in my hands. This one is called Murder on a Girls' Night Out.

I have another book going right now, American Wife, and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is waiting for me after that. But I could not resist reading the first few chapters of this one from the "Southern Sisters."

The main characters are two sisters. One is a fairly serious retired teacher.That one is Patricia Anne. Her sister Mary Alice comes on like a force of nature. She has outlived a few husbands and she can be pretty impulsive and quite hilarious.

And things happen in the lives of the sisters. Stories to tell. Mysteries to solve. And all with a wonderful southern accent. You can hear that accent even if you are not listening to the book on audio. These books are light, funny stuff.

I just have to throw the other titles in the series in here, too: Murder on a Bad Hair Day; Murder Runs in the Family; Murder Makes Waves; Murder Gets a Life; Murder Shoots the Bull; Murder Carries a Torch; and Murder Boogies with Elvis.

And something else that I really liked finding out about these books is that one of the sisters is 60 and the other one is 65. These ladies are a lot of fun.

So if you are feeling like maybe a light touch is in order, and if you like your humor southern style, the "Southern Sisters Mysteries" might just work for you.

So thanks for the recommendation, Munc. I took your advice.

Boomer

Old 09-13-2008, 11:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
I had not heard of the "Southern Sisters Mysteries" by Anne George before I read this recommendation here from Munc a couple of weeks ago. About a week after that, I asked a friend who is a great fan of light mysteries if she knew about these. She walked immediately to her bookshelves, retrieved one of them, and put it in my hands. This one is called Murder on a Girls' Night Out.

I have another book going right now, American Wife, and The Story of Edgar Sawtelle is waiting for me after that. But I could not resist reading the first few chapters of this one from the "Southern Sisters."

The main characters are two sisters. One is a fairly serious retired teacher.That one is Patricia Anne. Her sister Mary Alice comes on like a force of nature. She has outlived a few husbands and she can be pretty impulsive and quite hilarious.

And things happen in the lives of the sisters. Stories to tell. Mysteries to solve. And all with a wonderful southern accent. You can hear that accent even if you are not listening to the book on audio. These books are light, funny stuff.

I just have to throw the other titles in the series in here, too: Murder on a Bad Hair Day; Murder Runs in the Family; Murder Makes Waves; Murder Gets a Life; Murder Shoots the Bull; Murder Carries a Torch; and Murder Boogies with Elvis.

And something else that I really liked finding out about these books is that one of the sisters is 60 and the other one is 65. These ladies are a lot of fun.

So if you are feeling like maybe a light touch is in order, and if you like your humor southern style, the "Southern Sisters Mysteries" might just work for you.

So thanks for the recommendation, Munc. I took your advice.

Boomer

You know Boom? I have enough problems of my own with this buying books issue. Now you are aiding and abetting. Keep this up and we are going to have to sell that house on Havana Trail and we will be stuck here in Cincinnati with you. (I have bought two books in the last 24 hours that you recommended, HARDBOUND too! Alright they were on ebay)

You really are a librarian, aren't ya. Huh? Huh?

Your worked for a publisher. Hmmm The only publisher I know in Cincinnati is/was...Marian?? something. Help me here Boom.

Old 09-13-2008, 02:43 PM
Gold member

I am off topic so :cop: please be kind and do not :edit: me.

There is a series of mysteries that take place in Venice by Donna Leone. The ending of her books are not always what you would expect. She takes into consideration what will happen to people if they testify and this at times has affected the outcome of the mysteries.

HB
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.