Barnes and Nobles

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2011, 10:32 PM
Gold member

Love the ability of the internet and laptop to surf the web, reading and learning at incredible speed. But there is something about the peace and quiet of a library or B&N that just draws one in for the experience. It is like being home and is so very relaxing. Not to mention the iced coffee and pastries that are offered. I can get lost in the place and have to be dragged out every time we visit!
Old 09-03-2011, 10:14 PM
Veteran member

Barnes and Noble is one of my favorite places in TV. I enjoy relaxing, the coffee and being able to browse through the books. Sometimes I will buy a book, especially ones that are intended to teach such as computer guides. Most of the time, however, if I like a book I'll order it on Kindle.

Barnes and Noble is fighting a rear guard action with the Nook. The Nook is profitable and the stores are still losing money. It remains to be seen if B&N can survive.
Old 09-04-2011, 07:35 AM

just went to B&N to find a new best seller. I couldn't find it despite waiting for directions from clerk at desk. Had to wait again for her attention to find that they were out of it. I was a little unhappy with the lack of people on the floor that could have been of help and saved me much time waiting for service. I will use Amazon from now on. Much easier and less costly.
Old 09-04-2011, 11:05 AM
Veteran member

Once a month I buy a book for a book club, and it is rare for B&N to have the book in stock. I'm not sure I've ever bought a book in there, the selection just doesn't seem to fit my reading tastes or needs. That was one of the reasons I went to the Nook - I can order online and have it delivered within seconds, at a fairly reasonable cost, or possibly obtain the ebook from an online library.
Old 09-04-2011, 02:21 PM

Barnes and Nobles will go the way ot Borders . . . its just a matter of time as brick and mortar bookstores are a thing of the past . . . the question will be, "Who goes into that building?"
Old 09-04-2011, 02:42 PM

I'm afraid B & N are at fault by making their online prices much less than in the physical store.

Wanted to send our granddaughter a book...checked it out online then went into the store to purchase. Ended up going home and ordering it online. Even with paying for shipping it was still less than just the cost of the book alone in the store.

I love bookstores though and would be very sad if they are not able to make it.
Old 09-04-2011, 08:15 PM
Location: village Gilchrist, Lake Northern MI, formerly Royal Oak MI, Northville MI

We travel a lot and with the weight restrictions on airplanes the Nook e-reader was great for me as I always take a number of books. My hubby said- more shoes or more books-pick one so now I get to take my shoe choices and the Nook slips into my purse. Plus it's great in the sun
Old 09-05-2011, 05:38 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishkatie View Post
We travel a lot and with the weight restrictions on airplanes the Nook e-reader was great for me as I always take a number of books. My hubby said- more shoes or more books-pick one so now I get to take my shoe choices and the Nook slips into my purse. Plus it's great in the sun
Isn't it great? We're getting ready for another trip, and I don't have to worry about finding space for 4-5 books, just take my Nook. Love it!
Old 09-05-2011, 08:05 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman View Post
I did not see anything about recharging the book so I could keep reading it after the battery ran out.

My book is always ready to read even after a long session of reading.
My Kindle runs for at least a month.You recharge it by plugging it into the AC adapter cord that came with it.
Old 09-07-2011, 12:50 PM

i love my Nook...use the Philadelphia Free Library for it, and B&N. When you go to B&N, you can sit there and read on your Nook, and they have Free Fridays, too.

Still love the library, though...but must say my Nook is something I use every day...love it.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.