Borders Files for Bankruptcy

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors

» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Old 02-16-2011, 08:13 PM
Veteran member
Default Borders Files for Bankruptcy

Borders Books has filed for bankruptcy and seeks to remain in business in a reduced size after reorganization - they are closing about 200 of their stores. Their ability to emerge from bankruptcy is questionable since they have not been making payments to a large number of their landlords and publishers.

The immediate beneficiary of this is Barnes & Noble who will have less competition in retail bookstores. The long term beneficiaries will be the e-book sellers including Amazon, Apple and Barnes & Noble. It remains to be seen how many e-book publishers will prosper. The next shakeout will be interesting.
Old 02-17-2011, 06:20 AM
Veteran member

Sadly, our local Borders here in England, closed about 15 months ago. Very sad, it was such a nice place to meet, browse, drink coffee and buy books. We are lucky though to have quite a few independant book stores all within a 15 to 20 minute drive from my home. I think it helps living in a university town
Old 02-17-2011, 06:30 AM

Read in our local paper this morning that our Borders here in West Lafayette, IN is closing within a month. Kind of expected it...but am really sad! I went there at least 3 or 4 times a month to buy books to send to grandkids and also for myself. It was always a great place to buy gift cards, calendars and reading related gifts for family and friends, too. Guess it is another victim of the electronic age. My youngest daughter got a Nook from her husband for Valentine's Day and she already loves it. I, like many others my age, prefer to hear the turn of a paper page....altho I swore I would never have a DVD player, cell phone, laptop or a van with automatic doors...and certainly am enjoying all of them now. What's next??!!!
There is a Barnes and Noble bookstore in Lafayette very close to our mall...guess they will get more business now but who knows for how long.
Sad day!
Old 02-17-2011, 07:16 AM
Platinum member

What is known is Borders will honor gift cards at the remaining stores. I have avoided purchasing a Kindle/Nook because I didn't want to be part of the reason for the demise of book stores, but I fear within five years, there will be no more book stores nor newspapers.
As for all the good the electronic age has given us, there are a lot of negatives. So sad.
Old 02-18-2011, 08:57 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hannon View Post
What is known is Borders will honor gift cards at the remaining stores. I have avoided purchasing a Kindle/Nook because I didn't want to be part of the reason for the demise of book stores, but I fear within five years, there will be no more book stores nor newspapers.
As for all the good the electronic age has given us, there are a lot of negatives. So sad.
The "electronic age" didn't cause the demise of local bookstores. That was the result of the big book super-stores pricing them out of business.
What goes around, comes around.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 02-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Platinum member

Like the movie "You got mail"
Old 02-21-2011, 05:02 PM

anytime a bookstore close, a literary angel cries...I liked Borders.
Hope B&N will stay around, just bought a refurbished Nook from them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.