Carl Hiaasen comes to Syracuse, NY

Closed Thread
Old 11-13-2008, 12:44 PM
Veteran member
Default Carl Hiaasen comes to Syracuse, NY

He was the latest speaker at our author series. Had a packed house in stitches with his deadpan stories of Florida pulled from his favorite headlines. I've only read Skinny Dip but am motivated to read more.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 11-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Taltarzac
Default Two movies came from his work. These are Striptease and Hoot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by another Linda View Post
He was the latest speaker at our author series. Had a packed house in stitches with his deadpan stories of Florida pulled from his favorite headlines. I've only read Skinny Dip but am motivated to read more.

I have read a few more of his books. Sometimes I wonder how he gets away with his stories about Florida while he also lives here. That's kind of like some TOTVers and their stories about TV while they live in TV except for the most part TOTVers are semi-anonymous.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carl_Hiaasen

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 11-13-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 03:58 PM
Veteran member

His story about the dangers of swimming with dolphins had me wiping the tears away -- and it made me change my mind about doing it!

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 11-13-2008, 04:19 PM
Taltarzac
Default I doubt if this happens very often. See link for story about why not to swim with...

Quote:
His story about the dangers of swimming with dolphins had me wiping the tears away -- and it made me change my mind about doing it!
http://www.parlezmoipress.com/mermai...hin-tales.html
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Oh Linda,

I feel I must warn you that I am now insanely jealous of you.

iluvthatmaniluvthatmaniluvthatman

And now, you have actually seen him in person. I have not.

As a tribute to one of my main men, Carl H., I must link here a thread from the book forum, last summer.

I don't know if it is against some board protocol or something to link an entire thread started by one's self, but I just have to do it. ...for Carl, you know.

iluvthatmaniluvthatmaniluvthatman.........

Hiaasen on golf & TV

Boomer
Platinum member

Which books would you most recommend related to Florida?
Old 11-13-2008, 04:37 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Oh Linda,

I feel I must warn you that I am now insanely jealous of you.

iluvthatmaniluvthatmaniluvthatman

And now, you have actually seen him in person. I have not.

As a tribute to one of my main men, Carl H., I must link here a thread from the book forum, last summer.

I don't know if it is against some board protocol or something to link an entire thread started by one's self, but I just have to do it. ...for Carl, you know.

iluvthatmaniluvthatmaniluvthatman.........

Hiaasen on golf & TV

Boomer
Way ahead of you Boomer! Why do you think I read Skinny Dip? And JoJo, I think all his books relate to Florida. Don't they Boomer? Oh, and did I mention how cute he is?

(Aside: It feels good not to stray into Political.)

Old 11-13-2008, 04:43 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
Yep, that was the story. Except he was hysterical telling it. Deadpan the whole time.

Old 11-13-2008, 05:50 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Death by dolphin love? Okay, I gotta break down and read his books -- as soon as I get moved in, get through the stacks of books I have here to read and who knows what else, but he is definitely on my list of have to dos. Anyone that demented has to be good!

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-13-2008, 11:34 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Way ahead of you Boomer! Why do you think I read Skinny Dip? And JoJo, I think all his books relate to Florida. Don't they Boomer? Oh, and did I mention how cute he is?

(Aside: It feels good not to stray into Political.)
Linda, you just gotta keep rubbin' it in, right?

And I had been feeling all sorry for you about how you got smacked around in political. (Been there. I was the smackee, too, not the smacker. I could have smacked back, but it just was not worth it. More fun to talk about other stuff.)

And yes, all of his books are set in Florida, around Miami I think.

And I am still insanely jealous of you.

Boomer
Old 11-14-2008, 01:42 AM
Gold member
Talking

Love Carl Haissen...his character Skink is my favorite......a former governor turned recluse in the everglades.....he turns up in a couple of his books. Definately fun reads.
Old 11-14-2008, 04:38 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

It is 4:36 in the morning as I read this and I am ready to jump into the red and white ostentatious used golf cart that is ours and drive up to Lake Sumter landing and wait for Barnes and Noble to open and spend some of whats left of our retirement fund on a book written by this man.

This may be another section that I avoid after political.

Boomer? YOU were the smacker????
Old 11-14-2008, 09:04 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It is 4:36 in the morning as I read this and I am ready to jump into the red and white ostentatious used golf cart that is ours and drive up to Lake Sumter landing and wait for Barnes and Noble to open and spend some of whats left of our retirement fund on a book written by this man.

This may be another section that I avoid after political.

Boomer? YOU were the smacker????
No, no, no, GG. Go back and read that post in this thread again. I was the "smackee." It was not my recent political thing from the other day. That one was just for fun and did not cause a donnybrook -- or knock-down-drag-out. That one was just about how your space might reveal your political leanings. But the topic seemed to belong in political and so I tiptoed in. That one is nice.

But one time, several weeks ago, I got smacked around in political. It was not a lively discussion. That I can do. It was a smackeroonie. I had attempted to inject a wee bit of humor, you see. And I got called two names. One was "elitist" and one was "sexist." Me? There were some serious people in there in those days. But never underestimate my ability to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. I just walked away. -- actually I ran.

Hey, I think I am off topic here.

Oh well, back to Carl H. Maybe see if there is a paperback of "Stormy Weather." That one is my favorite and Skink is in it. It is about the sleaze that slither out in the aftermath of a hurricane.

The bad guys always get it though with Carl in charge. But the humor is slightly dark sometimes. I always describe CH's books as "Florida Meets Fargo."

And GG, why don't you just go get yourself a library card. That is a nice little library up there on the north side of the south side. GG, if you do not want to spend all your money at B&N, get thee to the library.

Boomer
Old 11-14-2008, 09:25 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,506 Times in 1,906 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
No, no, no, GG. Go back and read that post in this thread again. I was the "smackee." It was not my recent political thing from the other day. That one was just for fun and did not cause a donnybrook -- or knock-down-drag-out. That one was just about how your space might reveal your political leanings. But the topic seemed to belong in political and so I tiptoed in. That one is nice.

But one time, several weeks ago, I got smacked around in political. It was not a lively discussion. That I can do. It was a smackeroonie. I had attempted to inject a wee bit of humor, you see. And I got called two names. One was "elitist" and one was "sexist." Me? There were some serious people in there in those days. But never underestimate my ability to know when to hold 'em and know when to fold 'em. I just walked away. -- actually I ran.

Hey, I think I am off topic here.

Oh well, back to Carl H. Maybe see if there is a paperback of "Stormy Weather." That one is my favorite and Skink is in it. It is about the sleaze that slither out in the aftermath of a hurricane.

The bad guys always get it though with Carl in charge. But the humor is slightly dark sometimes. I always describe CH's books as "Florida Meets Fargo."

And GG, why don't you just go get yourself a library card. That is a nice little library up there on the north side of the south side. GG, if you do not want to spend all your money at B&N, get thee to the library.

Boomer

Boomer.

True confessions.

I was a library aide almost from the time I could read. I can still hear MISS FINCH shushing people and pulling books out to even them on the front of the shelves like she was annoyed people read them. I don't like most Librarians...sorry, they just all seem to want me to return books on time, and although I am almost compulsively responsible in other areas of my life, I am nearly passive-aggressive about returning books to the library.
Old 11-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
Boomer.

True confessions.

I was a library aide almost from the time I could read. I can still hear MISS FINCH shushing people and pulling books out to even them on the front of the shelves like she was annoyed people read them. I don't like most Librarians...sorry, they just all seem to want me to return books on time, and although I am almost compulsively responsible in other areas of my life, I am nearly passive-aggressive about returning books to the library.
GG,

Librarians are not that way much anymore. And besides, when you pay your fine that actually helps out the library. Libraries are seeing funding cut and it will get worse I am sure. The librarians at the library in TV were really nice when I was there. And your local library back home has nice librarians, too, I bet. Once in awhile, you may run across a stereotype still. But not so often as you might suspect.

So GG, c'mon, take a walk on the wild side. Visit the library. Give them another chance.

And about those fines -- sometimes people get really with the librarian about having to pay fines. I know you would never do that. You would just pay it and smile.

In fact, when I go to my local library, I always say, "I know I have a fine. How much is it?"

But there is one librarian there who gets a look of absolute terror in her eyes and she says, "It's really OK. You do not have to pay it now if you do not want to." (That tells me that this librarian is used to taking abuse from the public.)

But anyway, I always say to the nervous librarian, "Of course, I am paying my fine."

And then she looks at me in disbelief and finally relaxes.

You see, GG, believe it or not, public librarians sometimes have to put up with being screamed at by the patrons over fines. The times -- they have changed. People are mean to librarians sometimes. There are those who think public librarians are fair game.

So GG, I know that you are a nice lady and would never be mean to a librarian. So maybe, give the library another try. Fines happen. But now you can renew online or by phone with most libraries. But even if you did end up with a fine, you would never be nasty about it. You would smile and pay, just like I do. Go ahead, GG, make some librarian's day.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 11-14-2008 at 10:16 AM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.