Dave Barry "Best State Ever" Includes The Villages

Closed Thread
Old 12-05-2016, 10:10 AM
Sage
Default Dave Barry "Best State Ever" Includes The Villages

Dave Barry, humorist, and columnist for Miami Herald has a new book out titled "Best State Ever" -- A Florida Man Defends His Homeland.

It's a funny read for all of us northern transplants and even includes a full chapter on his visit to The Villages last Christmas season. He describes his experience at all 3 town squares and the bands he saw...Paul Vesco, Scooter, and Caribbean Chillers and even gives high marks to Pat Atkinson at The Waterfront (that's for you KathieI). It was a humorous and reasonably accurate take on TV.

He also recounts his visits to Key West, Cassadega, Tarpon Springs, Gatorland, and a few other Florida points of interest.

Sumter Library has several copies of the book.

Fun reading.
Old 12-05-2016, 10:28 AM

Used to love Dave Barry's column. The description of his experience with his colonoscopy is the funniest thing I have ever read. If you haven't read it, google it. Hysterical!
Old 12-05-2016, 10:31 AM
Veteran member
Default Dave Barry

Sadly for him, he couldn't find sex of any of the squares. All in all, his take on The Villages was one of the more objective ones.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:22 AM
Veteran member

I read the book, expecting lots of Barry's exaggerations and hyperbole (which are usually pretty darned funny) but found this one to be actually a little more restrained. He showed some genuine affection for many of the oddball places in Florida he visited, including The Villages. That section was amusing but also kind of sweet.
Old 12-06-2016, 08:59 AM
Gold member

OM gosh. Just read the Colonoscopy account by Dave Barry. I'm still giggling and wiping away tears of laughter
Dave Barry: A journey into my colon -- and yours | Miami Herald
Old 12-18-2016, 09:25 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Thanks, '07.

I am putting this on my Kindle for the ride down I-75 soon. It should keep me and my ever-so-helpful driving tips out of Mr. Boomer's hair.

On one drive, we listened to Dave Barry's Insane City.

I don't know if Dave Barry can ever replace Carl Hiaasen for me though. My Odes to Carl are probably buried somewhere in the old TOTV archives. Stormy Weather and Skin Tight are still my favorite Hiaasen.

I actually met Carl. I was only a blur at a book signing but I did ask him when he was coming to TV..........

Anyway, thank you, and Mr. Boomer thanks you, too.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 12-18-2016 at 09:31 AM.
Old 12-18-2016, 07:26 PM
Veteran member

Carl Hiaasen is a great author. Like Barry, he's from the Miami area and his writings are a hoot. I think of Barry as more into wacky observations and maybe short stories where Hiaasen is move of a novelist. His books are funny, his characters are great, he obviously loves what Florida once was and is angry as to what in many ways it has become. I can't wait for whatever next book Hiassen releases, whether it's one of his adult novels (the ones with two-word titles) or young adult novels (the ones with one-word titles).
Old 12-18-2016, 07:46 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thanks, '07.

I am putting this on my Kindle for the ride down I-75 soon. It should keep me and my ever-so-helpful driving tips out of Mr. Boomer's hair.

On one drive, we listened to Dave Barry's Insane City.

I don't know if Dave Barry can ever replace Carl Hiaasen for me though. My Odes to Carl are probably buried somewhere in the old TOTV archives. Stormy Weather and Skin Tight are still my favorite Hiaasen.

I actually met Carl. I was only a blur at a book signing but I did ask him when he was coming to TV..........

Anyway, thank you, and Mr. Boomer thanks you, too.

Boomer

Boomer...you're welcome. Should make for fun reading on I-75. And, yes, way back when, you gave a hearty recommendation for Carl H books...I have since read at least 5 or 6 of them. He is a "hoot". BTW, very Belated birthday greetings to you [emoji937]

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Old 12-20-2016, 03:05 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerryLBell View Post
Carl Hiaasen is a great author. Like Barry, he's from the Miami area and his writings are a hoot. I think of Barry as more into wacky observations and maybe short stories where Hiaasen is move of a novelist. His books are funny, his characters are great, he obviously loves what Florida once was and is angry as to what in many ways it has become. I can't wait for whatever next book Hiassen releases, whether it's one of his adult novels (the ones with two-word titles) or young adult novels (the ones with one-word titles).
Jerry, I had not noticed the two-word title/one-word title pattern with Hiaasen. Now, I will.

Sometimes I completely miss the obvious, like when for many years I never saw the arrow in the Fed Ex logo.

Speaking of Carl's characters, recurring Skink is my favorite.

And, '07, thanks, again.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:35 AM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
Dave Barry, humorist, and columnist for Miami Herald has a new book out titled "Best State Ever" -- A Florida Man Defends His Homeland.

It's a funny read for all of us northern transplants and even includes a full chapter on his visit to The Villages last Christmas season. He describes his experience at all 3 town squares and the bands he saw...Paul Vesco, Scooter, and Caribbean Chillers and even gives high marks to Pat Atkinson at The Waterfront (that's for you KathieI). It was a humorous and reasonably accurate take on TV.

He also recounts his visits to Key West, Cassadega, Tarpon Springs, Gatorland, and a few other Florida points of interest.

Sumter Library has several copies of the book.

Fun reading.

I finally got around to starting the book. I read the first chapter and then skipped ahead to the chapter on The Villages. I agree with you, V '07 -- fun and a pretty accurate first impression.

I will finish the book later, but just had to skip ahead to see what he had to say about TV.

Last edited by Boomer; 01-26-2017 at 07:48 AM.
Old 01-26-2017, 07:42 AM
Platinum member

I'm on the list at the library to get it. Looking forward to it.

Tags
book, dave, includes, state, villages

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.