eReader Recommendactions Please

Closed Thread
Old 05-01-2019, 09:45 PM
Sage
Default eReader Recommendactions Please

My wife is getting a new eReader for Mother’s Day. What’s the best eReader available for 2019? It appears the Kindle Paperwhite might be hard to beat.

What do you think?
Old 05-02-2019, 04:13 AM

I love my Kindle paperwhite! You can easily read outdoors with it. It has adjustable lighting, font and font size. They will ask if you want "with or without" special offers, take the cheaper option with special offers and save yourself $20. All the special offer amounts to is the title of a new book on the screen when you power up. It does not require pressing any buttons or watching anything. I noticed when I bought mine that there was one that was not back lit (I think it was even cheaper), just be sure you don't get that one. I do not have HD as my cell phone does that.
Old 05-02-2019, 04:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 13,416 Times in 5,107 Posts

I like the Kindle Paperwhite. If you are going to download free library books, the Kindle is much more compatible than trying to download books to the Nook, which is a Barnes and Noble product.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:19 AM

The Nook Glowlight is the Barnes and Noble model that is designed to be read in sunlight. If you want a brick and mortar store to support your purchase, that might be a good option.
Old 05-02-2019, 05:32 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I'm on my third Kindle (a Paperwhite). I had the very first version of Kindle that was bigger but you had to push buttons to do things like turn pages, use the dictionary, turn on and off, etc. I had it for years till I dropped and broke it and thought I would not like the Paperwhite. Now I love it. Especially I like that you can hold your finger on a word and the definition of the word will appear. My first Paperwhite malfunctioned, and Amazon replaced it immediately, next day postage, with all my books preloaded.

Also, I bought a hard cover for it (makes it like a book), and when I open the cover, it tells me to swipe to turn the Kindle on. If you don't spend the $40 for the hard cover with this function, you have to push up on a button to turn it on. I highly recommend the cover, if for no other reason than to protect the screen.

If you do get a cover, I recommend getting a colored one. Mine is red, and my husband's is black. He frequently cannot find his Kindle because it's black and hiding in plain sight. My red one is easy to spot. You might think that's silly, but for us it is an issue. Also, the different colors make them easy to distinguish whose is whose.

As VillageTinker would say, Hope this helps.
Old 05-02-2019, 06:42 AM
Sage
Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,383 Posts

Another vote for Kindle paperwhite.
And different, bright color device and covers for each one in the house...they do hide in plain site!!
Old 05-04-2019, 11:50 AM
Veteran member

Kindle Paperwhite, hands down. I love the covers made by a company called Fintie. Lots of nice designs, inexpensive, and they let you hold the kindle like a book if you want. For travel (i.e. if you are sitting on a plane or in a restaurant) you can fold the cover back and put the Kindle in a stand (also by Fintie) so you don't have to hold it. (I have arthritis in my wrists and fingers so this makes it more comfortable to read for long periods.)

These are the covers: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the stand that I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kathy
Old 05-04-2019, 12:14 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,952 Times in 1,706 Posts

Very happy with the eReader recommendation, I just ordered one for hubby. A few years ago I got him “Crime and Punishment” leather bound with gold leaf, and it is still sitting unopened. He can put whatever he wants to read on this thing.
Old 05-04-2019, 12:56 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
Kindle Paperwhite, hands down. I love the covers made by a company called Fintie. Lots of nice designs, inexpensive, and they let you hold the kindle like a book if you want. For travel (i.e. if you are sitting on a plane or in a restaurant) you can fold the cover back and put the Kindle in a stand (also by Fintie) so you don't have to hold it. (I have arthritis in my wrists and fingers so this makes it more comfortable to read for long periods.)

This is the stand that I have: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

kathy
I like your covers. They seem to do the wake/sleep thing that my more expensive one does. I will give one a try next time (since it appears I have lost my Kindle on our current trip).

I have a smaller stand that works like a charm. Plus it collapses into a thin rectangle that is so easy to pack or throw in a purse to facilitate reading on airplanes. https://www.amazon.com/slp/kindle-st...qwwwf7ubjyb3da
Old 05-04-2019, 01:26 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by kathyspear View Post
...I love the covers made by a company called Fintie...

Just a heads up...it doesn’t appear these covers work with the latest generation Paperwhite.
Old 05-04-2019, 04:18 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,397 Times in 2,255 Posts

Another vote for the Kindle Paperwhite. I have black case for it and it has yet to get away from me.. lol

I also have Kindle Unlimited and certainly get my money's worth out of it..

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-05-2019, 11:01 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,397 Times in 2,255 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
Just a heads up...it doesn’t appear these covers work with the latest generation Paperwhite.
I bought mine with the Kindle branded one.. Just ordered the bundle..
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07HKX97CR...dletwister_mt1

We've Got Plenty Of Youth.. What We Need Is a Fountain Of SMART!
Old 05-05-2019, 11:32 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
You are correct. This is the new version of the cover for the Gen10 Paperwhite:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B075WSCYXP...etail_16?psc=1

k.
Closed Thread

Tags
ereader, appears, paperwhite, kindle, hard

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.