Closed Thread
Old 09-15-2012, 10:04 PM

How exciting!
That will be my next book!
Old 09-16-2012, 11:17 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
I just finished reading Evil in Paradise. While the book reminded me of a movie on Lifetime, I was curious about a couple of things. Did anyone pick up when the book talked about Cathy going 'upstairs' to her bedroom? Other than the townhouse style homes in TV I don't think any of them have an 'upstairs' and I was given the impression that she lived in a premier home. The other thing that bothered me was when the biker guy went to Disneyworld with his sister and her kids, he talked about how the kids were bugging him for cotton candy or snowcones...he finally gave the child some money and he bought a treat from someone dressed in a costume. Now I don't know about you, but I have been to Disney many, many times and never once did I hear about snowcones or cotton candy and I have never been served anything by anyone dressed as a character. This sounds like a carnival or fair. I don't think the writer has ever been to Disney. Other than these silly things, I thought the book was mind candy, and I did enjoy being able to identify the places that were mentioned. Right now I am looking for a really good mystery..any suggestions? I like stuff like Mary Higgens Clark.
When we used to take our sons to Disney, they always wanted Candy Floss, as we Brits call it. Disney sell it in plastic bags, and the girls and boys were in costume, but NOT character costumes.
Now reading Chip Bells 3rd book, Havana Daydreamin' and waiting for number 4 this atumn.
Old 09-16-2012, 12:10 PM
Sage

Thanks for the tip. I just ordered Evil in Paradisepaperback from Amazon (not for Kindle because I like the cover)
Gee, I guess Villagers could make him a best-selling author!
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 09-16-2012, 01:31 PM
Veteran member

Hi jblum,
I do hope you enjoy it, we did
It is 'fluff' but it is harmless fluff
Old 10-25-2012, 10:32 PM
Smile

I would thank all of you for your comments on my novel, Evil in Paradise, both postive and not so positive. I love The Villages and wanted to create a story to hopefully entertain my friends here in our little "paradise". My book has sold well and the reviews have been mostly positive. It makes my wife and I feel good that so many have enjoyed my book, and although the story is spicey, it was always my intention to frame The Villages in a postivie light. Thanks again, and happy reading to you whatever your current read might be! R B Conroy
Old 10-25-2012, 11:10 PM
Gold member

How cool that you live in TV! We will be moving down next year, so I will pick up your book and dream away.....
Old 10-27-2012, 07:20 PM
Default Read your book

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunset44 View Post
I would thank all of you for your comments on my novel, Evil in Paradise, both postive and not so positive. I love The Villages and wanted to create a story to hopefully entertain my friends here in our little "paradise". My book has sold well and the reviews have been mostly positive. It makes my wife and I feel good that so many have enjoyed my book, and although the story is spicey, it was always my intention to frame The Villages in a postivie light. Thanks again, and happy reading to you whatever your current read might be! R B Conroy
My sister and I both read the book, It was great.... Keep writing.
Old 10-27-2012, 10:27 PM
Sage

It's just trash, you know, but entertaining because it's set in The Bubble
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 10-28-2012, 02:47 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Thought it was a great travelogue for TV, but really stunk as a novel.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 10-28-2012, 07:30 AM
Sage
Thanked 3,318 Times in 2,055 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch View Post
Thought it was a great travelogue for TV, but really stunk as a novel.
Have not read it yet, but that certainly sounds like an apt description from the other posts about it on this thread.

J.K. Rowling's new book The Casual Vacancy looks like it is a good novel. I have only read part of it so far as the Lake Library System puts one week limitations on high demand books. That's too little time if you have a lot going on in your life. http://www.guardian.co.uk/books/2012...rowling-review
Old 10-28-2012, 08:35 AM
Sage
Thanked 1,039 Times in 373 Posts
Default British Mysteries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trish Crocker View Post
Right now I am looking for a really good mystery..any suggestions? I like stuff like Mary Higgens Clark.
If you like British mystery writers you might try Ruth Rendell Ruth Rendell | Ask.com Encyclopedia

She is a prolific writer of really good mystery stories. Her books are available in both the TV library on Belvedere and also at the new library on 466A. Her story lines always have a great twist, but none of the violence so prevalent in our mysteries. I like Alex Cross, but you have to have an iron clad stomach for his books.

I lived in Europe for some years and got used to the British way of writing.

Law of Logical Argument: Anything is possible if you don't know what you are talking about!

Since light travels faster than sound, some people appear bright until you hear them speak
Old 10-28-2012, 09:00 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by senior citizen View Post
Yikes..........are you R. B. Conroy?

r. u. b. i. c. o. n.
Good eye Senior Citizen! Um, R.u.b.i.c.o.n. ... are you??
Old 10-28-2012, 09:44 AM
Veteran member
Default Try Again

Assuming Sunset44 is the author, I would say try again with a sequel. If one had stripped away all the proper nouns of The Villages, the story would be weak in my opinion. I forgot the author but there is a mystery writer I found at my friend's place who writes about Florida. He has several on his shelf so I hope to borrow from him when I return. Check out also Boris Akunin, "Winter Queen" which I couldn't put down. Would like you to succeed, so more powers to you. Am sure there are enough TV materials around so you can be our household author someday. Cheers!
Old 10-28-2012, 09:57 AM

I am intrigued enough to buy Evil in Paradise...critics aside, I admire someone who actually puts words on paper and publishes, for better or worse. Two Florida writers I have enjoyed who are currently writing are Randy Wayne White(Pine Island, near Sanibel) and Tom Corcoran, Key West. My all time favorite is, of course, John D.MacDonald.
Old 12-08-2012, 08:03 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.