Favorite authors

Closed Thread
Old 05-07-2012, 10:28 AM
Default Favorite authors

I too enjoy Vince Flynn books and always look forward to new releases. The son of a woman that lives in The Villages attended college with Flynn in Minnesota and is a friend of his.
Another Minnesota author whose books I enoy is John Sanford. I remember him as a reporter for the St. Paul Dispatch & Pioneer Press writing under his given name, John Camp. I have read all of his books most of which have the work Prey in the title and usually involve a seriel killer and a main character, Lucas Davenport. His other books are great as well, the Jason Kidd series and the Virgil Flowers series.
A third author whose new books I look forward to is Lee Child. His Jack Reacher novels are very good entertainment.
Old 05-07-2012, 01:00 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,316 Times in 2,053 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deerfly View Post
I too enjoy Vince Flynn books and always look forward to new releases. The son of a woman that lives in The Villages attended college with Flynn in Minnesota and is a friend of his.
Another Minnesota author whose books I enoy is John Sanford. I remember him as a reporter for the St. Paul Dispatch & Pioneer Press writing under his given name, John Camp. I have read all of his books most of which have the work Prey in the title and usually involve a seriel killer and a main character, Lucas Davenport. His other books are great as well, the Jason Kidd series and the Virgil Flowers series.
A third author whose new books I look forward to is Lee Child. His Jack Reacher novels are very good entertainment.
I have a lot of the Prey novels and look forward to when a new one arrives. Also really like the Virgil Flowers books by John Sandford.

Have not read any of the Vince Flynn books though.
Old 05-07-2012, 03:31 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Jeffrey Deaver, James Patterson, John Sandford for mystery. I have yet to guess whodunit correctly on Deaver. I used to love the Travis McGee series by John D. MacDonald.

Robert Heinlein, Isaac Asimov, John Ringo for sci-fi. Not a big fantasy fan.

Definitely not a fan of most "female" books but I thoroughly enjoyed Water for Elephants and The Help.

Books I reread: Ayn Rand's Atlas Shrugged; Shakespeare's Merchant of Venice and Taming of the Shrew; Watson's Play of the Hand (my bridge bible); Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land.

There are other authors that I will automatically get their books when they come out but those are my favorite authors. I'm still looking for a new sci-fi author of the Heinlein, Asimov, Clark caliber (hint, hint for you sci-fi fans).

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 05-07-2012, 03:52 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

Also like and have read all the John Sanford books. Others I like are David Balducci, James Clavell, Nelson Demille, Wilbur Smith (probably my favorite author), James Rollins, Carl Hiason, Phillip Margollian, Ken Follet, Steve Martainni, Clive Cussler, Pat Conroy, James Patterson and lots of the classics. Charles Dickens, Mark Twain, Steinbeck, Tolkein and others. I am sure I murdered the spelling on most of these.

Last edited by l2ridehd; 10-11-2012 at 06:49 AM.
Old 05-07-2012, 08:03 PM

Lee Child!
Jack Reacher!
Old 05-07-2012, 09:48 PM
Veteran member

Just went to the Syracuse Author Lecture series tonight and heard Abraham Verghese. Wonderful!!!! If you haven't read Cutting for Stone I highly recommend it. He also wrote My Own Country and The Tennis Partner.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 05-07-2012, 11:16 PM
Sage

Michael Connelly. Jodi Picoult.
Old 05-08-2012, 08:10 AM
Gold member
Default I just read this

Heinlein's Stranger in a Strange Land.

I grok you
Old 05-08-2012, 06:51 PM
Veteran member

Tom Robbins

According to the LA Times: "Trying to describe a Tom Robbins novel by summarizing its plot is like pointing to a snowflake and asking someone to grasp the concept of downhill skiing."
Old 05-09-2012, 06:28 AM
Gold member
Default An Available Man

by Hilma Wolitzer was a great read - written by a woman from the man's point of view - a recent widower. I think she got it right, but then, I'm a woman.

At any rate, really enjoyed this one, and will be seeking out any others by this novelist.

Currently reading "Heartstopper" by Joy Fielding - set in southern Florida in a town on the Tamiami Trail. A serial killer thriller. Pretty good so far. Not a new book (2007), but one of hers I had missed.

I tend to find a new author I like, read all or most of their books and then move on to another, forgetting that they may still be writing new ones. It's like meeting up with an old friend.
Old 06-07-2012, 07:43 PM
Default Favorite Author

My favorite is Richard North Patterson. He writes his own, albeit infrequently, but I have purchased and read every book that he has written. Baldachi is also on my top lister, and I too have just discovered Vince Flynn after asking at Barnes & Noble "who writes like R N Patterson?". No disappointment there. Allison Brennen too.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:20 PM
Gold member

Carla Neggers (thrillers...FBI agents, police).
Recently I have been reading books on the history of Florida. "Last Train to Paradise" written by Les Standiford is about the railroad Henry Flagler built from Miami to Key West and it 's destruction in 1935 by one of the worst hurricanes to crash the Florida Keys. Very interesting!
Old 06-22-2012, 09:10 AM

Yep! Love me some John Sandford. I agree, I like the Flowers books too. I have all the "prey" series, if you have an Ipad, the Kindle app will let you read any book in Mobi format that is sent as an e-mail attachment. You need an Amazon account to open the Kindle app the first time (no cost) after that, it's automatic. I have a tremendous nu,mber of thios sort of stuff in mobi. Tell me what you like, I can e-mail them. IO do it with my wife and daughter's Ipads all the time. It sure beats paying Amazon
Old 06-22-2012, 10:38 AM
Sage

I recommend "Still Alice" by Lisa Genova.
Old 10-02-2012, 05:39 PM

Found a bunch of books by James Lee Burke. Mystery, crime, police procedural, etc
Very talented writer. Many of his books are about situations in and around New Orleans.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.