The Girl Who Played With Fire.

Closed Thread
Old 08-14-2010, 07:49 AM
Taltarzac
Thumbs up The Girl Who Played With Fire.

I finally got around to reading one of the books in the Stieg Larsson Blomkvist/Salander trilogy. This is the 2nd book called The Girl Who Played With Fire. Very entertaining book if a bit frustrating because the author assumes you know Swedish geography which I do not.

The book needs a map of Stockholm and vicinity along with other areas mentioned in the book. At least, the 2nd one does having not read the first or third books.

This might come in handy for people who have not yet read the book or are reading it again. http://www.sverigeturism.se/smorgasb...weden-map.html

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-14-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 08-14-2010, 11:21 AM

I agree with your comment about geography. I thought the second book was good, although a little long in the tooth. However, the third book in the series was absolutely great and you need the second book to set it up.
Old 08-14-2010, 12:06 PM
Taltarzac
Default That's true about the third book as the second one...

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelkir View Post
I agree with your comment about geography. I thought the second book was good, although a little long in the tooth. However, the third book in the series was absolutely great and you need the second book to set it up.
...ends with a cliffhanger or at least with so much of the story as yet unresolved.
Old 10-11-2010, 07:53 PM
Default The Girl W/Dragon Tattoo

I loved all three of the books. Want to rent the Swedish version of the movie before seeing the US version. Anyone seen it yet??
Old 10-11-2010, 08:18 PM

I rented "Girl w/the Dragon Tattoo" from The Redbox at our local Walmart for $1. I've recently seen Blockbuster movie boxes installed in some of our Publix stores, too, though I haven't rented anything from them. Don't know about their availability in TV, though. With the Redbox, you can even reserve it online and then pick it up at the store.

I loved the first book; the 2nd book was a little tough for me to get through, but I'm so glad I stuck it out, because the ending was so exciting!! Now I've just started the 3rd. Can't wait to see how it all finishes up!

Sunday Morning on CBS did a brief story on the author. I had researched him for my book club presentation. Such a loss at such a young age. He died 5 months before the 1st book was published. Very sad.
Old 10-11-2010, 08:22 PM
Gold member

I kind of liked the 1st book best, although I read them all - and not my usual type of book. Something must have appealed to me though. I found the Swedish names more of a problem than the Swedish geography. I just figured the colder it got, the further north it was . . . (please note, I lived in Wisconsin twice)
Old 10-11-2010, 11:06 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cynkr67 View Post
I loved all three of the books. Want to rent the Swedish version of the movie before seeing the US version. Anyone seen it yet??
My wife and I saw it (with subtitles) and we absolutely loved it.
Old 10-12-2010, 07:48 AM

Releases October 26 on Netflix.
Old 10-13-2010, 07:50 AM
Default movie

Thanks! I will try to get it asap and watch it!!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:46 AM
Default Available Now Via Wii/Netflix

Look under Foreign Films. Don't view if you have not read the first book.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 10-13-2010, 01:11 PM

Just got Hornet's Nest. Going out of town and will not get to read until I get back. Looking forward to what will be the last of this series. Bummer!!!
Old 10-13-2010, 03:11 PM

There might be another book . . . I understand that when Larsson passed on, under Swedish law, all of his property went to his father and brother while the woman he had lived with for many years did not get anything. She did however turn down a 2 million euro settlement and it is rumored she has an unfinished manuscript for a fourth book in the series - I'm guessing a fourth book with movie rights may be worth a lot more than the 2 mil.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.