GOOD BOOKS TO READ

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2008, 10:40 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts
Default Re: GOOD BOOKS TO READ

I am about to do a very bad thing here. I am going to recommend a book that I have never read. But it is a book that I thought was going to set the woods, or something, on fire when I got some friends started reading it.

The book is an older one. It is Outlander by Diana Gabaldon, and it is the first in a series.

Here's what happened: - I had gone to a meeting where there were lots of word nerds. The talk turned to favorite books. Someone mentioned Outlander and the women in the room went into a frenzy. It is a time-travel romance, sort of. Not usually my style, but I bought it immediately. I had a lot going on at work at the time. This thing is 600 pages long. I did not read it, but I told several friends about it and about the reaction in that meeting room.

This book set off a chain reaction, as my friends told other friends about it. One friend went to the library to get it, and the librarian she asked about it nearly burst into joyous flames as she searched the shelves for the well worn copy. It seems the main character travels through time and meets this hot Scot...Welllllll, the book is quite full of history and such. Yeah, uh huh, that's it.

H-m-m-m, maybe I should have put this rec over on the Girl Talk thread.

I am so glad I just remembered this book. Now that I am retired, I am going to actually read it.

Boomer

And Tal,

I know that your heart is in the right place when you tell me I will be safe in TV because there is no Borders. But, alas, B&N can get me, too. You are probably thinking, "Why doesn't this woman just go to the library?" I do. And I am a big supporter of libraries. But I am afraid that where books are concerned, I want what I want when I want it.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:51 AM
Gold member

Boomer:

I read the whole series as each was released. They are fabulous, the first 4 books, that is. Outlander, Drums of Autumn, Dragonfly in Amber, and Voyager.
The last 2 ,Fiery Cross and Breath of Snow and Ashes, were not so good. Too much of a good thing after the first 4.
Enjoy

Old 07-16-2008, 07:58 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Recently read a couple of light reading about life in TV which has a more positive slant on TV and yet with amusing twists and turns in the fictitious plots.

The author of the two book is Lorraine Harris who is a resident of TV. I found "Casserole Parade" and "Casserole Surprise." Interesting as the setting in both novels is in TV where she places the various settings within TV. ....b

http://www.authorsden.com/lorrainemharris

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.