Grant

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2013, 11:15 AM
Sage
Default Grant

I am a big fan of Jean Edward Smith as I like to read biographies. Smith has wriiten several of them as "FDR" is a masterpiece. IMHO It is very detailed and very engrossing in that he makes you feel you are living during that time frame.

So I decided to read "Grant", (Ulysses S.) known by some people as Unconditional Surrender". He saved the union in war as was a very good President. Some people disagree with that assessment as he second term in office was rocked by scandals but he was a very honest man. He also was swindaled out of $100,000, by his son's aquaintance and his business partner.

His book on the civil war a big seller for that time period. I am always fascinated about how much research Jean Edward Smith must put into his books as he certainly is very thorough. I don't want to say how many pages but if your dropped it on you big toe, there's a good chance you'll break it.

I am presently reading Eisenhower In War and Peace by J. E.Smith.

I am already fascinated by the fact that if Eisenhower and Marshall had their way with their battle plan attack, it would have been disaster for the U.S.A.
They were over ruled by FDR as commander in chief and later admitted FDR was right. FDR was as a good commander- in chief as he made decisions on selecting the right people to do the job the same as Lincoln when he finally found Grant as his commander-in-chief.

Funny story about Grant. His was being criticized because they were saying he was a drunk and couldn't be trusted to lead men.

Licoln, replied, "it must have been a good brand of liquor"

BTW - Grant did not drink much but he did get drunk a couple of times but ironically, it was only two drinks as he couldn't hold his liquor. I always had the impression, he was short and somewhat on the heavy side. He weighed only 135 lbs when he was commander in chief.

I recommed reading Grant as I think he is misunderstood in a lot of ways. It certainly enlightened me.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 05-16-2014, 09:00 PM

Grant has my birthday April 27
And I had heard he was a heavy drinker and a poor businessman now I want to dispel those ideas by reading
That bio!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.