Have you read any good books lately?

Closed Thread
Old 05-05-2020, 05:58 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Read My Pins: Stories from a Diplomat's Jewel Box by Madeleine Albright

Remember Madeleine Albright's pins? When she was in the public eye, those beautiful pieces of jewelry were in the public eye, too. At least for jewelry lovers.

Read My Pins has stunning, glossy, close up photos of those pins, along with the stories behind them.
Old 05-06-2020, 08:58 AM
Gold member
Default OK I'm her husband

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2newyorkers View Post
Some light reading. The 100 Year Old Man Who Climbed Out The Window and Disappeared.
I would suggest " The Man Who Mistook His Wife for a Hat" by Oliver Sachs
Sacks chose the title of the book from the case study of one of his patients, whom he calls "Dr. P"; P has visual agnosia[1], a neurological condition that leaves him unable to recognize even familiar faces and objects.
Old 05-06-2020, 10:31 AM

Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

Beneath A Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan is my top pick of the last two years
Old 05-26-2020, 01:03 PM
Soaring Parsley

“The Complete Cooking for Two Cookbook: 650 Recipes For Everything You’ll Ever You’ll Ever Want To Make” by America’s Test Kitchen

Last edited by Boomer; 05-26-2020 at 01:10 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 01:10 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

///

Last edited by CFrance; 05-27-2020 at 03:49 PM.
Old 05-26-2020, 03:55 PM
Default Clarinet

I have read several excellent books by Jeff Shaara. He writes historical fiction that is so realistic that you find yourself right with the characters. Some of the books are of various wartime events and you will see the viewpoints from the generals to the privates in the trenches. Highly recommend you give this author a try.
Old 05-26-2020, 05:56 PM
Email Reported As Spam

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveinlife View Post
Killers of the Flower Moon by David Grann

A Gentleman in Moscow by Amor Towles

Beneath A Scarlet Sky by Mark Sullivan is my top pick of the last two years
I have read Killers of the Flower Moon and A Gentleman in Moscow and throughly enjoyed both of them. Based on your recommendation my next selection will be Beneath A Scarlet Sky.
Old 05-27-2020, 07:01 AM

I have around 100 books that i am selling from my personal library
make an offer
great for someone who loves to read or someone who re sells on amazon.
would like to sell the whole lot to 1 person
all non fiction books. email sandyinthevillages@gmail.com
or call 763-784-2446
thank you
Old 05-27-2020, 07:48 AM

Sarah's Key, Tatiana de Rosnay - fiction. WWII German occupation of France.
Old 05-27-2020, 08:44 AM

MANY thanks for this thread! Have added many to my spreadsheet of "Books to Read" Appreciate the annotations re: book content & why someone read it.

I'm reading Save Me the Plums by Ruth Reichl. She became the food editor for Gourmet & this book is her 'food gourmet memoir" If you like cooking & how flavors come together, this book is fascinating. Got it from library. There's a few special recipes in here, but only a few.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:01 PM
Soaring Parsley

Has anyone read “Little Fires Everywhere”?

I am tempted to skip the book and watch the movie tonight on Hulu.

We just finished watching “Defending Jacob” on Apple, but I thought the book was much better. When Apple turned it into a series, it seemed like the storyline was being stretched to run for 8 episodes. There were changes, too. The television version got a little unwieldy. The kid playing Jacob did not have to memorize a lot of lines. He mainly had to just look sullen and not say much. But it was interesting to see Lady Mary from Downton Abbey in a completely different role.

When my book club read “Defending Jacob,” it generated a lot of discussion, especially about “Nature vs. Nurture.”
I thought the book was a whole lot better than the movie.

But I don’t know anything, yet, about “Little Fires Everywhere” except that if I watch the movie first, I probably never will get around to reading the book.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-30-2020 at 06:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 06:51 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Has anyone read “Little Fires Everywhere”?

I am tempted to skip the book and watch the movie tonight on Hulu.

We just finished watching “Defending Jacob” on Apple, but I thought the book was much better. When Apple turned it into a series, it seemed like the storyline was being stretched to run for 8 episodes. There were changes, too. The television version got a little unwieldy. The kid playing Jacob did not have to memorize a lot of lines. He mainly had to just look sullen and not say much. But it was interesting to see Lady Mary from Downton Abbey in a completely different role.

When my book club read “Defending Jacob,” it generated a lot of discussion, especially about “Nature vs. Nurture.”
I thought the book was a whole lot better than the movie.

But I don’t know anything, yet, about “Little Fires Everywhere” except that if I watch the movie first, I probably never will get around to reading the book.
Please, read the book first. Please! You will dive into it--you won't regret it. The series is slightly different from the book in a few areas. If you read it first and then watch the series, PM me your thoughts.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:02 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisinva View Post
MANY thanks for this thread! Have added many to my spreadsheet of "Books to Read" Appreciate the annotations re: book content & why someone read it.

I'm reading Save Me the Plums by Ruth Reichl. She became the food editor for Gourmet & this book is her 'food gourmet memoir" If you like cooking & how flavors come together, this book is fascinating. Got it from library. There's a few special recipes in here, but only a few.
If you like Save Me the Plums, read some of her other books. They're all good. The one about her mother is rather short, so go for another one.

I wish Gourmet Magazine had not lost its focus and gone all political/earth friendly/sustain this/don't do that. It was such an elegant magazine about cooking.
I was a subscriber right up to the bitter end, but the changes that took place were unfortunate.

Old 05-30-2020, 07:13 PM
Soaring Parsley

Quote:
Originally Posted by CFrance View Post
Please, read the book first. Please! You will dive into it--you won't regret it. The series is slightly different from the book in a few areas. If you read it first and then watch the series, PM me your thoughts.
Thank you. I will take your advice. Book first.

I think you just rescued Mr. Boomer from watching the movie with me, tonight. He just finished reading “The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11” by Lawrence Wright. That’s the book that won the Pulitzer for Wright. It is also a Hulu series now. Mr. B. is watching it, but I don’t want to.

Lawrence Wright is the writer who just published “The End of October” that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It’s fiction, about a pandemic. He started it a couple of years ago and gave it to his publisher last year.

Mr. Boomer and I have very different reading lists. I try to keep him supplied with books I think he will like. I am always right, but I do think there is a good chance he would leave me for Doris Kearns Goodwin if she ever gave him a come hither look. I think he has read almost every book she has written. “Team of Rivals” is his favorite.

Last edited by Boomer; 05-30-2020 at 07:19 PM.
Old 05-30-2020, 07:27 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Thank you. I will take your advice. Book first.

I think you just rescued Mr. Boomer from watching the movie with me, tonight. He just finished reading “The Looming Tower: Al-Qaeda and the Road to 9/11” by Lawrence Wright. That’s the book that won the Pulitzer for Wright. It is also a Hulu series now. Mr. B. is watching it, but I don’t want to.

Lawrence Wright is the writer who just published “The End of October” that was mentioned earlier in the thread. It’s fiction, about a pandemic. He started it a couple of years ago and gave it to his publisher last year.

Mr. Boomer and I have very different reading lists. I try to keep him supplied with books I think he will like. I am always right, but I do think there is a good chance he would leave me for Doris Kearns Goodwin if she ever gave him a come hither look. I think he has read almost every book she has written. “Team of Rivals” is his favorite.
Celeste Ng's first book, Everything I Never Told You, is not bad either. Not as good as Little Fires, but a close second. She really has family dynamics down pat.

BTW... In Little Fires Everywhere, you're gonna wanna slap some people.

Tags
read, book, larson, vanderbilt, story

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.