Have you read a classic lately?

Closed Thread
Old 01-11-2015, 02:04 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI SNOWBIRD View Post
I agree with your " I want to live life not discuss it" but why not do both? As Socrates said, "The ‘unexamined life is not worth living’ - I live my life fully but still can educate myself and read how others see life and what it is to be human
Balance is always good. I just wish more people "did" instead of yammering about it or complaining about it, lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
For me living life to the fullest includes discussing it.
That's good. We are all different and that's what makes the world go round. Of course we can learn from each other by discussing things. It's when the same things are pounded to death or entirely and unnecessarily descriptive that my eyes start to glaze over, lol.

I think I was misunderstood. What I meant was if it can explained in 250 words then it doesn't need to be dragged out in 1000 words as many of the true classics are.(of course those are random amounts) It can be discussed and we can all learn about others and empathy from reading but it doesn't need to be such a long drawn out story.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:07 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by ylisa7 View Post
...Sorry…I think I was misunderstood. What I meant was if it can explained in 250 words then it doesn't need to be dragged out in 1000 words as many of the true classics are...

Can't disagree with that.
Old 01-11-2015, 02:25 PM
Location: Manhattan, the Bronx, Eastern LI, Village of Woodbury

I know what you're talking about, and it still goes on in some modern novels that are not 'top sellers' for that reason probably. I steer clear of Charles Dickens and always have. Paid by the word or page and it shows it.

Another set of novels, "Dance to the Music of Time" by Anthony Powell will pull you right into a social group in mid-20th century England. Beautiful writing and some odd and interesting characters - all well developed.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:35 PM

As the thread turns. . .

I am thinking of tweeting The Great American Novel.

Thoroughly Modern Laurie
Old 01-11-2015, 04:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by onslowe View Post
I know what you're talking about, and it still goes on in some modern novels that are not 'top sellers' for that reason probably. I steer clear of Charles Dickens and always have. Paid by the word or page and it shows it.

Another set of novels, "Dance to the Music of Time" by Anthony Powell will pull you right into a social group in mid-20th century England. Beautiful writing and some odd and interesting characters - all well developed.

I always know who would be enjoyable to be around. They summarize.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:02 PM

Anything Jane Austen wrote. Funny, poignant, profound.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.