Hey! Carl Hiaasen Fans! Guess What!

Closed Thread
Old 08-24-2010, 08:12 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Boomer, I saw Carl (may I also call him Carl?) on the Today Show. I was surprised that he was sooooo much cuter on television than he is on the book jacket. Don't think I ever saw him on TV before. I'm sure I would have remembered if I had.
Judy! Judy! Judy! -- Carl Alert! Carl Alert! Carl Alert!

Oh Judy, this morning, when I sat down at my desk to drink coffee and get sidetracked by my computer, I noticed my copy of Star Island in a stack where I abandoned it after I finished it. As I was trying to decide whether I should treasure it on my bookshelf or selflessly donate it to the Friends of the Library book sale, I decided to dig out this thread and have a look at the link I put in the first post, in case there was anything new there.

Ohhhhhhh, is there ever......Judy! Carl is coming soon to a bookstore near you! Well, sort of near you. Nearer to thee than to me anyway.

I was pointing and clicking my way around that link just now, and when I opened the part that says, "See Carl in person!" -- there it was! Carl will be in Orlando at the Winter Park Borders on September 1.

Yeah. I know. I know. Winter Park is not that close to TV, but hey it is closer than it is to Cincinnati.

Alas and (sigh) and (sigh) again, I will not be Florida in time to see Carl at the bookstore in Orlando. I will be around later, but he will be long gone and back in the mangroves by then. (In his FAQ interview about the book, he says that's where he would rather be, like Skink.)

It is probably just as well that I will not be back in town by September 1. I would try to find you and take you along with me so we could swoon together over Carl and his way with words. But I guess it is for the best that I cannot do that. We could get arrested.

Oh my, I can see it now. A slow news day in Orlando might cause a headline.....

Bookstore Cashier Heroically Intervenes When Two Middle-Aged Women Escape The Villages and Fling Themselves at Carl in Orlando

(Hey! No comments out there from the Peanut Gallery. I am middle-aged. Planning to live well past 100. And don't ask me how I know about the Peanut Gallery.) But I digress....back to Judy now.....

So anyway, I just wanted to let you know.....in case you want to go. (sigh)

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-24-2010 at 08:24 PM. Reason: I want to make news day one word, but I let spellcheck win this time
Old 08-24-2010, 08:19 AM
Administrator

When I get my book done anybody who wishes may swoon.
Old 08-24-2010, 11:40 AM
Veteran member

My husband and I just finished reading Star Island and both enjoyed it. We are Hiaasen fans as well and thanks to this "thread"--I reserved the book as soon as it arrived -through the Village Library System- and got it within a week. Love Skink---also think this would make a good movie ---trying to envision who could play him---Clint Eastwood, Tommy Lee Jones and, of course, Billy Bob Thornton come to mind. (I did keep glancing at the picture of Carl on the cover as I read it---very easy on the eyes--)
Old 08-24-2010, 12:45 PM

Boomer, thanks for the review. You made it sound worthwhile. I'll pick it up this week. I'm just finishing the "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" series. Three good books in case you are interested.
Irish
South Amboy, NJ
St. Louis, MO
St. Charles, MO
Lake of the Ozarks, MO

"What if the Hokey Pokey really is what it's all about"?
Old 08-24-2010, 01:10 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer View Post
Judy! Judy! Judy! -- Carl Alert! Carl Alert! Carl Alert!

... "See Carl in person!" -- there it was! Carl will be in Orlando at the Winter Park Borders on September 1.

Bookstore Cashier Heroically Intervenes When Two Middle-Aged Women Escape The Villages and Fling Themselves at Carl in Orlando

. . . So anyway, I just wanted to let you know.....in case you want to go. (sigh)

Boomer
Oh Boomer!
I do so want to go! I have other things lined up, so it will take some shuffling, and I still might not be able to go, but I will definitely be there if I possibly can! Thanks so much for letting me know about this!

And the part about the cashier? Don't you think she would be right there in the middle, flinging with us? ( I wanted to use fracas or melee, but the spell check doesn't work with totv on this computer, and I wasn't sure how they were spelled)

Carl. In person. Think about it.
(Where is the 'swoon' icon, Tony?)
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 08-24-2010, 09:52 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Quote:
Oh Boomer!
I do so want to go! I have other things lined up, so it will take some shuffling, and I still might not be able to go, but I will definitely be there if I possibly can! Thanks so much for letting me know about this!

And the part about the cashier? Don't you think she would be right there in the middle, flinging with us? ( I wanted to use fracas or melee, but the spell check doesn't work with totv on this computer, and I wasn't sure how they were spelled)

Carl. In person. Think about it.
(Where is the 'swoon' icon, Tony?)
Judy,

Oh I know. I am thinking about it. Oh my!

And if you go, I will be thrilled for you and I will try so hard not to be jealous and to accept my geographic fate and try to be happy with living vicariously.

But I do so hope that you will give us a full report, once you get out of jail, of course. In fact, because I started this whole thing, I am offering to post bail. But you have to let me know when you need it. You can just post the info right here. I think there is something in the law that says if you are arrested for inciting chaos in a bookstore, you are allowed to make one post on TOTV before they take away the laptop and lock you up.
- - - - - - - -

Hi sandybill2,

I really like all of your possibilities to play Skink if there is ever a movie version. I keep coming back to your idea of Billy Bob Thornton. Skink has to come off as so crazy and yet so completely charming at the same time. The actor would have to be able to walk that line perfectly.

And it is nice to know that this thread helped you to get on the library list early and that you liked the book.

- - - - - - - -

Hi Irish,

Mr. Boomer is sitting in his recliner at this very moment reading the third book in "The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" trilogy. He has been knocking them out fast. In fact, today when he finished the second one, I asked him if he wanted me to bring him back "The Girl Who Kicked the Hornet's Nest" when I went to the store. He said yes and so I did. He has been reading it all evening, can't put it down, just like with the first two.

I hope you like "Star Island" when you get it.

- - - - -

And Mr. Tony,

So finish the book already.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 08-24-2010 at 10:07 PM.
Old 08-24-2010, 10:50 PM
Platinum member

Isn't this place the best?! Where else (in the whole world!) would you find somebody (unrelated) willing to post bail for you?
Unfortunately, I'm number 29 on the hold list for Star Island at the library. I could just stroll over to Barnes and Noble, but if I can manage to go see Carl in person I could buy the book there and have him autograph it for me!
And I will have Boomer to thank.
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 08-25-2010, 06:56 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Isn't this place the best?! Where else (in the whole world!) would you find somebody (unrelated) willing to post bail for you?
Unfortunately, I'm number 29 on the hold list for Star Island at the library. I could just stroll over to Barnes and Noble, but if I can manage to go see Carl in person I could buy the book there and have him autograph it for me!
And I will have Boomer to thank.
Which library system, uujudy?

The Lake County Library System often has a lot of copies of the books which are in high demand and also puts these on a week loan. Makes it hard to read the book when you eventually get it. You do not have to wait that long though. They will make concessions on the longer books.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-25-2010 at 07:03 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 09:57 AM
Platinum member

Thanks for the info, Tal. I use The Villages Library. I searched the Lake County Library system, but I couldn't find any adult listings for any of Carl's books -- only books for the accelerated readers' program at Gray Middle School. Thanks for the information, though.
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 08-25-2010, 10:43 AM
Taltarzac
Default I just checked. The Lake County Library System has about 7-8 copies of Star Island.

Quote:
Thanks for the info, Tal. I use The Villages Library. I searched the Lake County Library system, but I couldn't find any adult listings for any of Carl's books -- only books for the accelerated readers' program at Gray Middle School. Thanks for the information, though.
I seldom use the Villages Library so I am not aware of how long the Hot New Releases take on waiting lists. I have had to wait though a number of months for high demand DVDs like Avatar, Young Victoria, Up in the Air, etc.

There are several copies of most of the Carl Hiaasen books in the Lake County Library System I checked.

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-25-2010 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:07 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
. . .
There are several copies of most of the Carl Hiaasen books in the Lake County Library System I checked.
I couldn't find them, Tal. Maybe I have to be a member and log on to see them?
Bossier City, Louisiana
The Villages, Florida
Old 08-25-2010, 01:19 PM
Administrator

I noticed nobody asked me to send the beginnings of my manuscript. That's O.K. though, because it would be an embarrassment if you are Carl's fans. He sets the bar pretty high.
Old 08-25-2010, 01:26 PM
Sage

Quote:

http://catalog.lcplin.org/ipac20/ipa...ic&sort=#focus
Old 08-25-2010, 02:04 PM

Hate to burst your bubble but gotta' tell ya I wasn't thrilled with this one. I have enjoyed most Hiaasen novels but this one just didn't keep me interested. Oh well, you can't win 'em all......
Old 08-25-2010, 02:26 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
I did not have to log on with my account number to see this:

"Twenty-two-year-old pop star Cherry Pye is attempting a comeback from her latest drug and alcohol disaster. Ann DeLusia is Cherry's "undercover stunt double," portraying Cherry whenever the singer is too wasted to go out in public. But, one night, Ann-as-Cherry is mistakenly kidnapped from a South Beach hotel by an obsessed paparazzo named Ban ... (to read more see "A Look Inside") "

"HoldingsHoldings Cooper Memorial Library Copies Material Location
Fic Hiaasen C. 1 Books Adult Fiction
Helen Lehmann Memorial Library Copies Material Location
FL Fic Hiaasen C. 1 Books Checked out
Leesburg Public Library Copies Material Location
FL F Hia 1 Books Checked out
W. T. Bland Public Library Copies Material Location
MCN FIC HIAA 1 Books Being transferred between libraries
Minneola Schoolhouse Library Copies Material Location
Fic Hiaasen C 1 Books Checked out
Tavares Public Library Copies Material Location
F Hiaasen 2 Books Checked out
Umatilla Public Library Copies Material Location
F Hiaasen C. 1 One-week Item Being cataloged"

Last edited by Taltarzac725; 08-25-2010 at 02:31 PM.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.