How many books do you read per year?

View Poll Results: Wonder what kind of readers we have on TOTV? How many books do you read per year?
0-2 3 10.34%
3-4 1 3.45%
5-6 1 3.45%
7-8 1 3.45%
9-10 2 6.90%
10-20 5 17.24%
21-30 3 10.34%
31-40 2 6.90%
41-50 1 3.45%
51-60 2 6.90%
61-70 1 3.45%
71-80 0 0%
81-90 1 3.45%
91-100 1 3.45%
> 101 3 10.34%
read other materials than books 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2008, 04:41 AM
Eternal Member
Default Re: How many books do you read per year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac

"You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me."

About these voices? Are people attached to them? Once had a fellow student at the U of Denver Graduate School of Librarianship and Information Management who always demanded an extra seat for her invisible friend. I just see numbers in weird places and think they may mean something. Who knows?
No, I don't see invisible people. I just . . . what . . . wait a sec . . . she says she sees invisible people all the time but cannot identify them because they are invisible. But I wouldn't put too much faith in that. My voices have been known to lie a bit, especially this one. Truth? Who can't handle the truth? I once had an invisible friend who was actually a pooka, a 6 foot rabbit. No, wait. That wasn't me. It was Jimmy Stewart. I gotta go now. Nurse Ratched is here with my pills. :yikes:

Time flies like an arrow.
Fruit flies like a banana.
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-05-2008, 04:50 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Tal,

The book I saw the review of, "Free For All: Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library " was not about the librarians, it was about the patrons. - tales told by a librarian about adventures on the job. They don't call it the public library for nothing.

Boomer
Old 02-05-2008, 11:48 AM
Location: Village of Marsh Bend, The Villages, FL; Oakland, CA; Boston, MA.

I used to read a lot more than I do these days. I seem to do way too much reading on my computer. Was a time I was always clutching a book in my hands now they are mostly in stacks hanging around my house. I seem to be reading these forums, The Villages Daily Sun which we have delivered to us here in MA most of the time. Every vehicle I use has books and magazines in it...... you never know when you might have to be hanging around somewhere. If I don't have my computer with me and/or get tired of using my phone to participate in forums or play games then for sure I'm reading something. lol
Old 02-05-2008, 01:03 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
Tal,

The book I saw the review of, "Free For All: Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library " was not about the librarians, it was about the patrons. - tales told by a librarian about adventures on the job. They don't call it the public library for nothing.

Boomer
Some of the patrons can be very strange. Once had a female stalker for nearly a year while I was at the University of MN Law Library. Previously to me, she had chained herself to a U of MN professor's desk to show her resolve. With me, she just stared at me for hours at end while doing absolutely nothing but look busy right in front of the reference desk. What could we do? She still had rights and this was a public university's law library.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:01 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,204 Times in 740 Posts

Tal,

You could probably have written this book.

I know a public librarian who broke up a fight between two loser women fighting over a loser man. Mild-mannered librarian that she is, she jumped into it and used a really loud voice to yell, "Stop." -a voice she did not even know could come out of her. They stopped. I shudder to think what might have happened had they not.

The circulation desk librarians are open to the most stressful days of all, I think. There are members of the public who can become really rude over their fines. Rudeness and foul language does not necessarily come from the usual suspects. When faced with a fine, there are a few soccer moms who can cut loose like you would not believe.

I think those library schools may need to add a course that qualifies librarians as bouncers.

Oh, and btw, about the book recs.: Do you think it could work here if the book recommendations were organized by the month? That might keep them to be more accessible. Such an idea could fizzle or it could fly. But it might be worth a try.

Oh, poor Tal, I think I am assigning you projects. I think I need to go back to work. NOT.

Boomer

Old 02-06-2008, 08:17 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
Tal,

You could probably have written this book.

I know a public librarian who broke up a fight between two loser women fighting over a loser man. Mild-mannered librarian that she is, she jumped into it and used a really loud voice to yell, "Stop." -a voice she did not even know could come out of her. They stopped. I shudder to think what might have happened had they not.

The circulation desk librarians are open to the most stressful days of all, I think. There are members of the public who can become really rude over their fines. Rudeness and foul language does not necessarily come from the usual suspects. When faced with a fine, there are a few soccer moms who can cut loose like you would not believe.

I think those library schools may need to add a course that qualifies librarians as bouncers.

Oh, and btw, about the book recs.: Do you think it could work here if the book recommendations were organized by the month? That might keep them to be more accessible. Such an idea could fizzle or it could fly. But it might be worth a try.

Oh, poor Tal, I think I am assigning you projects. I think I need to go back to work. NOT.

Boomer

Good idea about having a new book recommendation string every month.

As far as behavior is concerned in public libraries. Some public library directors could give JR Ewing, Jr. from Dallas a run for his money.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.