KIndle or Nook

Closed Thread
Old 02-09-2010, 06:33 PM
Gold member

I have had the Nook for 2 weeks and am reading my third book....I love it.....I change the font according to the level of eye strain...gets bigger as the day goes on...LOL

It is easy to use, comfortable to hold, especially with the leather cover my grandsons gave me.

It takes a bit of time to boot up, but otherwise no complaints. I can read for about 14 hours on a charge.

I checked out all the e-readers and found the Nook the most comfortable to hold for me.

The pricing right now is $9.95 for bestsellers and new books, but there are a lot of choices for new and old publications that are much cheaper......I hope that holds.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:06 AM
Platinum member
Default Cost of books (Nook)

Here is what my 4 books have cost:
3 Cups of Tea $7.50
Heidi $0
Kennedy $9.99
Girl With the Dragon Tattoo $5.50

It is new, and I probably went overboard this month, but there are quite a few books that are free or $.99
People don't have to worry what to get me as a gift anymore. I accept all B&N gift cards. LOL Can get them online and they start at $10.
Tampa, FL

Last edited by Avista; 02-10-2010 at 07:08 AM.
Old 02-10-2010, 07:21 AM
Platinum member
Default Finding Free ebooks for Nook

Here is a quick video to find free e-book for Nook: Scroll down a little. This is a quick little videol

http://www.nookboards.com/forum/inde...=1223.msg0#new
Tampa, FL
Old 02-10-2010, 12:53 PM
Default nook

Finally ordered the nook after going to Barnes and Nobles and seeing it in person. it should be here tomorrow ----------can not wait --the bad part is it is my daughters so will see it in passing -----I have gone to feedbooks.com and downloaded free books in pdf format to fet use to reading a book on a machine. It is ok and free is a good price - but it is the old classic for free that I have not read since I was a kid so it was fun
as to weather kindle or nook - both are good and you will enjoy them --
Old 02-10-2010, 01:17 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Default Nook .vs. Kindle .vs. iPad

It will be interesting to see if the new Apple iPad will cut into the sales of the Nook and Kindle. From reading some of the posts here, I understand reading in eInk is easier on the eyes than a screen with back lighting.

I currently do not use an ereader, but I do like Apple products. In fact, there's a Kindle app for the iPhone that I have used, as well as the Barnes & Noble eReader. Both are good, but the iPhone screen is just a bit too small to use for long periods of reading. On a recent flight to the US, I did try to read Dan Brown's Lost Symbol. Book is great, but I couldn't read the iPhone for more than about an hour. Bought the hardcover book in Heathrow on the way back to Germany. I will say though, it's nice to be able to read a book and listen to some soft music at the same time, from the same device.

Anyone else thinking about getting an ereader? Will you wait for the iPad, before purchasing?
Old 02-10-2010, 05:27 PM
Platinum member
Default From a woman's perspective:

From a woman's perspective, I would not be interested in the I-Pad as a reader. It might be OK to use to read occasionally, but not for those of us who read hours at a time. For one thing, the back light is like a computer. The e-ink is so easy on ones eyes. The font on the Nook and probably the KIndle is so easy to adjust--even while reading. The size of the Nook and Kindle is just right. I have a book cover for my Nook. So small and easy to take everywhere.
I Pad may be great, but in my opinion, not as a dedicated reader.

Oh, and as far as music goes, one can download music into a Nook and listen/read at the same time.
Tampa, FL

Last edited by Avista; 02-10-2010 at 05:31 PM.
Old 02-10-2010, 09:44 PM
Default It like being lost in the library

Love the Kindle! Shopping for books is my favorite. It's like having a library at your fingertips. You can search for topics of interest or specific authors. There is a free sample available for any book you choose.
Old 02-13-2010, 09:47 PM
Gold member

What a great analogy....re: lost in the library. That is exactly how I feel when searching for a new read on my Nook.Can't wait to take a trip and not have to take a bunch of books with me........I''ll just download them to the Nook.
Old 06-14-2010, 02:43 PM
Default About the Kindle

I have the larger model and I really enjoy using it, however there is something to say about the smaller Kindle being easier to carry around.
Old 07-27-2010, 02:41 PM
Veteran member

I've had my Nook for a couple of weeks now and highly recommend it, especially since the price dropped to $200 (or $150 for the non-3G version). And if you have a wireless home network, the $150 model is all you need. I did a lot of research comparing the Nook vs the Kindle and there are only a few differences between the two. The Nook reads books from epub which has free classics, the Kindle doesn't. Not that big a deal since you can find free classics elsewhere. The Nook lets you lend books out for 2 weeks, Kindle doesn't. Nook lets you change out the battery yourself, if the Kindle battery goes bad you have to send it back to Amazon. Kindle lets you web browse over 3G, Nook needs WiFi. My decision came down to having a Barnes & Noble close by in LSL for support and free offers.

BTW, you don't need to shut the Nook down completely unless you don't plan on using it for a week or more. It automatically goes into a sleep mode after 5 minutes (or a time you select). Then it will come back on instantly instead of the lengthy boot up.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:14 PM
Sage

I've had the original Kindle for more than two years, and love it. You can change your own batteries. Good thing. I think having to send it somewhere to change the batteries would be a deal killer for me!

BTW, if I were buying a Nook, I would NOT get one with only WiFi, even though I have wireless home network. The great thing about the e-reader, is the ability to read anywhere. Wouldn't it kind of defeat the purpose to be sitting in a doctor's office that had only a private network (or anywhere without public WiFi) and not be able to use the e-reader? Might as well go back to carry around books.
Old 07-27-2010, 03:21 PM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I guess I don't understand your Kindle and nook comparisons. Kindle shuts down after 5 minutes on it's own, is ready to read again in under a second. I share books forever with the Kindle, not just two weeks. My wife and I each have one and just sync them up and we have all the books either has bought. Kindle has 1000's of free books. Kindle works on my home in VA and in TV on the wireless network. Also has the 3G so can connect anywhere. Your probably right about the battery, never have had to change it and have had it over a year now. And as for the number of books available, it seems limitless from Amazon. One downside to Kindle, maybe the nook as well, is that if you leave the wireless on, the battery only lasts about 6-8 hours. Turn it off and I charge about every two weeks and use it an hour or more every day.

I am sure both are great products, just didn't want wrong information shared.

Last edited by l2ridehd; 07-28-2010 at 07:32 AM.
Old 07-27-2010, 05:59 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Don't know if anyone has mentioned the great feature with Kindle where you can download a preview of a book which is about three chapters at no charge. If you like what you've read, you can then order it; if you don't enjoy it, just delete it.

Love our Kindle......b

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 07-27-2010, 06:45 PM
Veteran member

After comparing the nook and kindle to the ipad, there is just no comparison.
My friend has an ipad........it blows away the other two, IMHO. I'm looking forward to future versions to be even more impressive. I found the book reading on it enjoyable, and easy to use. Additional apps are icing on the cake.

I agree one does not need the 3g version.

Frank
Old 07-27-2010, 07:04 PM
Veteran member
Default Kindle User Here

I've had Kindles since the first release and heartily endorse them. I now use the Kindle DX and have passed my K1 and K2 on to the kids. One of the things I enjoy is that all three of us (really up to five) can have access to the same library. Once a book is purchased all three of us have full use of it. It will always be available in the on-line library, so you do not need to have 1,000 books on your Kindle, although you can.

You can get a two week free trial period on any of the Kindle magazines or newspapers. These vary in quality. I prefer the Kindle version of The Wall Street Journal to the print edition. The larger papers, the NY Times, Washington Post, etc, do an excellent job with their Kindle editions. Some of the others, not so good. As with any new technology, it takes time to shake out the wrinkles. The two week trial period makes this a no risk offer to try.

If you buy a Kindle and do not like it, Amazon has a thirty day return policy.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.