Kindle Question

Closed Thread
Old 04-14-2011, 09:12 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by JenAjd View Post
We got the $189.00 one. It'll be an exciting day when either the delivery is made!!! I'll let you know once it's here and how it's going with the ownership!
I replaced my original Kindle earlier this year with the Kindle3 and sprang for the 3G too, as I was accustomed to it. Sometimes I'll be talking to someone who mentions a great book I would love and I download it then and there.

I didn't see this thread before you ordered to recommend whether to order at Amazon or buy locally. I ordered from Amazon too. In addition to no sales tax (or shipping) a big advantage is that it comes already set up with a Kindle account. You can start using it right out of the box.

Can't wait to hear how much you love it.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:00 PM
Veteran member

You all are great sales people! The Easter Bunny just ordered mine from Amazon
Old 04-15-2011, 07:33 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by PR1234 View Post
You all are great sales people! The Easter Bunny just ordered mine from Amazon

Isn't it great to have this forum to gain information and encourage one another!!! LOVE to hear that our "good salesmanship" has helped even one more person!!!

Oh...and it's also great to hear I'll already be set up with a Kindle Account as well! BONUS!!!!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 09:24 AM
Veteran member

Quote:
Isn't it great to have this forum to gain information and encourage one another!!! LOVE to hear that our "good salesmanship" has helped even one more person!!!

Oh...and it's also great to hear I'll already be set up with a Kindle Account as well! BONUS!!!!!!
YES it is....LOL JenAjd....just in case we can't figure the Kindle out when we get them, Sat. the 23rd there is a two hr class at the Learning College.....I may see you there
Old 04-15-2011, 09:31 AM

I enjoy my Kindle. The $139 version is WIFI...you can download books from the computer or WIFI...you can not download newspapers from your computer...only WIFI. Secondly this unit has about 1 month of battery power...the other expensive one about 10 days. No matter which one you pick, you'll love the Kindle.
To my knowledge it is the only ereader that you can read outside...which is nice to do at TV.
Old 04-15-2011, 09:36 AM
Sage

The original monochrome Nook is great for reading outside. I have an iPad and prefer it for indoor ereading but the screen glare made it uncomfortable for outdoor reading. I understand the color Nook might have some glare issues in outdoor use.

I bought a $99 refurbished wifi monochrome Nook and happily use it at the pool and other outdoor settings. I also did the $15 Philadelphia free library subscription (thank you Avista for the lead!!!) and between that and the free Friday books from B&N, always have plenty of reading material stacked up.

I have grown to prefer ereading to conventional books...much more comfortable to hold and easier on the eyes.
Old 04-15-2011, 05:46 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
The original monochrome Nook is great for reading outside. I have an iPad and prefer it for indoor ereading but the screen glare made it uncomfortable for outdoor reading. I understand the color Nook might have some glare issues in outdoor use.

I bought a $99 refurbished wifi monochrome Nook and happily use it at the pool and other outdoor settings. I also did the $15 Philadelphia free library subscription (thank you Avista for the lead!!!) and between that and the free Friday books from B&N, always have plenty of reading material stacked up.

I have grown to prefer ereading to conventional books...much more comfortable to hold and easier on the eyes.
Same for me. I ended up buying the Nook instead of the Kindle because it supports library books, and I too joined the Philadelphia free library. I considered the iPad but was afraid the glare screen would bother my eyes after awhile, plus it appears it needs to be re-charged more frequently. I've been very happy with my Nook, and have even used the wifi feature on occasion to check my email.
Old 04-15-2011, 06:11 PM
Sage

Hubby bought a iPad2. It's great for checking email and for viewing photos and video. It's fine for reading short online articles. However, if I'm just reading continuously, I do get eye strain on it after 10 minutes or so. It would not be comfortable for me to sit for long periods and read a book on it.

To me, the e-ink used by e-readers is easier on the eyes that traditional print on paper. The Kindle3's e-ink and screen are exceptional!

But, paper printing is definitely easier on the eyes that reading "traditional" pixels on a backlit screen. The iPad may be a good replacement for a laptop or netbooks. It is not a good substitute for a Kindle.
Old 04-15-2011, 08:43 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191
Default The Kindle....

Little has been mentioned about the Amazon Kindle account where one can order a book NO CHARGE with the first three chapters to read and if you find it interesting, then you can buy it and they send you the complete book. If you choose not to buy it, you are not billed for it. I think that's a great feature on the Kindle and I've used it a number of times.

Luv my Kindle...

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 04-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by barb1191 View Post
Little has been mentioned about the Amazon Kindle account where one can order a book NO CHARGE with the first three chapters to read and if you find it interesting, then you can buy it and they send you the complete book. If you choose not to buy it, you are not billed for it. I think that's a great feature on the Kindle and I've used it a number of times.

Luv my Kindle...
Plus aren't there also free books to have as well? I thought I'd heard that! I can't wait to explore my options!!!
Old 04-15-2011, 10:00 PM
Gold member

There are thousands and thousands of free books. Almost all the classics available free for the kindle from Amazon.
Old 04-15-2011, 10:58 PM
Eternal Member
Send a message via AIM to barb1191

Quote:
Plus aren't there also free books to have as well? I thought I'd heard that! I can't wait to explore my options!!!
Yes, with Amazon there are many free books and lots of them are classics and historic genre...... as well as some for .99 cents.

The best part is the convenience of ordering a book and in minutes you can be reading that very book!

Luv my Kindle and you will too.

Most people walk in and out of your life, but FRIENDS leave footprints in your heart.

"Being kind is more important than being right." By Andy Rooney
Old 04-16-2011, 01:56 AM
Veteran member
Default I Strongly Recommend Kindle

I use both Kindle and iPad and would not give up either. Kindle is a reader and a very good one. The Amazon library stays with you forever and can be used by six different people on one account. Thee of my kids and I have read The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo trilogy and I have had to pay for it only once.

One of the critical questions is where you wish to purchase your books. Apple's ibooks can be read on Apple Products only. Both Nook and Kindle books can be read on virtually any computer, tablet, smart phone or eReader. For this reason, I believe it is smarter to purchase all your books from either Amazon or Barnes & Noble. I favor Amazon because of B&N's financial woes.
Old 04-16-2011, 09:03 AM
Default Kindle DX and Ipad 2

Bought a Kindle DX last fall for my SO. She enjoys reading, word games and mahjong. I received my Ipad 2 last week and thoroughly enjoy reading as well as all the other apps I use. I may add the Kindle app to try it. But I have no problem reading for long periods of time.

Plymouth (MA)
Lexington (MA)
Old 04-16-2011, 11:21 AM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

I have a Nook. When I download a book, I always download it to my computer first, rather than straight to the Nook. That way, I can use it on other reading devices if need be.

The nook can download free books from libraries, from google books, and also has an option that allows you to "loan" the ebook when you have finished reading it.

Love my Nook!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.