Tampa, FL
Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
http://www.woot.com/

This looks like a good deal
Refurbished. But still a good price.
With Barnes and Noble Inc (BKS) down more than half of what it was a year ago ($9.02 vs $21.99), I have some concern about their ability to continue to support the Nook.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 04-13-2011, 02:38 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Refurbished. But still a good price.
With Barnes and Noble Inc (BKS) down more than half of what it was a year ago ($9.02 vs $21.99), I have some concern about their ability to continue to support the Nook.
That's exactly why I have a Kindle. I don't think Amazon is in any danger of going out of business.
Old 04-13-2011, 03:18 PM

I"d still get the Nook, I can use it to get library ebooks for nothing...and other places as well that use epub format, which you can't do with the kindle.

love my nook, which was refurbished with 1 year guarantee...can't beat it.
Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudacee View Post
I"d still get the Nook, I can use it to get library ebooks for nothing...and other places as well that use epub format, which you can't do with the kindle.

love my nook, which was refurbished with 1 year guarantee...can't beat it.
Getting books from the library idea is great, but not without problems. To get the book you have to go to the library's website and download it. There is a set amount of time that you have to read it (14 days usually). The library may only have a couple copies of any book that you might actually want and you have to reserve a hold on the book (just like a regular book) and wait. Many of the most popular books will have wait lists of up to 100 people. You may get frustrated waiting and end up buying the book outright.
Some libraries, mine included, are not part of the OverDrive system. Given the present economy, they don't have the needed funds.
Any non-DRM'd epub book can be easily converted by Calibre to be read on a Kindle.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 PM

Be careful. This is a 1st gen Nook. Not the Nook Color. Technology moves fast these days. Even the Nook Color is near obsolescence, although it has been hacked for Android Honeycomb. Still, I suspect that's a limited experience since it would be underpowered.
Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 PM

For $15 / year, I joined the Philadelphia Free Library, and really haven't had problems with getting books I want to read. I just put myself on the list for as many books I'm interested in, and usually when I finish one, another one comes up. (waiting list ranges from 5 to 15). I have 21 days to read it on the Nook, which so far, hasn't been a problem at all (I usually devour the books, lol).

But, it doesn't mean I don't use B&N, too. My family knows to give me gift cards there.

Kindle or Nook, still fun, isn't it? Same with PC vs Mac (yep, I'm a Mac person, too)
Old 04-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudacee View Post
For $15 / year, I joined the Philadelphia Free Library, and really haven't had problems with getting books I want to read. I just put myself on the list for as many books I'm interested in, and usually when I finish one, another one comes up. (waiting list ranges from 5 to 15). I have 21 days to read it on the Nook, which so far, hasn't been a problem at all (I usually devour the books, lol).

But, it doesn't mean I don't use B&N, too. My family knows to give me gift cards there.

Kindle or Nook, still fun, isn't it? Same with PC vs Mac (yep, I'm a Mac person, too)
I agree with you. Have enjoyed my library books and like you also get the free books and buy others.

Whether a Nook, Kindle or iPad (Where you can download both Nook, Kindle and iBooks to read), you will love the ereading expeience. I especially like being able to change the font and with the iPad the background color. I like the sepia background.
Tampa, FL
Old 04-14-2011, 09:27 AM
Veteran member

Finally bit the bullet and purchased my Kindle last night from Amazon...no s/h or tax so should be "good to go" in a few days!!! I'm not technology proficient so hopefully it won't be hard to get used to. I think this will be a good thing to have for traveling since I love to read in the car or plane. Won't have to carry heavy books in the tote anymore etc. Whoo Hoo!!
I'm sure I may also read regular books now and then but with the downsizing here..purchasing them probably won't happen as often AND I'll be anxious to use the new library too.
Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Default Nook

Bought the Nook (refurbished) from woot $104 with fed Ex shipping. It will take about a week to get here.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.