Kindle vs. Nook, Battle of eReaders

Closed Thread
Old 01-10-2011, 11:00 AM
Question Kindle vs. Nook, Battle of eReaders

Hello my friends;

I have read many of the reviews and customer comments on several forums regarding both the Kindle and the Nook. I am seriously considering purchasing a Kindle in the very near future (I never thought the day would come when a dedicated hardcover bibliophile would give it up to an electronic device) However, before I make the jump I'd really like to hear from owners, yes actual users. What to you like best? Are there disadvantages and if so please define them.

Most of the professionals say the war is essentially over and Kindle holds the field of battle. What do you think?

Your comments will be so much appreciated.

Thanks!
Old 01-10-2011, 11:05 AM
Gold member

We've had 3 Kindles. I bought my wife a Kindle 1 for Xmas a few years ago. I'm not a reader but I enjoyed reading on her Kindle so when the Kindle 2 came out I purchased one for myself. When the Kindle 3 came out at a reduced price I got her one and we gave our Kindle 1 to a friend. Of course we have really enjoyed our Kindles and the customer support at Amazon is superb which to me is a big plus. There was one feature of the Nook that the Kindle didn't have. That was the book lending. I understand that you can now do that with the Kindle. I personally don't think you can go wrong with either device.

John

"Don't curse the darkness when you can light a candle"
Old 01-10-2011, 11:24 AM

One thing to keep in mind is the financial situation of the companies involved I would think that Amazon is on a much better footing and therefore the Kindle should be around for a while.
Old 01-10-2011, 11:34 AM
Platinum member

We are a two Nook house. I'm sure either the Nook or Kindle will serve you well.
The Nook has a open platform allowing you to borrow ebooks from the library as well as buying them from other places besides Barnes and Noble. This I like. My Nook has library books on it all the time. My daughter works in a library and would not buy an e-reader that did not accept library books.

If you're not interested in library books and are content to buy only from Amazon, the Kindle I think would be fine.

Make a trip to B&N to see the Nook. Then check out the Kindle at Best Buy. Both seem to be great e-readers.

Customer service with the Nook has been great. B&N offers free classes for Nook owners. Also you can run and see them with any problem as well as the B&N 800 number for help.
Tampa, FL
Old 01-10-2011, 12:24 PM
Default I love my Kindle

I got a Kindle 3 for Christmas...and I love it. Don't want to read/subscribe to magazines, I just want to read a book and didn't mind the non-lending of Kindle, but now I think they do allow to any device for 14 days. Anyway, some of the things I really like is: lighter, thinner; easy to use; page turning is quicker than the nook; wider range of books Amazon just has more; better PDF support; text to speech; battery life (1 month as compared to 10 days w/nook). I'm sure I'll discover more to love, but that's what I came up with. Before getting my kindle, though, I read a LOT of reviews from techno geeks that were very helpful. Whatever your choice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I too would never have thought that I'd be using an electronic device instead of a real book.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:42 AM
Veteran member

I just bought a color Nook and am completely satisfied with it. I researched the reviews (google "ereader reviews comparison") on both and it was obvious you could not go wrong with either one. Read the reviews and see which one fits your preferences. I chose the Nook because of the color aspect and the extra things available when in B&N, including the free classes there. I went to the one held Saturday and there were about 30 people attending. I was able to go out to the site Project Gutenberg where you can download over 33,000 free ebooks to read on your PC, iPad, Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, iPhone, Android or other portable device (http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page). I downloaded several books to the PC, hooked up the Nook with the USB cable and copied them to the Nook.
Old 01-11-2011, 09:34 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by DickY View Post
I just bought a color Nook and am completely satisfied with it. I researched the reviews (google "ereader reviews comparison") on both and it was obvious you could not go wrong with either one. Read the reviews and see which one fits your preferences. I chose the Nook because of the color aspect and the extra things available when in B&N, including the free classes there. I went to the one held Saturday and there were about 30 people attending. I was able to go out to the site Project Gutenberg where you can download over 33,000 free ebooks to read on your PC, iPad, Kindle, Nook, Sony Reader, iPhone, Android or other portable device

(http://www.gutenberg.org/wiki/Main_Page). I downloaded several books to the PC, hooked up the Nook with the USB cable and copied them to the Nook.
Also, did you see the "Skins" Amazon is selling for the color NooK?
http://www.amazon.com/s?ie=UTF8&x=0&...%3Delectronics
Tampa, FL
Old 01-11-2011, 10:58 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeeGee View Post
I got a Kindle 3 for Christmas...and I love it. Don't want to read/subscribe to magazines, I just want to read a book and didn't mind the non-lending of Kindle, but now I think they do allow to any device for 14 days. Anyway, some of the things I really like is: lighter, thinner; easy to use; page turning is quicker than the nook; wider range of books Amazon just has more; better PDF support; text to speech; battery life (1 month as compared to 10 days w/nook). I'm sure I'll discover more to love, but that's what I came up with. Before getting my kindle, though, I read a LOT of reviews from techno geeks that were very helpful. Whatever your choice, I'm sure you'll enjoy it. I too would never have thought that I'd be using an electronic device instead of a real book.
Hi dfn8ly,
BeeGee summed up my thoughts. In addition, the current Kindle has a sharper screen, and I like the navigation on the Kindle better.

I've loved to read books all my life. I think you will be pleasantly surprised that, at least at our 55+ age, the e-readers are easier on the eyes than many printed books that with smallish type and average-quality paper.

Enjoy!
Old 01-11-2011, 11:43 PM
Veteran member

I have owned a Kindle for over a year now and absolutely love it. However, the nook has come a long way in the past year. The few shortcomings I have found in the kindle after a year of use are: no color; no back-light; no ability to download books from the library or other open sources;
The things I really love about the kindle are: easy to use, to carry around and to navigate; huge selection of books from amazon. But the best thing about the kindle has been customer service. I have dropped and broken it twice in the last year. Each time I broke it, Amazon sent me a new on via ups with 2 days. Now that my year warranty is up, I am being a lot more careful with it.
Old 01-12-2011, 10:20 AM

Thank you everyone! You have been and continue to be a big help. I have ordered my Kindle and really look forward to many happy days with this ingenious device. One of my "good" friends made the comment "YOU ordered an electronic reader?" I responded with pride (you see she knows I'm an electronics geek. I can't plug in a string of holiday lights).

Again, so many thanks to all who responded. You helped me make what I hope will be a rewarding experience.
Old 05-10-2011, 10:24 PM

Congratulations on your new Kindle.
I'm sure it will be a source of reading pleasure for you.
Old 05-14-2011, 02:43 PM
Default Kindle vs. Nook

I brought the Kindle back because the web browser was inferior. The Nook now has Flash as part of its web browser. The reader is good on the Nook and I like the touch screen. Plugged into my PC, the Nook functions as a separate drive with the ability to download .pdf files as well as E-PUB books from Project Gutenberg.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:25 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonyafd View Post
I brought the Kindle back because the web browser was inferior. The Nook now has Flash as part of its web browser. The reader is good on the Nook and I like the touch screen. Plugged into my PC, the Nook functions as a separate drive with the ability to download .pdf files as well as E-PUB books from Project Gutenberg.
Do you mean the color nook or the regular nook? I bought the regualr nook a few months ago, and don't have flash.

I do like the ability to get library books that the nook offers. I'd never buy a kindle for that reason.
Old 05-14-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
Do you mean the color nook or the regular nook? I bought the regualr nook a few months ago, and don't have flash.

I do like the ability to get library books that the nook offers. I'd never buy a kindle for that reason.
Taj44
Amazon has indicated the Kindle will be able to get library books within a few months. I just bought the 114.00 Kindle and love it. I like the feature that you can get a sample of a book before buying it, most likely available on all e-readers.
Old 09-18-2011, 02:15 PM
Platinum member
Default HELP - accessing library books on Nook

Following advice on this forum, I bought a Nook and have a Philadelphia library card. I cannot figure out how to get the books from the library. Can someone help?

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.