A Legal Lynching

Closed Thread
Old 10-18-2014, 05:16 PM
Veteran member
Default A Legal Lynching

Just finished reading a true story on the Groveland Four. If you don't know about this Florida history, please check it out.

The book was written by Gary Corsair who used to be editor of the Sun. His research and probing about this story of 4 young black men who were accused and tried by one sheriff and how they were treated will be hard reading for some.

The story occurred in the late '40's and early '50's. I grew up in a melting pot city and never knew of "white" fountains and "black" fountains, etc. To read this story was a true eye opener.

So glad we as a society have gotten past these types of racial stereotypes...or have we?
Old 10-19-2014, 04:14 AM

Will look for that, thank you. I read another version "Devil in the Grove" by Gilbert King and have recommended it to many. With caution, as you say, as it is a heartbreaking and eye-opening read. Devil in the Grove focuses on the defense of the four boys by Thurgood Marshall. It's important to understand how much America has changed - and not - to gain perspective on current events.
Old 10-19-2014, 11:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vorage View Post
Will look for that, thank you. I read another version "Devil in the Grove" by Gilbert King and have recommended it to many. With caution, as you say, as it is a heartbreaking and eye-opening read. Devil in the Grove focuses on the defense of the four boys by Thurgood Marshall. It's important to understand how much America has changed - and not - to gain perspective on current events.
I read the Gilbert King book. Great read if you enjoy that book genre, which I do.Local history as well
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.