Life Lessons of a Legand

Closed Thread
Old 10-28-2008, 12:10 PM
Default Life Lessons of a Legand

This book by Brad Manard is a biography about the Legendary former Mayor/Bar Owner/Pirate of Key West, Tony Tarracino. He is an interesting character, politician, womanizer and philosopher. On our visit to the Keys this week we found him in the flesh at 90 years old, still signing autographs in his Key West Bar, Captain Tony's.

The book chronicles his intriguing life from poverty in Jersey to gun running for the government and his enduring relationships with all types of people from the homeless street people to the famous Mel Fischer & Jimmy Buffet. He was the father of 13 children, by 8 different women. His brutally honest, no candy coating, self appraisal of a life lived on the edge was inspiring and entertaining.

If more people lived by his simple three pronged life philosophy that (1)compassion is the only worthwhile word in the dictionary, (2)people are the only things that matter, and (3)Take time to share a kind word, this would be a much better world. He makes no excuses for his wild life and the book and author are refreshing in their optimism and open mindedness.

I love books that tell the story of places I visit, and this one (recommended by the Key West newspaper) did not disappoint. I am sorry that I didn't stay long enough at Captain Tony's to have the legend autograph my copy.
Old 10-28-2008, 12:37 PM
Smile

Sounds like a great book.
I was in Key West and met Mel Fischer. Then went back and it was his funeral. "Today's the day".
Thanks for the book report.
Old 11-04-2008, 04:58 PM
Default The Legand dies

I heard Tony died this week. I wish I would have spent the extra time and waited to have him sign my book. He will be missed by many.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.