Lisa See

Closed Thread
Old 05-22-2010, 09:01 PM
Default Lisa See

Has anyone read any books by Lisa See?

I recently finished, "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan," and I didn't want it to end.

I think she has a way of bringing the Chinese culture, beliefs, and ideas to life through her characters.

A friend just recommended another of her books, "Dragon Bones," so I will be starting that.
Old 05-22-2010, 09:53 PM
Platinum member

Oatmeal, I loved "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan." Thanks for the tip about "Dragon Bones."
We'll have to compare notes when we're finished reading it.
Judy
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 05-23-2010, 10:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uujudy View Post
Oatmeal, I loved "Snow Flower and the Secret Fan." Thanks for the tip about "Dragon Bones."
We'll have to compare notes when we're finished reading it.
Judy
Judy, glad to hear you loved "Snow Flow and the Secret Fan" too! And, yes!!, let's compare notes on "Dragon Bones." Dianne
Old 05-26-2010, 09:12 PM
Default Lisa See

You will also like her book Peony In Love. Right now I am reading Shanghai Girls. See is a great writer. I do not want her books to end either.
I have not read any of her mysteries. She also has a memoir On Gold Mountain. I plan on reading all her books.
Old 05-27-2010, 08:48 PM
Veteran member

I've read both Snow flower and Shanghai Girls and loved them both. I'll look for Dragon Bones. So interesting to see a blond Chinese woman. I'll have to read her memoir too.

Also: Wheeling, WV * Youngstown, OH* Niles, OH * Oshkosh, WI * Ft. Worth, TX * Da Bronx * Marathon, NY * Bricktown, NJ * Newark, DE * San Antonio, TX * Washington, DC * Tacoma, WA
Old 06-30-2010, 12:36 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by oatmealgirls View Post
Judy, glad to hear you loved "Snow Flow and the Secret Fan" too! And, yes!!, let's compare notes on "Dragon Bones." Dianne
Oatmeal, I just finished Dragon Bones. I loved learning about the inundation that would be caused the the building of the 3 Gorges Dam in China, and the scramble to save the archaeological artifacts. But, imho, it was no Snow Flower.

I was disappointed that I didn't connect with the characters, but this could be due to the book having so many references to the previous novels that I hadn't yet read. Dragon Bones was part of a series. Maybe If I had read the previous novels I would have connected with the characters. If I had started at #1, perhaps I would have liked these people better, but I doubt it. (At the climax there was a chance of both the wife and husband dying, and I found myself thinking, "Who cares?") I thought a few times about not finishing the book, but I did want to learn more about the dam-building and its effects on the people of China. That part was fascinating! Overall, I'm glad I got the book from the library and didn't buy it.

It might not be fair, but the other library book is keeping me awake at nights. I'm reading Full Dark House by Christopher Fowler. I love the characters in this book. I'll report back when I'm finished with it.
Bossier City, Louisiana
Salt Lake City & Ogden, Utah
The Villages, Florida
Old 06-30-2010, 04:01 PM
Platinum member

I've read Shanghai Girls . Loved it, but wanted it to go on and not end. Now I have ordered Snow Flower and the Secret Fan.
Tampa, FL
Old 07-27-2010, 10:35 AM

I read Snow Flower a couple of years ago and just finished Shanghai Girls. I am not a person who cries easily but I must admit I shed a couple at the end of Snow Flower...LOVED that book. Shanghai Girls was ok for me but not in the class of Snow Flower.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.