No Easy Day

Closed Thread
Old 09-14-2012, 04:24 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl
Default No Easy Day

The new book about the killing of Bin Laden .

Has anyone read it?

What did you think?

Last edited by graciegirl; 09-14-2012 at 06:41 AM.
Old 09-14-2012, 08:04 AM
Default No Easy Day

I have not read the book, however the 60 Minutes piece with the author, who is a former Navy Seal, and who particiapted in the raid, made it seem like there is a difference of opinion as to what happened with the White House.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:10 AM
Veteran member

Just purchased it for my Kindle. We will be in TV next month and looking forward to getting into the book sitting in my lanai with a nice glass of wine to accompany me

The television interviews with the Navy Seal that was in the raid and wrote the book sparked my interest.
Old 09-14-2012, 09:27 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

What was the controversy exactly from your point of view? I am NOT trying to make this political.

It is going to be the book selection this month for a new book club I am thinking about joining, but I do NOT want to walk into a political controversy.

Perhaps the press secretary for the White House was protecting matters of military procedure that need not be aired? Or was it another issue?

Please do not make this political if you answer. The question was not meant to be. I did not see the interview but heard reactions that the book allowed too much information for our own national protection. Was that the issue?
Old 09-14-2012, 10:56 AM

I read it as soon as it was released. Could not put it down, I finished it in 3 days. I believe that the author wanted to tell exactly what happened, since it is a historical event for us in these times.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:41 PM

I read it and made a point to finish the book on 9/11. I really enjoyed the book and the first hand insight it provided on some of the heroic work the SEALS perform, the work-up to the raid and the raid itself.

I've read a number of books written by former military personnel and I did not find anything in this book that gave away any secrets. It is a book, a story, about one of the most historical events of our country and it's one I recommend reading.

Dan
Natick, MA
Village of Buttonwood 1/12/11
Old 09-14-2012, 06:47 PM
Sage

Personally I have a problem with this Seal spilling his guts. Not appropriate in my opinion. That is a brotherhood (right or wrong) than should be honored and protected.
Don't shoot me - this is just how I feel.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:58 PM

I agree with Natick Dan, it's a good read that focuses on the physical and mental training that Seals go through. The actual raid on Osama bin Laden was a small part of the story.
I doubt any secrets were revealed. In fact, I believe his commanders secretly approved the book, and their noise about it is all smoke and mirrors. The author claims his "buds" supported him on this work. I was very proud of these guys when I finished the book and glad they are willing to do this kind of demanding work.
Old 03-05-2013, 11:59 AM
Default No Easy Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
The new book about the killing of Bin Laden .

Has anyone read it?

What did you think?
Yes, I read it. It was interesting. I don't know if he should have written it. But it was a good read. Better than the movie.
Old 03-05-2013, 07:02 PM
Platinum member

Very good read but I kept feeling like there was more that wasn't being said! Guess I'm just a skeptical old coot by nature!
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.