*The Help
*Super Favorites
Tampa, FL
Old 12-23-2010, 09:05 AM

"The New Yorker Stories" Ann Beattie
"An Object of Beauty" Steve Martin
Old 12-23-2010, 01:37 PM
Sage

I loved the triology starting with "The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo". The books are slow in the beginning, but well worth pursuing.
Old 12-23-2010, 02:03 PM
Sage

I was just up at B&N with my 25% off any one item coupon in hand. Planned to buy either Grisham's "Confession" or sequel to "The Nanny Diaries" which is in paperback. Even with the discount, Grisham would be $15 and Nanny was $15 (yikes, when did paperbooks get so expensive!!!) ..so would have been 11 with discount.

I gave my coupon to someone else and will buy both as ebooks and read them on the iPad.

I guess I'm so used to $5-$7 paperbacks at Sam's/Costco that I was astounded at how expensive they've gotten in the 'real' store. So, prices will probably push me to ebooks sooner than I expected.

I'm reading 61 hours by Lee Child on Nook for iPad right now. I kinda like the look and feel. Can set my own fonts and color scheme (black letters on a pale yellow background).
Old 12-23-2010, 02:51 PM

That's why book stores are going out of business. I just bought Southern Lights by Danielle Steel at Wallmart for $5.99
Quote:
Originally Posted by villages07 View Post
I was just up at B&N with my 25% off any one item coupon in hand. Planned to buy either Grisham's "Confession" or sequel to "The Nanny Diaries" which is in paperback. Even with the discount, Grisham would be $15 and Nanny was $15 (yikes, when did paperbooks get so expensive!!!) ..so would have been 11 with discount.

I gave my coupon to someone else and will buy both as ebooks and read them on the iPad.

I guess I'm so used to $5-$7 paperbacks at Sam's/Costco that I was astounded at how expensive they've gotten in the 'real' store. So, prices will probably push me to ebooks sooner than I expected.

I'm reading 61 hours by Lee Child on Nook for iPad right now. I kinda like the look and feel. Can set my own fonts and color scheme (black letters on a pale yellow background).
Old 12-24-2010, 03:45 PM
Veteran member

Some of the ebooks are pretty expensive too. I've just been buying used books online, and rarely spend more than $5 to $8 or so, and that includes shipping. I think the advantage with ebooks, is that you will eventually be able to get them from libraries (for free).
Old 12-24-2010, 04:23 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taj44 View Post
Some of the ebooks are pretty expensive too. I've just been buying used books online, and rarely spend more than $5 to $8 or so, and that includes shipping. I think the advantage with ebooks, is that you will eventually be able to get them from libraries (for free).
Go to Philadelphia Free Library http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com...owseeBooks.htm
Live out of PA pay $15 per year. They have loads of e-books that you can download to most e-readers. My Nook is loaded with library e-books.

Villages Library says they are coming, but they don't have them yet.
Tampa, FL
Old 12-24-2010, 04:34 PM

I love reading and I am still reading books while thinking about a Kindle. Usually I read current bestsellers (fiction), however this year I searched out previous bestselling books I missed.
Here are some of my favorites that I've read recently:

Paris Trout - Pete Dexter (great)
The Post Birthday World - Lionel Shriver (fantastic)
We Need to Talk About Kevin - Lionel Shriver (fantastic)
Mrs. Kimble - Jennifer Haigh (great)
Becoming Strangers - Louise Dean (good)
Old 02-08-2011, 08:09 PM
Veteran member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
Go to Philadelphia Free Library http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com...owseeBooks.htm
Live out of PA pay $15 per year. They have loads of e-books that you can download to most e-readers. My Nook is loaded with library e-books.

Villages Library says they are coming, but they don't have them yet.
Thanks for the link. I did go and join the library, and have been happily downloading library ebooks to my Nook.

I think my favorite book recently has been "Unbroken" by Laura Hillenbrand, author of "Seabiscuit". Terrific biography and exciting adventure story set during World War II.
Old 02-09-2011, 10:24 AM

I never thought an old hard-cover only bibliophile like myself would ever resort to an "electronic" book. However, about a month ago I bought the new generation Kindle on the recommendations of a couple of my friends. What have I been missing? This is wonderful. Strongly suggest everyone look into it.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:27 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Yes, I'm a die-hard book lover (you know the old-fashioned books printed on paper?), yet I am reading almost everything now on my Nook and love it.

With Nook, I get Library books for free, and also anyone can get free books from Google Books online.

Right Now I'm reading :

Freedom by Franzen, and
The Art of Racing in The Rain by Stein.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:38 PM
Veteran member

I loved Art of Racing in the Rain.
Old 02-09-2011, 06:57 PM
Sage

Loved The Help, Snow Flower and the Secret Fan and The Last Report on the Miracles at Little No Horse.

I also am a history buff and love classical literature, so I tend to alternate among recent fiction, non-fiction and classics. Most recent classical re-reads-- both among my favorites-- were East of Eden by Steinbeck and Tale of Two Cities by Dickens. Just started reading, Ratification (non-fiction) by Pauline Maier. My book club just read, My First Two Women, an excellent short story by Nadine Gordimar.
Old 02-09-2011, 09:00 PM
Soaring Eagle member
Location: Village of El Cortez. Before: Canada, NY, VA, AL, AK, NV, DE & France, Germany

Yup, I'm a classics fan, too. It figures . . .
Old 02-12-2011, 08:36 PM
Default Nook & Kindle stories - 99 Cents

I have a short story for the Nook and Kindle. This one is humorous...and you can download a free sample before buying. Let me know what you think...you can get it for the Nook at Barnes&Noble online

http://tinyurl.com/LasVegasSeagull

or for kindle, apple devices: https://www.smashwords.com/books/view/15195

Would love feedback....
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.