Nook $99 for one day 4/13

» Site Navigation
Home Page The Villages Maps The Villages Activities The Villages Clubs The Villages Book Healthcare Rentals Real Estate Section Classified Section The Villages Directory Home Improvement Site Guidelines Advertising Info Register Now Video Tutorials Frequently Asked Questions
» Newsletter Signup
» Premium Tower
» Advertisements
» Trending News
» Tower Sponsors




















» Premium Sponsors
» Banner Sponsors
» Advertisements
Closed Thread
Thread Tools
  #1  
Old 04-13-2011, 10:39 AM
Avista's Avatar
Avista Avista is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,786
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Nook $99 for one day 4/13

http://www.woot.com/

This looks like a good deal
__________________
Chicago, Cary, and Champaign, IL
Winchester, IN
Lancaster, OH
Tampa, FL
  #2  
Old 04-13-2011, 11:30 AM
KayakerNC's Avatar
KayakerNC KayakerNC is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,882
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista View Post
http://www.woot.com/

This looks like a good deal
Refurbished. But still a good price.
With Barnes and Noble Inc (BKS) down more than half of what it was a year ago ($9.02 vs $21.99), I have some concern about their ability to continue to support the Nook.
__________________
KayakerNC
Mt Clemens, MI
Newport, NC
Suffering from TV envy
  #3  
Old 04-13-2011, 02:38 PM
jblum315's Avatar
jblum315 jblum315 is offline
Sage
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 3,860
Thanks: 0
Thanked 17 Times in 9 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KayakerNC View Post
Refurbished. But still a good price.
With Barnes and Noble Inc (BKS) down more than half of what it was a year ago ($9.02 vs $21.99), I have some concern about their ability to continue to support the Nook.
That's exactly why I have a Kindle. I don't think Amazon is in any danger of going out of business.
  #4  
Old 04-13-2011, 03:18 PM
tudacee's Avatar
tudacee tudacee is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 165
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

I"d still get the Nook, I can use it to get library ebooks for nothing...and other places as well that use epub format, which you can't do with the kindle.

love my nook, which was refurbished with 1 year guarantee...can't beat it.
  #5  
Old 04-13-2011, 04:31 PM
KayakerNC's Avatar
KayakerNC KayakerNC is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 1,882
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudacee View Post
I"d still get the Nook, I can use it to get library ebooks for nothing...and other places as well that use epub format, which you can't do with the kindle.

love my nook, which was refurbished with 1 year guarantee...can't beat it.
Getting books from the library idea is great, but not without problems. To get the book you have to go to the library's website and download it. There is a set amount of time that you have to read it (14 days usually). The library may only have a couple copies of any book that you might actually want and you have to reserve a hold on the book (just like a regular book) and wait. Many of the most popular books will have wait lists of up to 100 people. You may get frustrated waiting and end up buying the book outright.
Some libraries, mine included, are not part of the OverDrive system. Given the present economy, they don't have the needed funds.
Any non-DRM'd epub book can be easily converted by Calibre to be read on a Kindle.
__________________
KayakerNC
Mt Clemens, MI
Newport, NC
Suffering from TV envy
  #6  
Old 04-13-2011, 06:44 PM
Hal :-) Hal :-) is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Jul 2010
Posts: 170
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Be careful. This is a 1st gen Nook. Not the Nook Color. Technology moves fast these days. Even the Nook Color is near obsolescence, although it has been hacked for Android Honeycomb. Still, I suspect that's a limited experience since it would be underpowered.
  #7  
Old 04-13-2011, 10:18 PM
tudacee's Avatar
tudacee tudacee is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2007
Posts: 165
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

For $15 / year, I joined the Philadelphia Free Library, and really haven't had problems with getting books I want to read. I just put myself on the list for as many books I'm interested in, and usually when I finish one, another one comes up. (waiting list ranges from 5 to 15). I have 21 days to read it on the Nook, which so far, hasn't been a problem at all (I usually devour the books, lol).

But, it doesn't mean I don't use B&N, too. My family knows to give me gift cards there.

Kindle or Nook, still fun, isn't it? Same with PC vs Mac (yep, I'm a Mac person, too)
  #8  
Old 04-14-2011, 07:14 AM
Avista's Avatar
Avista Avista is offline
Platinum member
Join Date: Jul 2007
Posts: 1,786
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by tudacee View Post
For $15 / year, I joined the Philadelphia Free Library, and really haven't had problems with getting books I want to read. I just put myself on the list for as many books I'm interested in, and usually when I finish one, another one comes up. (waiting list ranges from 5 to 15). I have 21 days to read it on the Nook, which so far, hasn't been a problem at all (I usually devour the books, lol).

But, it doesn't mean I don't use B&N, too. My family knows to give me gift cards there.

Kindle or Nook, still fun, isn't it? Same with PC vs Mac (yep, I'm a Mac person, too)
I agree with you. Have enjoyed my library books and like you also get the free books and buy others.

Whether a Nook, Kindle or iPad (Where you can download both Nook, Kindle and iBooks to read), you will love the ereading expeience. I especially like being able to change the font and with the iPad the background color. I like the sepia background.
__________________
Chicago, Cary, and Champaign, IL
Winchester, IN
Lancaster, OH
Tampa, FL
  #9  
Old 04-14-2011, 09:27 AM
JenAjd JenAjd is offline
Veteran member
Join Date: Sep 2010
Posts: 613
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Finally bit the bullet and purchased my Kindle last night from Amazon...no s/h or tax so should be "good to go" in a few days!!! I'm not technology proficient so hopefully it won't be hard to get used to. I think this will be a good thing to have for traveling since I love to read in the car or plane. Won't have to carry heavy books in the tote anymore etc. Whoo Hoo!!
I'm sure I may also read regular books now and then but with the downsizing here..purchasing them probably won't happen as often AND I'll be anxious to use the new library too.
  #10  
Old 04-14-2011, 10:45 AM
Ceafolks's Avatar
Ceafolks Ceafolks is offline
Senior Member
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Cape Cod now Silver Lake
Posts: 134
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Nook

Bought the Nook (refurbished) from woot $104 with fed Ex shipping. It will take about a week to get here.
__________________
Growing old is mandatory; growing up is optional.
Closed Thread

Thread Tools

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:46 AM.