Paterno

Closed Thread
Old 02-10-2013, 10:23 AM
Sage
Default Paterno

I just finished reading Paterno by Joe Posnanski about the life of Joe Paterno and the Penn State scandal.

Several things I found interesting:
1. Paterno didn't like Sandusky but respected him as a good coach. He didn't socalize or know anything about his personal life. They really didn't want to be in each others comapny more than what was required by their jobs. They really didn't like each other.
2. Paterno did report what he knew to his superiors and assumed they would take care of it. McQueary did not fully explain to Paterno what he saw, (more like what he heard and it was very vague).
3. Paterno wanted to keep his job. He was so invovled in doing that, to the exclusion of shutting out things he thought wouldn't affect him. He was obessed with keeping his job and could not envision a life without getting up and doing a hundred things a day. He was a workaholic.
4. Sandusky fooled all of the so called experts at The Mile High Foundation so why wouldn't someone who was a coach know what he was doing.
5. Paterno donated millions to Penn State as he considered himself an educator who prided himself on having a high graduation rate of football players. He always thought his players had a life beyond football and demanded their live their life to their potention as a student.
6. Last but not least, after the scandal broke, Joe admitted "he should have done more" to correct this situation with Sandusky. He was really a square who didn't fully realize or understand the import of Sandusky's crimes.

I could argue there was enough blame to go around and not to just blame him. Joe should have known. Joe asked the students who gathered around his house to support him to say a prayer for all the victems. This book does not condone his actions but tries to understand them for Joe's perspective.

He tied to live an honorable life and he did except he should have followed up. IMHO I recommend this book as it is written by Joe Posnanski who was an award winning sports writer.

Joe Paterno's family issues report challenging FBI findings - NYPOST.com

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).

Last edited by 2BNTV; 02-10-2013 at 11:33 AM.
Old 02-10-2013, 01:33 PM

the family just needs to let it go and concentrate on the victims. Let the scab heal.
Old 02-10-2013, 02:32 PM
Sage
Thanked 3,319 Times in 2,056 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2BNTV View Post
I just finished reading Paterno by Joe Posnanski about the life of Joe Paterno and the Penn State scandal.

Several things I found interesting:
1. Paterno didn't like Sandusky but respected him as a good coach. He didn't socalize or know anything about his personal life. They really didn't want to be in each others comapny more than what was required by their jobs. They really didn't like each other.
2. Paterno did report what he knew to his superiors and assumed they would take care of it. McQueary did not fully explain to Paterno what he saw, (more like what he heard and it was very vague).
3. Paterno wanted to keep his job. He was so invovled in doing that, to the exclusion of shutting out things he thought wouldn't affect him. He was obessed with keeping his job and could not envision a life without getting up and doing a hundred things a day. He was a workaholic.
4. Sandusky fooled all of the so called experts at The Mile High Foundation so why wouldn't someone who was a coach know what he was doing.
5. Paterno donated millions to Penn State as he considered himself an educator who prided himself on having a high graduation rate of football players. He always thought his players had a life beyond football and demanded their live their life to their potention as a student.
6. Last but not least, after the scandal broke, Joe admitted "he should have done more" to correct this situation with Sandusky. He was really a square who didn't fully realize or understand the import of Sandusky's crimes.

I could argue there was enough blame to go around and not to just blame him. Joe should have known. Joe asked the students who gathered around his house to support him to say a prayer for all the victems. This book does not condone his actions but tries to understand them for Joe's perspective.

He tied to live an honorable life and he did except he should have followed up. IMHO I recommend this book as it is written by Joe Posnanski who was an award winning sports writer.

Joe Paterno's family issues report challenging FBI findings - NYPOST.com
Thanks for the book review, 2BNTV. I do feel sorry for the innocent people who are drug into the politics when an institution's protectors do everything in their power to cover up the misdeeds of people connected to that institution in some way. There are millions of Catholics, for instance, who had nothing to do with the misdeeds of pedophile priests but all Catholics still get tarnished by the actions of a few. And then the lawyers and some of the media have vested interests in painting the picture with as broad a paintbrush as possible for usually very selfish reasons of bigger settlements for lawyers and their clients and TV ratings.

Been looking a little bit into Increase and Cotton Mather and the Salem witch trials. Seems this same kind of thing was going on with Cotton Mather using the witchcraft trials to further his personal goals of fame and saving souls. He needed one to do the other it seems and did not seem to care that much about whom he hurt in the pursuit of soul saving. Cotton Mather was a very interesting man very scientific minded in some ways but extremely superstitious in others. http://www.thesalemwitchtrials.org/
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.