Pillars of the Earth.

Closed Thread
Old 07-31-2010, 07:45 AM
Taltarzac
Default Pillars of the Earth.

Anyone watching Starz 8 episode Pillars of the Earth? Is the book different from the series? The series seems to have a lot of blood, sweat and tears with a lot of sex and violence thrown in.

I remember trying to read the book about a decade ago but getting rather bored by it.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:02 AM
Default Pillars of the Earth

I too read the book about ten years ago and thought it was terrific. I even recall saying that they should make a mini-series of this story. My memory has faded a bit, but the series seems to be sticking to the book. Sex and violence in the dark ages; who knew? Anyway, I suspect that if you did not like the book, you will not like the series. The book, as is usually the case, is much richer because you get to read what the characters are thinking. That just doesn't translate as well when a story is converted to motion picture.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:07 AM
Taltarzac
Default I have the book Pillars of the Earth on order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John View Post
I too read the book about ten years ago and thought it was terrific. I even recall saying that they should make a mini-series of this story. My memory has faded a bit, but the series seems to be sticking to the book. Sex and violence in the dark ages; who knew? Anyway, I suspect that if you did not like the book, you will not like the series. The book, as is usually the case, is much richer because you get to read what the characters are thinking. That just doesn't translate as well when a story is converted to motion picture.
I will probably end up seeing the Starz series before actually reading the 1000 page book though.
Old 07-31-2010, 09:46 AM

Loved the book. I listened to it on cd's
Old 07-31-2010, 11:05 AM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Pillars of the earth is one of my favorite books. I do remember some love scenes and there was violence as it was a violent time. I thought it was a great read. Sally
Old 07-31-2010, 06:59 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,354 Times in 2,392 Posts

Now reading the sequel "World without end". Enjoyed the first, could not put it down. This one the same.
I understand there will be a DVD of the series.
Old 07-31-2010, 08:59 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac View Post
Anyone watching Starz 8 episode Pillars of the Earth? Is the book different from the series? The series seems to have a lot of blood, sweat and tears with a lot of sex and violence thrown in.

I remember trying to read the book about a decade ago but getting rather bored by it.
Talt,
You love books and movies and I enjoy reading your 'reviews'. But have you ever listened to a book on cd? As a 1000 page tome, Pillars would have turned me off, but I enjoy audio books and Ken Follet's work, so I took a chance on it - all 20some cds.
It was excellent. I thought the reader added a great deal to the story and it was over well before I wanted it to be. When the sequel, 'World Without End' was published, my wife and I laughed that it was 35 cd's!! We started in New York, took intermission in TV then got to cd 31 when we got back home one night at 10 pm. We left everything in the car, sat by the stereo and listened to the last 4 cd's.
We only hope Follet lives long enough to write a trequel.
And if you're not convinced about audio books, try Ed Herman reading Scott Turow's "Ordinary Heroes". Then Turow's 'Presumed Innocent', followed immediately by the new sequel, 'Innocent'.......
Old 07-31-2010, 10:20 PM
Gold member
Default Pillars of The Earth and World Without End

I thoroughly enjoyed both books and have recommended both to others. I have a sense that many men enjoy them and some of the women could not really get into the books.

I started reading these type of historical novels and have stayed with this genre for years. My first Wilbur Smith novel was River God which I thoroughly enjoyed. There were a few Egyptian series books later on that were not as good IMO. I found that Smith's novels about Africa have been outstanding and highly recommend them if you are looking for some epic adventure books written by someone who really knows a great deal about Africa.Just a word of advice. While each book can stand on it's own, if you are interested in his novels, I suggest visiting: http://www.wilbursmithbooks.com/nove...liography.html

Before you begin to determine if the book you are interested in is part of a series. It helps to follow the sequence as many of his characters appear in many books. The Courtney Family books are the outstanding in my opinion. They begin in the 1800's and go through the end of apartheid in S. Africa.

With the exception of his latest book, I believe you will find the rest in paperback and Amazon has been able to supply me with any book I could not find at All Booked Up in TV.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:00 AM
Veteran member

I cud not put either of the books down. Needless to say, they tuk a long time to read, but they r classics. Have not seen the series on tv yet, but am anxious to start watching it. I suspect the series will not be nearly as gud as the book.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:43 AM
Taltarzac
Default Thanks for all the responses.

I will look into the CDs for Pillars of the Earth as well as its sequel. And, the Wilbur Smith books might be of interest.

Wish there we more than just eight episodes in Starz series Pillars of the Earth. They have been quite enjoyable so far.
Old 08-01-2010, 06:56 AM
Gold member

Loved both books, couldn't put them down ! Got a little weight lifting in too.
Old 08-01-2010, 09:04 AM

Enjoyed the second book even more. But they were definitely long! Waiting for the sequel on Netflix!

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.