Price of e-books

Closed Thread
Old 07-02-2013, 01:41 PM
Sage
Default Price of e-books

Has anyone noticed that the average price of books for Kindle, Nook, etc., that used to be around $9 is now around $12? The price of paper books has not gone up that much.
Ecclesiasites 3:12
Old 07-02-2013, 02:19 PM
Platinum member
Send a message via Skype™ to SALYBOW

Yes I have. It has sent me to the lower price books on Nook. I must saythat I have enjoyed many of them. When you go on shop (on Nook) type in $2.99 or lower, some are actually free. This will bring up a bunch of cheaper books by authors who want to be discovered. Most of the ones I have purchased I have enjoyed. Good Luck.

When God made me he said Ta Da!
Old 07-02-2013, 02:44 PM
Gold member

FYI - according to my wife they also have "Free Fridays."
At least on the nook.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:51 PM
Platinum member

Kindle has tons of free books as well. Have read a bunch that way.
Old 07-02-2013, 02:55 PM

I get a lot of free books for Kindle also, see if this link works.
Free Kindle Books
Old 07-02-2013, 04:33 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum315 View Post
Has anyone noticed that the average price of books for Kindle, Nook, etc., that used to be around $9 is now around $12? The price of paper books has not gone up that much.
You may want to say "Thanks" (or something) to Apple for their price fixing collusion with some publishers. They are currently in court for their efforts.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 07-02-2013, 06:01 PM
Veteran member

I think it is ridiculous how much they charge for kindle ebooks.

There are no printing costs, paper costs, delivery costs, etc. consequently ebooks should be less than 1/2 the price of paperback books and less than 1/4 the price of hard cover books.

What a rip-off.

That said, I do love my kindle. I especially like how you can change the print size plus my kindle cover has a l.e.d reading light that is just awesome for pm reading. I also like it when you find an author you like, you can look for and down load other books they have written without going to a book store or the library.
Old 07-02-2013, 06:39 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JP View Post
I think it is ridiculous how much they charge for kindle ebooks.
There are no printing costs, paper costs, delivery costs, etc. consequently ebooks should be less than 1/2 the price of paperback books and less than 1/4 the price of hard cover books.
What a rip-off.
Not just Kindle.
You may notice below the book price where it says; "This price was set by the publisher".
Once again, Thanks Apple, and your price fixing buddies.
Suffering from TV envy
Old 07-02-2013, 07:40 PM
Eternal Member

Try this site. I get an email everyday with free or cheap books. My Kindle runneth over!!

BookBub: Free and Bargain Kindle Books, Nook Books, and more

Z

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:17 PM
Veteran member

Thanks for the info. Great site.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:43 PM
Platinum member

I can understand why even on Kindle book prices are set. The writers of the books do have to be paid for their work.
Old 07-02-2013, 08:52 PM
Gold member

I get my downloadable e-books through the Sumter County Library. Lots of selection and, supposedly, much more to come. The downside is that you can only have the books for two weeks. My wife and I have been reading up a storm. We each have a library card and our tastes are the same. We can each have four books out at a time. You return them when you've finished them or they just go away at two weeks. It's easy to put them on hold. Everything is done on-line.

Xavier
Old 07-03-2013, 12:24 AM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xavier View Post
I get my downloadable e-books through the Sumter County Library. Lots of selection and, supposedly, much more to come. The downside is that you can only have the books for two weeks. My wife and I have been reading up a storm. We each have a library card and our tastes are the same. We can each have four books out at a time. You return them when you've finished them or they just go away at two weeks. It's easy to put them on hold. Everything is done on-line.

Xavier
Those of you who are snowbirds or flakes or still have a library card from your place of origin as ebooks from libraries are borrowed over the internet you can be anywhere and borrow them and some metro libraries have a larger selection. Our king co library system here in WA lets you borrow for 28 days.
Hawaii was the same.

Another listing of free books on Kindle
Kindle buffet-----http://www.weberbooks.com/kindle/

Different free books with new ones every day. Some are only free for a day or two. Quite often they are offered as a promotion to get you reading an author so you will buy more but also when an author is on a book tour sometimes. But I got The Da Vinci Code for free it was only available for a couple of days but I was lucky and I got it. Some authors have retained the electronic rites to their books and give them to libraries so if you find your library has a lot of one author that may be why.

If you own a book you can lend it to another kindle owner (or anyone who has downloaded a free kindle reading ap) for 14 days but only that long kind of a bummer.
Old 07-03-2013, 06:13 AM
Veteran member

I would think supply and demand has much to do with the rising prices. More and more people are buying ebooks while traditional bookstores are losing customers at a fast pace. Prices go where the buyers are.
Old 07-03-2013, 04:00 PM
Platinum member
Location: Brooklyn, Queens, Nassau County, Evansville IN, Boca Raton, Toledo OH, Pennecamp

I too am disappointed that prices went from $9.99 to $12.99, but think it has more to do with the huge increase in demand for ebooks than the actual material costs of a book. I love my kindle and will continue to buy books on it. If I was to get a print edition of a best seller, it would cost me about $25, so I am still saving a lot of money by buying the ebook, even without factoring in gas and time and sales tax.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.