Print from Kindle or Nook?

Closed Thread
Old 02-05-2011, 06:45 PM
Platinum member
Default Print from Kindle or Nook?

I like to tear out pages from decorating magazines. Can you print a page from Kindle or Nook?
Old 02-06-2011, 09:52 AM

I just got a new Kindle 3 weeks ago and really like it. I'm by no means an expert but I don't believe either of those e-readers are designed to print from your computer. If you find out otherwise, please post it so we'll all know.

Good luck and enjoy your device, if you have it already.
Old 02-06-2011, 10:50 AM
Platinum member

I haven't bought one yet. Still looking into one.
Old 02-06-2011, 01:36 PM
Gold member

I have a kindle and love it! I have not tried to print anything out, but I know you can display your books on your computer and read them off the computer. Once they are visible on the puter, I think you could print what is on the screen. Does that make sense?
Old 02-06-2011, 02:48 PM
Platinum member

Quote:
Originally Posted by starflyte1 View Post
I like to tear out pages from decorating magazines. Can you print a page from Kindle or Nook?
I have a Nook and here is what Iwould do. Put your pages in a PDF file. It is easy to load a PDF file to a Nook.
Tampa, FL
Old 02-06-2011, 03:06 PM
Veteran member
Default Print from Kindle

I don't believe you can do it. I just tried for curiosity. I opened a Kindle book on my PC. Couldn't cut and paste to a PDF document or even to a Word document, leads me to think that Kindle content is somehow protected so you can't copy it.
Old 02-06-2011, 04:08 PM
Veteran member

You can print a page from a Nook book using Windows 7 but it's a little clunky. You open the book on your computer using Nook for PC (free download from Barnes & Noble). Nook for PC syncs everything that is on your Nook. Open the book and use the Windows 7 Snipping Tool to highlight the area you want to print. Copy the snip to a document (Word or Notepad) and print it out from there.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 02-07-2011, 02:52 PM
Gold member
Location: Bought Tamarind Grove, Mercer Island Wa, previously NH,FLA,Hi,CT,CA,GA, Hubby from Hawaii
Default The books are copyright protected no copies allowed

Quote:
Originally Posted by jblum8156 View Post
I don't believe you can do it. I just tried for curiosity. I opened a Kindle book on my PC. Couldn't cut and paste to a PDF document or even to a Word document, leads me to think that Kindle content is somehow protected so you can't copy it.
If I understand it correctly. I just went through my orientation notes from my temp job at Amazon. The material loaded from non public domains (some books are now in the public domain and not held under strict copyright rules) and this would include magazines are covered under copyright law and can not be legally copied therefore the Kindle and other readers are not designed to allow this; the nook has a work around but as noted above not exactly easy. If the origin of the item was a PDF in the first place (not kindle downloads) you may be able to move it to your computer. That said copying copyrighted material is against the law.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:12 PM
Veteran member

I am not a lawyer. However, it seems to me that if you purchase or obtain media legally, you should be able to copy small portions like a page or two if it is for personal use without fear of the copyright police knocking on your door. There is a doctrine in copyright law called "fair use" which provides some (not much) flexibility on what you can do with your property. I tried to read up on it on the internet and got a headache.
Netherlands, California, Quebec, California, Texas, Turkey, Minnesota, Panama Canal, California, Illinois, Turkey, Maryland, Germany, Florida, New Mexico, The Village of Amelia and now The Village of Hacienda East.
Old 02-07-2011, 05:36 PM
Administrator

You can read about fair use at the Library of Congress web site.

Click here for Library of Congress
By the way, I wanted to post a cartoon here once. It was poking fun at
English majors, a particular favorite of mine. I dropped the cartoonist an email
got a quick yes and a thanks for asking.
Now, enough of the hijacking. Back to Kindle printing.
Old 02-07-2011, 11:27 PM
Sage

Here's an article about how to print from a Kindle:

http://www.ehow.com/how_7175383_print-kindle-files.html

Other ways I can think of:
  • Use a program such as Snagit to capture a range of text in a PDF file, copy the text into a word processor to print.
  • Use a program such as PDF Converter to convert the PDF file to a Word doc and print.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.