Movie or book first?

View Poll Results: Which do people prefer. Seeing the movie first or readding the book?
Reading the book 14 73.68%
Seeing the movie 2 10.53%
Doesn't matter 1 5.26%
Depends on the book/movie 2 10.53%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 11-10-2007, 02:39 PM
Taltarzac
Default Movie or book first?

Which do people like more? Seeing the movie first and then reading the book or vice versa?

Think how many parts of the Bible have been made into movies? That's probably the most filmed book in the Western Hemisphere.

Other book/movie combinations to recall and/or look forward to:

One Flew Over The Cuckoo's Nest
MASH
Gone with the Wind
The Wizard of Oz
Ben-Hur
Catch 22
Lawrence of Arabia
Doctor Zhivago
War and Peace
Mystic River
No Country for Old Men
Reservation Road
The Godfather
Band of Brothers

What other movie/book combinations can people recall? I remember that at the Palm Harbor Library there was a woman volunteer whose son wrote or had something to do with the Road to Perdition book which was made into a movie with Tom Hanks.

Old 11-10-2007, 06:50 PM
Dancing Thyme
Default Re: Movie or book first?

Interesting poll. I started to say reading the book first but then I thought there are times when I see a movie and think it would be so much more interesting reading the book because who knows what lands up on the floor of the editing room. I know this happens a lot that many times the actors are very upset because the end result isn't what they expected. And then again, sometimes I read I book and am so disappointed when I see the movie. Anyway, I'm confused already (that's not new.) :dontknow:

That's just my opinion.

Bronx ♫ Los Angeles ♫ Hadley, Sept. 08 and then the beautiful village of Mallory Square 2014

A true friend is someone who thinks that you are a good egg even though he knows that you are slightly cracked."

(For those who know me) I consider ON TIME to be when I get there.....
Old 11-11-2007, 03:24 AM
Eternal Member

I have had times when I saw the movie and then read the book and times when I have read the book and then seen the movie. There are also times when I have seen the movie and read the book and then reordered the movie and then the movie made sense.

There is no way that any movie can outdo the book. A movie does not have the time to get the in-depth look and thinking that the characters do in a book. I have yet to see a movie that does the book justice. Close but no cigar.

That is just my opinion and I stick to it.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 11-11-2007, 03:52 AM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Always try to read the book first and see if the movie lives up to my imagination. Rarely does, but that's okay, I usually still enjoy the movie.

And how could you possibly forget Harry Potter? HUMPH
The Color Purple
Flight of Eagles
The Eagle has Landed
The Bone Collector
at least one James Patterson book, Kiss All the Girls (?)
I Robot (book great, movie stunk)

And I'm sure I'll think of several more before I go to sleep.

Then there's the movies that have caused books to be written such as the Star Trek and Star Wars series.

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-11-2007, 05:28 PM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwitch
Always try to read the book first and see if the movie lives up to my imagination. Rarely does, but that's okay, I usually still enjoy the movie.

And how could you possibly forget Harry Potter? HUMPH
The Color Purple
Flight of Eagles
The Eagle has Landed
The Bone Collector
at least one James Patterson book, Kiss All the Girls (?)
I Robot (book great, movie stunk)

And I'm sure I'll think of several more before I go to sleep.

Then there's the movies that have caused books to be written such as the Star Trek and Star Wars series.
I was hoping that someone would mention the Harry Potter books/movies. Sure do like both the HP books as well as the movies.

And you are right that sometimes the movie inspires a book to follow.
Old 11-11-2007, 06:42 PM
Sage
Send a message via Yahoo to redwitch

Oops, forgot my favorite author -- Heinlein's Starship Troopers. It really did amaze me that they basically turned a teen sci fi book into such a horrid adult movie. Fortunately, they didn't totally destroy The Puppet Masters.

And, of course, Hebert's Dune series.

Asimov's short stories Bicentennial Man and Nightfall.

Stephen King's books.

Ayn Rand's The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

Farewell to Arms; Grapes of Wrath; The Red Pony and so on for Messrs. Hemingway and Steinbeck.

Dean Martin in the Matt Helm series.

The James Bond movies.

Okay, I quit -- at least for now. There are more that keep coming into my head but someone else should have a chance to name more. Right?

BTW -- Do you get the feeling I like sci fi and gore? lol

"There are only two ways to live your life: One is as though nothing is a miracle; the other is as though everything is a miracle." Albert Einstein
Old 11-23-2007, 10:03 PM
Taltarzac

Reading the book A Beautiful Mind sure tarnished my images from the movie of the same name when I read the book second.

Russell Crowe and Denzel Washington are very good in American Gangster even if Washington looks very little like the real life drug lord Frank Lucas. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Frank_L...28drug_lord%29
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.