retirement book

Closed Thread
Old 10-21-2010, 09:57 PM
Gold member
Default retirement book

Just started reading "How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free" by Ernie Zelinski. So far, I'm loving it.

I think it's going to give me a little more focus and get me going in the direction I want. Some of us need that extra kick! Lots about individual differences and goals.

Zelinski has also written several other retirement books, none of which I've read. Lots of thought-provoking quotes scattered thru this one, at least at a quick glance.

Anyone else read this one and have any comments?
Old 10-24-2010, 08:53 AM
Gold member

bump

I'm a little further into it and am still getting a lot out of it. I want to have fun and be free to travel, try new things, make new friends and have time to see old ones, but think I also need to find my "purpose" in retirement, along with having fun. This book is helping - I have quite a list already on the back page.

I think those who have a passion, such as music, art, an engrossing hobby, etc. are the lucky ones when they retire, as they have a built-in purpose. The rest of us, or those who want to, need to figure out their passion(s).

Anyone else?
Old 10-24-2010, 10:15 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Hey OG,

I am tracking down the book, even as we speak.... er.... type.

I will read it with you.

I know what you mean.

Boomer
Old 10-24-2010, 03:06 PM
Gold member

Thanks, Boomer - nice to know I'm not alone. One good thing for those of us who have opted to be snowbirds, at least to start, is that there are different options for activities, etc. in both TV and one's other location.

For instance, I love history and sightseeing, but think it will be easier to be (perhaps) a docent at the Statehouse in Columbus in the summer and maybe follow some other interests in TV in the winter (maybe yet to be discovered).

Of course, as a FROG in TV I could also divide my activities seasonally - appears I have more homework to do!

One of the points this book makes is that it's not just financial planning we need to do for retirement.
Old 10-24-2010, 04:02 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Hi Ohiogirl,

When I looked up the book this morning, I saw a picture of the cover and thought it looked familiar so I checked my bookshelves and there it was. My copy has a publication date of 2004, but the pub date shown online was 2009 and the publisher was different so Zelinski must have done an updated version.

I guess I bought this book before I retired but did not get around to reading it, probably because I was busy working, and when I read about retirement stuff, it was always about the financial part of it. (In fact I saw that the continuation of the title says, "Retirement wisdom that you won't get from your financial advisor.")

Anyway, I took it with me to look through in the car when we went out and about today. (Mr. Boomer was driving so it was OK.)

So far I have read all the little quotes printed in those little boxes that are scattered throughout the pages. And I have also read all the cartoons. I really liked the quotes and cartoons and soon I will start reading the book.

Boomer
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.