The Shack

Closed Thread
Old 09-19-2009, 11:49 PM
Eternal Member
Question The Shack

Anyone read "The Shack" by William P. Young?

I'd love to read any comments, positive or not. I've still got about 40 pages to go, and I've not yet decided what I think of it. At this stage of my life, I have a ton of doubts and questions about the spiritual side and they become more pressing with each day. I was impressed that this book does address (not necessarily answer) several questions/doubts/conundrums I've had and some I hadn't realized I had. Hopefully I'll still be assessing the book for a little while after I finish it.

`
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 09-20-2009, 10:23 AM

Muncle,
I read The Shack and really enjoyed the book. I usually do not "go" for these type of books, but it was recommended by a good friend. The story really made me think and there were numerous thought provoking messages. While not getting into a religious conversation I believe this book has helped me be better at praying. I liked that God, Jesus and The Holy Spirit were "so real" if you know what I mean.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:27 PM
Default The Shack

I read The Shack a few months ago, and I have to say, I felt so comforted and so at peace when I finished. It's a book I won't part with and plan to read again. Yes, there are lots of things to think about with this book.
Old 09-21-2009, 08:46 PM
Default The Shack

I read The Shack a few months back. It made me realize even more that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit love us so much and are so involved in our lives. There is a website...www.theshackbook.com You can see what other people are saying about the book.
Old 09-22-2009, 05:25 PM

I read the Shack and then listen to it again on audio six months later. . It gave me so much to think about. It helped me to rethink my "thinking" about formalized religion. I'm not saying that a particular faith is not my path, but that I am more open to other ways of thinking about God.
Old 09-22-2009, 06:36 PM
Default The Shack

Its about relationship. Comforting, stretching us outta the box.
Got a CD with the author telling his life story.......even better than the book.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:54 PM
Veteran member

It is a wonderful book that makes you rethink your relationship God and question what role organized religion should play. I've taken the time to read it three times and have sent four copies to friends
Old 09-28-2009, 12:07 PM
Exclamation Sounds like a head injury induced experience...

I saw a program on the Discovery Channel a while back that talked about how many people claim to have supernatural experiences after they have suffered a head injury.
I have read the book, and it sounds suspiciously like that is the case here. I know it is a fictional book, and should be taken as such. How anyone can "find inspiration" in it is a mystery to me.
I read it because a friend recommened it, and I am not opposed to reading something that assumes "facts" that I don't believe in. I don't think I would learn much if I was that narrow minded. Can the "believers" say the same thing?
The notion of God, Jesus, and the Holy Spirit "materializing", is ludicrous. Personally, I think their existence in the first place is ludicrous.
For a counter-point to this book, read: god is not Great, by Christopher Hitchens.

Last edited by royr; 09-28-2009 at 01:46 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:10 PM

I found the book very thought provoking. The concept that had the most affect on me was the part about judgement. Like so much in our lives, we have preconceived notions, attitudes and religious training that closes our minds. We all have our thoughts as to what God should or should not be. This book gave you a different perspective by making the three aspects into forms we can relate to and converse with. I guess most of us have "gardens that are a mess" - but as the book shows us - still beautiful to behold.
Old 09-28-2009, 02:57 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Hey Munc,

When I saw your post asking about this book, I walked over to my bookshelf where I had put it, after having bought it when it first got its publicity. But then, I forgot about it and did not read it. (So many books, you know.)

So now, because I saw your post and was reminded that I have a copy, I have started it. But I am not too far in yet. In fact, Mack just went to the mailbox. So you know I am really just at the beginning.

This looks to me like it is one of those books that would be good to discuss with others who might be interested and open to a little thoughtful talk.

Anyway, I will keep reading and see what I think about it.

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-28-2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old 09-28-2009, 07:44 PM
Eternal Member

Boomer,
Admittedly, I was more than a little maudlin when I started the book, and did most of my reading very, very late at night, but I'm awfully glad I stocked up on Kleenex first. The nice thing about faith is that is totally in the mind, heart, and soul of the believer. It does not demand or require proof. That's why it's called faith. Some like a previous poster take delight in denigrating the beliefs of others because they do not meet some criteria they've established. It's easy to do. In fact, it is much easier to condemn than to understand.

I found myself going into "The Shack" with many unknowns. Didn't know what I believe, don't really know what I want to believe. Still don't. I don't think of "The Shack" as the answer, but just another tool to find the right questions. Of course, I'm screwed up in a lot of other ways, too.

Everybody's favorite Muncle

`
Old 09-28-2009, 08:41 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Oh Munc, I will tell you the reason that I shelved the book without reading it after I bought it so long ago. As I looked at it, I thought I might have to read through some violent scenes about the daughter. So I put it away. But I will go ahead with it now and if I come to brutal scenes, I will have to skim that part.

Sad stuff I can read, although I do cry, but that's OK. In fact, sometimes that can be good. But violent description in books or violent movies are not something I do. But I bet if violent description is in this book, it is not much, so I will get past it.

And I saw the previous poster, too. Oh well. And I agree with your thoughts on that.

So I will read "The Shack" even though I will have to close my eyes while I read about any violence that might be in there.

Did you ever watch "Joan of Arcadia"? I absolutely loved that show where God was always showing up as different people in Joan's life and he always had her doing something. In fact, it just occurred to me that might be on television somewhere so maybe I can snare those reruns if I set the DVR. Now, I know that there are those who might think that show is sacrilegious or something. But I do not.

I know that I don't know everything....and I think that's OK. Isn't that how it's supposed to be?

Boomer

Last edited by Boomer; 09-28-2009 at 08:50 PM.
Old 10-22-2009, 03:37 PM
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunflower3630 View Post
I read The Shack a few months ago, and I have to say, I felt so comforted and so at peace when I finished. It's a book I won't part with and plan to read again. Yes, there are lots of things to think about with this book.
Old 10-22-2009, 06:40 PM
Eternal Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joannej View Post
I was searching the web for a quote or two from The Shack that I felt reinforced your view. Too lazy to find them in the book and type them. What jumped out at me were the many, many people shouting heresy, seemingly because something in the book didn't fully agree with one of they're held beliefs. I was only partially shocked to read so many of these "reviewers" state that they'd not read the book nor needed to do so to support these views. And of course the general warning was DO NOT READ THIS BOOK.

I really hate this mentality, whether it be about religion, politics, television shows, sports, or whatever. We all suffer from it at times, normally to lesser degrees. Myself, I detest reality TV, even though I've not watched an entire episode of one since Survivor 1. Fair? I don't care. Some sports fanatics hate soccer and brag about knowing nothing about it or ever watching a game. Again, stupid but who cares. These views affect only one's opinions of inconsequential matters.

But we also move to more serious issues that affect not only our entire existence but directly our relations with others. Politically, how often do we hear people and/or ideas dismissed because them come from bleeding-heart, tax and spend liberals backed by the weak-willed main stream media? Meanwhile, others completely dismiss other views as being proposed by the greedy, selfish tools of industry and radical Jesus freaks, supported by the ("I never watch it or listen to any of them") Faux News and the racist radio talk shows. Personally, I find both views abhorrent and dangerous not only to the individual but to the country.

Okay, off my soapbox. I've preached too often about looking at other viewpoints, whether it be TV newspaper or covenant restrictions. I still sin too much in my condemnation of the POA. But for such a book as The Shack, I encourage anyone to read it if it's your thing. Hopefully, you'll get something from it. If not, sorry, and I sincerely hope it doesn't harm you. But like Joanne, for me it's a keeper.

NIHIL OBSTAT
IMPRIMATUR

`
Old 10-23-2009, 06:18 PM
Default The shack

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunny08 View Post
I read The Shack a few months back. It made me realize even more that God, Jesus and the Holy Spirit love us so much and are so involved in our lives. There is a website...www.theshackbook.com You can see what other people are saying about the book.
I also read the shack. It should be read by everyone. Remember that God, Jesus, and the holy spirit is one... we should live by example and not what we want to do... Allways remember that no mater what God loves us.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.