Story of Edgar Sawtelle - book

Closed Thread
Old 11-06-2008, 07:12 PM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Oohhhh, woe is me. Woe am I? I am afraid that it is time for yet another confession.

I feel like I must tell you that I have not even read one page of Ed yet. That's right. Zero. Zip. Zilch. I am so bad.

I started this thread. I went on and on. I know. I know. I told you then that I had not read the book yet. But I just looked back and that was two months ago. Shame on me.

I bought the book. I brought it home. I put in on a stack of other books. And then I did a bunch of other stuff. And I forgot all about Ed -- until this thread popped up again.

So today I got it out of the stack.

And I am going to read it.

I promise.

There I was, starting this thread, just chatting everybody up, getting some of you all interested in the book. Even got Oprah interested. Now she is talking about it.

And I have not even started it. Ohhhh, the shame, the shame of it all.

Boomer
Old 11-06-2008, 08:05 PM
Sage
Thanked 5,507 Times in 1,907 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Boom. I am so disappointed you cancelled your reservations for January to come to TV. I had so hoped to meet you. I like you so much.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:43 AM
Gold member

Boomer, GG, RWCW or any Edgar Sawtelle saga peruser, we might discuss this book for a bit when everyone has finished reading/hearing it's contents. My sense of this book changed for approximately the last quarter of the novel and it would be fun to hear from others. I can wait.
Old 11-08-2008, 08:49 AM
Taltarzac
Default Bought the book The Story of Edgar Sawtelle but...

...have not got around to reading it yet. I find this often happens, once I feel that I do not have to read it and get it back to the library, then I tend to put it aside and read the library books instead.

Would like to hear more about this book from people who have read it so that I will be able to drag myself away from the various library books I have out at the time like some of the Mr. Monk books by Lee Goldberg.
Old 11-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Gold member
Talking

Four chapters in and I can't put it down. The writing style is one I usually do not like but the story is what has captured my attention. Lovely book so far!
Old 11-08-2008, 10:52 AM
Sage

I have never been in a book club, mostly because I sometimes don't like to read the book that is going to be discussed. For some reasons books grab me and can stress me out for days and I can't shake them. I sometimes don't watch the news because I worry about things. I can't change me.

BUT. I wish, wish, wish, I could be in a discussion of literature and life with the folks who have posted on this thread. This for sure is on my bucket list.
Old 11-08-2008, 03:53 PM
Gold member
Talking

Gracie...I feel the same way...I joined a neighborhood group here in Piedmont...and then I found I didn't want to read what they were reading. I guess I am to impulsive when choosing books. I find something and want to start it immediately, if it doesn't capture me immediately I discard it and move on. That kind of attitude doesn't work well in a reading group!!!!
Old 11-08-2008, 04:15 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by beady View Post
Gracie...I feel the same way...I joined a neighborhood group here in Piedmont...and then I found I didn't want to read what they were reading. I guess I am to impulsive when choosing books. I find something and want to start it immediately, if it doesn't capture me immediately I discard it and move on. That kind of attitude doesn't work well in a reading group!!!!
Beady. I knew when I first laid eyes on you I would love you!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:05 PM
Gold member

Ooooh, Beady and GG.... please do not construe my interest in discussing somethings in Edgar Sawtelle as an attempt to begin a bookclub. I have no interest, nada, zilch, zippo to start anything of the sort. Homework days are past for me and I revel in that fact. What fun is it for me to read an appointed book and then discuss every detail? NONE! Bless those who enjoy that scenerio, there is something for everyone.

Last edited by Peachie; 11-13-2008 at 10:13 AM.
Old 11-08-2008, 06:08 PM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachie View Post
Ooooh, Beady and GG.... please do not contrue my interest in discussing somethings in Edgar Sawtelle as an attempt to begin a bookclub. I have no interest, nada, zilch, zippo to start anything of the sort. Homework days are past for me and I revel in that fact. What fun is it for me to read an appointed book and then discuss every detail? NONE! Bless those who enjoy that scenerio, there is something for everyone.
Yes. I so agree Peachblossom, but I would like a reason to be in something that I could chat with these nice people regularly.......in person!
Old 11-08-2008, 06:16 PM
Gold member

I can fully understand that, GG, and I'm sure there are lots of people that would love to be involved. I would only be good at the chatting and laughing part...
Old 11-08-2008, 06:17 PM
Sage

What could we call it? The UNbook club?
Old 11-08-2008, 06:28 PM
Gold member

I dunno, Gracie... how about "The Kicked Back, Slightly Engaged Group of Intelligent People Discussing Anything and Everything". Oh dear, I think I redicovered TOTV's.
Old 11-12-2008, 11:15 PM

dfn8tly & Boomer, Strictly on the weight of your words I have ordered this volume. I had not heard anything about it and had just finished unpacking boxes upon boxes of treasured books. I had given myself a lecture about having too many and had told myself no more(woe is me). Then I came upon your posts and ups is on their way again Thank you for telling us about it. Herb
Old 11-13-2008, 10:09 AM
Gold member
Talking

I have finished the book.....I told you I was impulsive. I could not put the darn book down...read into the night 2 nights running and finished up yesterday morning..........
Let me just say it is one of those books that you cannot release after you have finished reading. I have gone back and reread the last chapter twice. Now I find myself thinking of Edgar and analyzing his story. It is now one of my all time favorite books.

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.