Switching from Kindle to ... ?

Closed Thread
Old 01-13-2021, 07:31 AM

A second vote for my iPad. My reading options are Applebooks, Kindle. and I check out library books through Sumter Co, library, my Ohio Library and my sons library in Colorado. I am out there enough they gave me a card. I use Axis360, Libby and Overdrive through the libraries. I can also check out movies and magazines using other Library apps.
So there are lots of options when you use an iPad.
Old 01-13-2021, 01:15 PM
Default My suggestions.

Try FbReader, Apple Books, or Kobo.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:02 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by RLWooly View Post
I am an independent publisher, so I can tell you that The Zon (Amazon) is about 80% of the book market. There are many titles that are only available on Amazon, particularly if they are on Kindle Unlimited. Kobo was an Australian service that was bought our a couple of years ago by Walmart. Personally I use an iPad with the Kindle app, but I do a lot of other book related work on it. I wish you all the best in your decision!
I don't know where you're getting your facts. Kobo is owned by Rakuten, which is a Japanese e-commerce corporation, and is known as the Amazon of Japan. Kobo originated in Canada, not Australia. And no one I know has ever referred to Amazon as "the Zon."
Old 01-13-2021, 04:06 PM
Sage
Thanked 9,369 Times in 3,050 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polar Bear View Post
I think Amazon Prime membership is well worth the money. Shopping, shipping, video, reading, etc. I’m a supporter. I don’t think they are any better or worse than any large company. I just look for value for my money. And convenience has a high value to me. Amazon delivers...both literally and figuratively imo.

And a Kindle Paperwhite is going to be hard to match, especially if you like to read late in the day...very easy on the eyes.
If I bought more stuff online on a regular basis, I would join Prime in a heartbeat for the reasons you've mentioned. I like the Android operating system though, which was why I started with Nexus and then "graduated" to the Samsung tablet. I had considered a Kindle but it seemed more limited, and I wanted a tablet that could double as a mini laptop, which the Kindle couldn't do, at the time.

I wouldn't ever buy a dedicated e-reader though. The price comparison just makes a full tablet the better bang for the buck.

I still buy from Amazon, but I use credits that I've earned via various shopping apps and therefore don't ever pay out of my own pocket for anything on there. Plus I only buy the minimum for free shipping, and don't ever pay for shipping even without Prime. Lastly, on the rare occasion they offer Prime to try (or re-try, in my case), I take advantage of it and cancel before the trial period expires.

I get a few things from Amazon - mostly books (especially love the $1.99 book of the month club), a certain cat toy that no one sells around here that my cat loves, and the filter for under the kitchen sink.
Old 01-13-2021, 04:37 PM
Sage
Thanked 13,411 Times in 5,104 Posts

One of the best bargains is the Amazon Fire 7 inch tablet. The normal price is $50, but they often go on sale for less than $40 and I have even seen them for $25. It is a good size to read books, and it can be used as a full service tablet computer. You can use them as an alarm and weather clock or radio and you can talk to them with Alexa.
Old 01-13-2021, 05:46 PM
Veteran member

Higher end e-readers use "e-ink" to display text. There is no comparison between reading on one of those vs reading on a tablet, be it an iPad or an Android or whatever. I appreciate all the suggestions re: apps that I can run on my iPad but I will either continue to use my Kindle Paperwhite OR buy a new (non-Amazon) e-reader that has an e-ink display (or maybe both).

If you read a lot and have never seen a Paperwhite in person, you might want to check one out. The e-ink displays are amazing.

k.
Old 01-18-2021, 06:45 PM
Veteran member

In case anyone is interested, I decided to buy a Kobo Libra H2O, which is comparable (but $100 less) than the Kindle Oasis. So far I really like it. It is lighter than my Kindle Paperwhite and since I have arthritis in my wrists the Kobo is easier to hold. It has some features the Oasis does not. It is missing one Kindle feature that I know of so far but which can be worked around.

I purchased a book from the Kobo site and was able to use Calibre to convert it to a plain EPUB for use on other devices. I have also been able to transfer Amazon ebooks to the Kobo via Calibre (with plugins installed). So I am a happy camper. Now if I can just find time to read all the books I have stored on these devices ...

k.
Closed Thread

Tags
switching, kindle, popular, system, comments

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.