How many books do you read per year?

View Poll Results: Wonder what kind of readers we have on TOTV? How many books do you read per year?
0-2 3 10.34%
3-4 1 3.45%
5-6 1 3.45%
7-8 1 3.45%
9-10 2 6.90%
10-20 5 17.24%
21-30 3 10.34%
31-40 2 6.90%
41-50 1 3.45%
51-60 2 6.90%
61-70 1 3.45%
71-80 0 0%
81-90 1 3.45%
91-100 1 3.45%
> 101 3 10.34%
read other materials than books 2 6.90%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread
Old 02-04-2008, 06:06 PM
Taltarzac
Default How many books do you read per year?

I often read more than one book at a time so it is hard for me to answer this.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:04 PM
Eternal Member
Default Re: How many books do you read per week?

Normally I do 5-6 books a week, but I'm almost out of crayons. The only colors I have left are "flesh" and "thistle". :joke:

Seriously, I'll be very surprised if there is much dispersal in answers to this question. In a period as short as a week, I expect 95%+ to answer with the first option. Suggest the time period be expanded to 1 month and that zero be a separate selection. It's unfortunately becoming less and less surprising to find a large number of people who have not read an actual book since school days. :yikes:
And it's Munc"L"e, not Munc"I"e
Old 02-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Taltarzac
Default Re: How many books do you read per year?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Muncle
Normally I do 5-6 books a week, but I'm almost out of crayons. The only colors I have left are "flesh" and "thistle". :joke:

Seriously, I'll be very surprised if there is much dispersal in answers to this question. In a period as short as a week, I expect 95%+ to answer with the first option. Suggest the time period be expanded to 1 month and that zero be a separate selection. It's unfortunately becoming less and less surprising to find a large number of people who have not read an actual book since school days. :yikes:
Thanks, Muncle. Edited the poll and reset it to zero.

"You're just jealous because the voices only talk to me."

About these voices? Are people attached to them? Once had a fellow student at the U of Denver Graduate School of Librarianship and Information Management who always demanded an extra seat for her invisible friend. I just see numbers in weird places and think they may mean something. Who knows?
Old 02-04-2008, 10:27 PM
Platinum member

Is question How many per week or per year? I thought was per week, then graph showed per year.
Tampa, FL
Old 02-05-2008, 12:51 AM
Soaring Parsley
Thanked 2,220 Times in 752 Posts

Tal,

I am too embarrassed to take part in your poll. I need a category that says, "Not enough. -Not even close." But your question did remind me how much I like to read.

I see from your posts that you are very connected to libraries. I know a couple of people who work in public libraries, and I think most of the book loving public would not believe some of the stories librarians could tell.

I saw a review of a recently published book titled "Free for All: Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library" by Don Borchert. I have not read it yet, but I might.

Has there ever been an attempt on TOTV to start a thread of book recommendations? -not anything as elaborate as book discussions, but something with recommendations here and there, with maybe just a blurb to go with the rec.

-just wondering and I thought you would be the one to ask.

Boomer
Old 02-05-2008, 02:28 AM
Sage
Send a message via AIM to l2ridehd

I read way to much. About or more then 100 books a year. Better then television, can do anywhere, and usually the book is better then the movie.

I have a cat who hears voices. He will be laying around quiet as a mouse. All of a sudden he will jump 2 feet in the air and take off like his butt is on fire. Runs around the house 90 miles an hour, then settles back down. Has to be the voices.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:34 AM
Eternal Member

As mentioned in an earlier post, the Subject is how many books do you read a week but the poll asks how many books do you read a year. Based on that I read 1/2 of a book a week but about 25-30 a year - and I also have two books going a time depending on the library turnaround.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Avista
Is question How many per week or per year? I thought was per week, then graph showed per year.
Right, it is per year. I modified the question after some insightful input. ;D
Old 02-05-2008, 03:38 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
As mentioned in an earlier post, the Subject is how many books do you read a week but the poll asks how many books do you read a year. Based on that I read 1/2 of a book a week but about 25-30 a year - and I also have two books going a time depending on the library turnaround.
Per year. ;D
Old 02-05-2008, 03:43 AM
Eternal Member

Is it possible to change the Subject to read year instead of week. You might get more takers.

I checked the post because I wanted to see who read how many books a week. I know that I can do one a day if I really put my mind to it but would I enjoy it? I don't think so. You need to read so much and put the book aside and think about what you read. Since I do mostly mystery fiction, my time is spent trying to decide who done it.

Second star to the right, then straight on 'til morning.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:52 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaveman
Is it possible to change the Subject to read year instead of week. You might get more takers.

I checked the post because I wanted to see who read how many books a week. I know that I can do one a day if I really put my mind to it but would I enjoy it? I don't think so. You need to read so much and put the book aside and think about what you read. Since I do mostly mystery fiction, my time is spent trying to decide who done it.
I changed it at the original post to read "year" rather than "week". Thanks.
Old 02-05-2008, 03:57 AM
Sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taltarzac
I changed it at the original post to read "year" rather than "week". Thanks.

Tal:

You need to make zero a separate answer - I don't want to be counted in with the people who read 1 or 2; people might think I spend all my time in a library.
Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Old 02-05-2008, 03:58 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer BeBack
Tal,

I am too embarrassed to take part in your poll. I need a category that says, "Not enough. -Not even close." But your question did remind me how much I like to read.

I see from your posts that you are very connected to libraries. I know a couple of people who work in public libraries, and I think most of the book loving public would not believe some of the stories librarians could tell.

I saw a review of a recently published book titled "Free for All: Oddballs, Geeks, and Gangstas in the Public Library" by Don Borchert. I have not read it yet, but I might.

Has there ever been an attempt on TOTV to start a thread of book recommendations? -not anything as elaborate as book discussions, but something with recommendations here and there, with maybe just a blurb to go with the rec.

-just wondering and I thought you would be the one to ask.

Boomer
Agree with you there. All kinds of characters are in public librarianship. You get the good, the bad, and the ugly (in spirit). Law librarianship is a lot worse as many of the people in that profession are also lawyers or at least have law degrees.

I have not noticed any large thread on recommended books even though smaller postings have showed up. I started one a ways back. https://www.talkofthevillages.com/sm...ic,1806.0.html
Old 02-05-2008, 03:59 AM
Taltarzac

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckinca

Tal:

You need to make zero a separate answer - I don't want to be counted in with the people who read 1 or 2; people might think I spend all my time in a library.
That's funny. :bigthumbsup:
Old 02-05-2008, 04:10 AM
Sage

And speaking of Libraries - - -

I went to HS with two brothers who's father was a prof of library science at Univ of Chicago.
Talk about weird kids! They used to play poker at their house with a bunch of their geek friends and at each bet they would bet in a different language - and not just saying numbers either.

About 15 years later I ran into the older one in the unemployment line. He said he was working on his 3rd PhD.

Da Chicago So Side; The Village of Park Forest, IL; 3/7 Cav, 3rd Inf Div, Schweinfurt, Ger 65-66; MACV J12 Saigon 66-67; San Leandro, Hayward & Union City, CA (San Francisco East Bay Area) GO DUBS ! (aka W's)
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.