U.S. Secret Service

Closed Thread
Old 03-30-2014, 08:41 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation U.S. Secret Service

Thirty-three years ago today was the assassination attempt on President Reagan. That generation of Secret Service Agents has retired and some have passed away. Dennis V.N. McCarthy (not the Dennis McCarthy who was shot) was the first agent to lay hands on Hinkley. Prior to both of us being reassigned to Washington, Dennis had worked for me in New Orleans. Dennis is gone.

Jerry Parr, who shoved the President into the Limo, and who discovered that he was bleeding, has retired and gone into the ministry, where he worked for several years nursing AIDS patients.

Jerry has written a book about his career called In the Secret Service: The True Story of the Man Who Saved President Reagan's Life, which is available from Amazon. I recommend it.

Old 03-30-2014, 08:43 PM
Gold member

Sounds like a book I want to read. Thanks.
Old 03-30-2014, 10:33 PM
Soaring Eagle member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post
Thirty-three years ago today was the assassination attempt on President Reagan. That generation of Secret Service Agents has retired and some have passed away. Dennis V.N. McCarthy (not the Dennis McCarthy who was shot) was the first agent to lay hands on Hinkley. Prior to both of us being reassigned to Washington, Dennis had worked for me in New Orleans. Dennis is gone.

Jerry Parr, who shoved the President into the Limo, and who discovered that he was bleeding, has retired and gone into the ministry, where he worked for several years nursing AIDS patients.

Jerry has written a book about his career called In the Secret Service: The True Story of the Man Who Saved President Reagan's Life, which is available from Amazon. I recommend it.

Thanks for the heads up. Just downloaded it to my Kindle.
Old 03-31-2014, 05:29 AM
Sage
Thanked 5,493 Times in 1,903 Posts
Send a message via AIM to graciegirl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl in Tampa View Post

It is good to hear these real things. The Secret Service is recently getting a black eye for their shenanigans accompanying the president.

I will be looking forward to reading this book. Thank you Carl.
Old 03-31-2014, 04:07 PM
Platinum member
Exclamation Calling for Change

Quote:
Originally Posted by graciegirl View Post
It is good to hear these real things. The Secret Service is recently getting a black eye for their shenanigans accompanying the president.

I will be looking forward to reading this book. Thank you Carl.
Retired USSS Agent Dan Emmett has had an article appear on the Washington Post Opinion Page in which he blames the aberrant behavior of some Secret Service personnel while on protective assignments on failed leadership. He calls for "... a general purge of some top-level managers through forced retirement."

Emmett lays a major part of the blame for alleged USSS leadership problems to the move of the agency from the Department of the Treasury to the Department of Homeland Security.

"From its creation until shortly after the Sept. 11, 2001, attacks, the Secret Service fell under the Treasury Department, where it operated efficiently and largely unencumbered. However, after Osama bin Laden attacked America, the Secret Service became part of the Department of Homeland Security — a massive and nightmarish new federal bureaucracy. In this environment, many young and ill-prepared agents were promoted to positions of management far too early in their careers to supervise a significant number of new positions. Today, many of those agents who were promoted too soon are at the highest levels of the Secret Service."

He also opines, "...the next director should come from outside the agency, rather than rising up through the rank and file. When drastic changes are needed, it is difficult for someone who is friends with almost everyone in headquarters to make objective decisions. In this case, the agency needs someone with no allegiances to top-level managers."

There is a whole lot more to the article at;

Alcohol isn’t the Secret Service’s problem. Lousy leadership is. - The Washington Post
Old 04-01-2014, 07:54 AM
Veteran member

There is no doubt that maturity matters in effective management and leadership.

There are always a few outstanding young leaders that exhibit maturity at a young age... but IMO they are odd data points... the exception, not the rule!

Maturity is often a tempering process where people learn over time!
Old 04-01-2014, 09:32 AM
Platinum member

where I worked one of the pharmacists got an MBA and then assumed he should be given any supervisory position that opened. He was the most immature person I've ever met. When he wasn't chosen, he complained and criticized ad nauseum. Never understood that anyone smart enough could get the degree but real leadership ability was something else. He ended up transferring to another facility to get a supervisor position. I pity them.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.