What are you reading???

Closed Thread
Old 02-19-2014, 08:15 AM

Finished Leviathan: The History of Whaling in America by Eric Dolin; started reading Hearts in Atlantis by Stephen King.
Old 02-24-2014, 08:38 PM
Veteran member

I Remember Me by Carl Reiner
Old 02-24-2014, 09:47 PM
Sage
Thanked 2,154 Times in 770 Posts

I just finished Tune In, the first book of a trilogy entitled, The Beatles, All These Years by Mark Lewishon. It is absolutely awesome. It covers the period up until the end of 1962.

I am about half way through a book called "Grain Brain" by Dr David Perlmutter about the damage we are doing to ourselves by eating gluten and grains in general. Amazing stuff.
The Beatlemaniacs of The Villages meet every Friday 10:00am at the O'Dell Recreation Center.

"I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend." - Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800.
Old 02-24-2014, 10:03 PM
Sage
Thanked 1,922 Times in 783 Posts

I am reading Wally Lamb's We are Water. I've been reading it and reading it and reading it. Despite the fact that his other two novels (She's Come Undone and I Know This Much Is True) I couldn't put down, this one is getting me down. Long and tedious.

I keep having a feeling it's going somewhere, but if it doesn't get there soon, I will go on to something else.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:12 AM

I am reading Cutting For Stone by Abraham Verghese. So far it is excellent.

"Marion and Shiva Stone are twin brothers born of a secret union between a beautiful Indian nun and a brash British surgeon. Orphaned by their mother’s death and their father’s disappearance, bound together by a preternatural connection and a shared fascination with medicine, the twins come of age as Ethiopia hovers on the brink of revolution.

Moving from Addis Ababa to New York City and back again, Cutting for Stone is an unforgettable story of love and betrayal, medicine and ordinary miracles—and two brothers whose fates are forever intertwined."
Old 03-26-2014, 08:42 AM
Sage

The Bully Pulpit by Doris Kearns Goodwin. This woman, really knows how to make history come alive.

The story of the relationship between Teddy Roosevelt and William Howard Taft and the rise of journalism in the early 20th century. I am always amazed at someone who can write such a long book on history, and keep you captivated, as she weaves her characters well.

Doris, aslo won the Pulitzer Prize, for Team Of Rivals - The Political Genius of Abraham Lincoln. Much different from the movie version.

Highly recommend Doris Kearns Goodwin as she has written several historical books and Jean Edward Smith, (male), who wrote the definitive biography of FDR, Grant and Eisenhower - The War Years. Both writers do a ton of research, and all of their books are rich in details, that I find amazing.

They are pretty big books, so put your reading shoes on.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-30-2014, 07:36 AM

Cutting For Stone was an excellent book.

Now I am reading Three Little Words by Ashley Rhode Courter.
"Sunshine, you're my baby and I'm your only mother. You must mind the one taking care of you, but she's not your mama." Ashley Rhodes-Courter spent nine years of her life in fourteen different foster homes, living by those words. As her mother spirals out of control, Ashley is left clinging to an unpredictable, dissolving relationship, all the while getting pulled deeper and deeper into the foster care system.

Painful memories of being taken away from her home quickly become consumed by real-life horrors, where Ashley is juggled between caseworkers, shuffled from school to school, and forced to endure manipulative,humiliating treatment from a very abusive foster family. In this inspiring, unforgettable memoir, Ashley finds the courage to succeed - and in doing so, discovers the power of her own voice."
Old 03-30-2014, 08:20 AM
Platinum member

The Accursed by Joyce Carol Oates. Really enjoying it.
Old 03-30-2014, 08:21 AM

Just read the Steve Jobs bio. It was very enlightening, even to a long-time Apple fan.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:07 AM
Gold member

The Boys in the Boat. It's about the journey to the 1936 Olympics involving a bunch of kids from U. Of Washington. Very excellent.
Old 03-30-2014, 11:36 AM
Sage

The Admirals by Walter R. Boreman. A WW2 book about the US Navy.

I just want to do the right thing! Uncle Joe, (my hero).
Old 03-30-2014, 12:28 PM
Gold member
Default Series

2nd one in Alex Berenson's series with protagonist John Wells - learning a lot about Afghanistan as well as the CIA. Holding my interest. Recently finished Maria Semple's "Where'd You Go, Bernadette"? which I thought was excellent. I would describe it as contemporary women's fiction. Funny as well as thought-provoking.
Closed Thread

You are viewing a new design of the TOTV site. Click here to revert to the old version.